Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Possible Scam - Survey 5k Bonus Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2011, 7:41 am
Original Poster

I received this email about a survey on my most recent flight on my blackberry and the first thing it says is:

Special bonus: We've deposited 5,000 bonus miles into your account as a thank you.
To ensure receipt of our emails, please add [email protected] to your Address
Book.

When looking at it on Mail (mac) or Outlook (PC) or any other HTML based email program, there is absolute no mention on 5000 bonus miles. In fact, when searching for it, the number 5000 appears nowhere in this email. Any idea why this happens? Is this a scheme United is running? Doesn't make much sense to me....
Old May 10, 2011, 7:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
United gives bonus miles for doing surveys all the time.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...500-miles.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-delivery.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ted-email.html

and probably quite a few others.

They probably coded it poorly or used an old template and did not clear both the HTML and the TEXT information, which is why they don't match. It's real easy to do in the mail systems if you forget to regenerate the TEXT and send out two totally different messages without knowing it.

They probably wrote it and just looked at the HTML instead of both when they tested it.

Oh who am I kidding, they probably did not even test it.
Old May 10, 2011, 7:57 am
Original Poster

My question is should I now expect to receive 5000 bonus miles? If so, what is the best way to make sure I get them? Call customer service or email them?
Old May 11, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM, AA Gold, MR Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond
I wrote to 1K Voice and asked, as I didn't see the miles in my account either. Their answer was "7-14 business days" from the date of the e-mail with the notification that they'd deposited the miles.

So, I guess they meant to say that they were PLANNING to deposit the miles...
Old May 11, 2011, 1:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jackpaper
My question is should I now expect to receive 5