Wiki Posts
Search

Scotland/Ireland with family

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2024, 7:12 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by antichef
Dublin to Giants causeway is 3 hours drive in each direction. It will not be "a quick run up"

This itinerary already has a very punishing schedule of non-stop days of long driving with small children, without adding another. I am not sure that the OP has also considered that those days at that time of year in Scotland and Ireland could be raining all day with poor visibility and slower transit times - and what any alternative plan will be!
Um, the inference was clearly from Belfast, not Dublin, as Belfast was already on the itinerary. Not quite and hour and half each way from there so more of a "run" really.
Some folks enjoy driving and the schedule really only has one really long day on the road. (Day 4) But even that is via very decent roads. My guess is that with kids aboard even in the dry, the utmost caution will be taken vis a vis driving style, speed etc., and so the rain may not cause too much hassle along the way, but certainly would put a damper on any destinations.

TravelDoorsOut likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I wouldn't take on that itinerary. I would schedule no more than 3 hours driving per day... driving in Scotland is exhausting as the roads are not designed for long distance. With the A9 as the exception.

Whatever the OP ends up doing, I hope they enjoy it. I love Scotland and get homesick for it, even though i never lived there.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by mjm
Um, the inference was clearly from Belfast, not Dublin, as Belfast was already on the itinerary. Not quite and hour and half each way from there so more of a "run" really.
Some folks enjoy driving and the schedule really only has one really long day on the road. (Day 4) But even that is via very decent roads. My guess is that with kids aboard even in the dry, the utmost caution will be taken vis a vis driving style, speed etc., and so the rain may not cause too much hassle along the way, but certainly would put a damper on any destinations.
kids sleep great in the car, and have iPads for when we need quiet they are professional travelers and will enjoy pit stops for snacks.
mjm likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 9:14 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by mjm
It says on Day 13 that they are travelling from Dublin to Belfast day trip. Adding the Giants Causeway makes it a 3 hour drive in each direction before you count stop time to visit venues in both Belfast and Giants Causeway.

I normally recommend that the Giants Causeway is a day trip from Belfast, and could take in Carrick-a Rede rope bridge and return down the East coast of Co Antrim with possibly Carrickfergus Castle as a very full day. But not starting and finishing in Dublin! I live in Co Antrim [and Scotland] and reckon I know the roads and journey times well enough for the recommendations I have given.
mjm likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mjm
My guess is that with kids aboard even in the dry, the utmost caution will be taken vis a vis driving style, speed etc...
No doubt. But that is why it will take 7 hours (plus pitstops) to drive from Edinburgh to Tiree, rather than 5½. The OP should not underestimate the winding, hilly nature of the roads, nor the challenge of driving on the "wrong" side of narrow roads.

By any measure, this is a punishing schedule with (imho) far too much driving and not nearly enough time to kick back, relax and enjoy the quiet charms of Scotland and Ireland. Everything on the itinerary is worth seeing, but you cannot do it all in two weeks.
TravelDoorsOut and plunet like this.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 11:24 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Misco60
No doubt. But that is why it will take 7 hours (plus pitstops) to drive from Edinburgh to Tiree, rather than 5½. The OP should not underestimate the winding, hilly nature of the roads, nor the challenge of driving on the "wrong" side of narrow roads.

By any measure, this is a punishing schedule with (imho) far too much driving and not nearly enough time to kick back, relax and enjoy the quiet charms of Scotland and Ireland. Everything on the itinerary is worth seeing, but you cannot do it all in two weeks.
I did it at the speed limit with a kid in the car and it took 5 1/2 hours a month ago. I also added a side trip down to Glen Etieve which is a 12 mile single track road and that added about an hour for a total of 6 1/2..

Nothing at all challenging about the roads in Scotland and once you have figured out how to give way and be polite on single track roads it’s very simple.
Old Jun 29, 2024, 2:15 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
The OP will know their own family and plans, but when asked where to take three young children for a visit near Belfast I often recommend Carrickfergus Castle. Easy to drive to and fascinating for kids and adults alike. Passing an hour or two there is easy. Traditional "Fish and chips" at the cafe opposite for lunch and your day is well filled!
https://discovernorthernireland.com/...castle-p674971
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrickfergus_Castle

Looking round and exploring an 800 year old building is novel for most American kids. Realising the US link with John Paul Jones during the War of Independence is yet another surprise that they will remember for bragging stories with their school pals on their return!

The Ulster Transport Museum and Ulster Folk Museum are also good for kids and are close together near Belfast but need about two hours each.

The day trip to Giants Causeway added to this would have filled three days out of Belfast alone without long drives, and filled it with interesting exploration and wonder for the family.

The OP would probably be better off by planning two weeks in Scotland or in Ireland at a slower and more practical pace to allow time for seeing places and sights, and do the other country on another trip.
mjm, farci, :D! and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 29, 2024, 6:05 pm
:D!

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Everything may look beautiful on a google photo search, but after about a week of this itinerary all the nice scenery will start to look the same.

The proposed itinerary is not as bad as I've seen, there is a bit of down time. Some Americans posting on other forums seem to think they can finish work on Friday, fly TATL that evening (waking up at 2am body clock time), do 6+ hours driving every day for the next 15 days then go straight back to work on Monday.

I really think that unless you have already decided you are never coming to the UK and Ireland again - toss a coin and choose Scotland or Ireland (island), do 15 days in one this time, then do 15 days in the other next year.

Otherwise what might happen is, you encounter something you want to explore further in Scotland, but you don't have time as you need to travel on to Ireland. Then on the next trip, you need to go to Scotland and drive the same roads again to get back to the place you missed out, which takes up extra time instead of just building in some flexi time in the first place.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mjm
I did it at the speed limit with a kid in the car and it took 5 1/2 hours a month ago.
Ah, now I see why our estimates of driving times differ...

When you say "the utmost caution will be taken vis a vis driving style, speed etc", you mean you won't exceed the speed limit, whereas I would be driving rather more cautiously than that (as I always do).

The OP can decide how fast he'll be driving through Scotland while the kids sleep or play with their iPads.

mjm likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 3:03 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Misco60
Ah, now I see why our estimates of driving times differ...

When you say "the utmost caution will be taken vis a vis driving style, speed etc", you mean you won't exceed the speed limit, whereas I would be driving rather more cautiously than that (as I always do).

The OP can decide how fast he'll be driving through Scotland while the kids sleep or play with their iPads.
Full disclosure, I was a despatch rider in London for 4 years in the mid-80's. Have lost the need for speed, but have retained the road awareness.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC
I can't comment on the state of the roads over in Ireland but based upon my 2022 experience the road maintenance budgets are obviously under pressure in Scotland and there are a goodly assortment of defects and potholes to also keep drivers on their toes and to slow you down (or cripple your progress if you don't pay attention). I can't imagine it's improved significantly since 2022.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 8:01 am
:D!

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Well in 2023 I did Glencoe, Oban and Galloway, many of the roads from Kintyre to Oban were freshly resurfaced, Glencoe to Tyndrum had a few potholes but nothing major (considering the tourist traffic that goes over it), all the A roads were ok really.

In contrast the roads in that grid of Tradeston, where they decided to not complete the east to south M74/M8 connection were absolutely awful, non-local drivers had to stop in the middle of the road and try to change lanes to avoid several big holes; the locals of course knew which lane they needed to be in earlier
Old Jun 30, 2024, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by :D!
Well in 2023 I did Glencoe, Oban and Galloway, many of the roads from Kintyre to Oban were freshly resurfaced, Glencoe to Tyndrum had a few potholes but nothing major (considering the tourist traffic that goes over it), all the A roads were ok really.

In contrast the roads in that grid of Tradeston, where they decided to not complete the east to south M74/M8 connection were absolutely awful, non-local drivers had to stop in the middle of the road and try to change lanes to avoid several big holes; the locals of course knew which lane they needed to be in earlier
That would be the difference between trunk roads maintained by the Scottish Government and local roads not maintained by the skint Glasgow City Council...
farci and :D! like this.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
As an American who has done multiple trips to Scotland since 1998 and Ireland since 2000 with annual trips to both since the pandemic's end, I'd say your itinerary is overly ambitious but doable--I just don't know how much you'll like doing it.

First, although there are modern motorways in both countries, much of the interesting stuff in the rural areas is accessible by two-lane or one-lane roads only. These roads can be twisting and turning with few straightaways. Don't expect to make much more than 35-40 mph (~70 kph in Ireland).

Second, as others have noted, daylight will be in shorter supply than in June/July/August. Probably by the time you have breakfast, you'll already have lost two of the slightly more than 12 hours of sunlight you can expect.

Third, those spectacular sights that have made you want to do this trip? They're also going to make you want to make frequent stops for photos.

Fourth, although I've never tried to combine a trip to Ireland and Scotland, I have island hopped in Hawaii. Each time, I didn't have time to do anything at my departure point or at my arrival point on the day of the flight. Yeah, the flight itself is short, but all the other things--dropping off/picking up a rental, clearing security, debarking, getting to your accommodations, checking in/out--takes time.

I'd encourage splitting the two trips. Do Scotland or Ireland now. Save the other for another year. In 2014, I did a six-week trip to Scotland. And even before I departed and even with the experience of four previous trips, I realized I'd never be able to cover every part of the country.

Don't shortchange yourself and your family regarding these two wonderful places.
Old Jul 1, 2024, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by antichef
Dublin to Giants causeway is 3 hours drive in each direction. It will not be "a quick run up"

This itinerary already has a very punishing schedule of non-stop days of long driving with small children, without adding another. I am not sure that the OP has also considered that those days at that time of year in Scotland and Ireland could be raining all day with poor visibility and slower transit times - and what any alternative plan will be!
what about Dublin to Belfast train? Is that any easier?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.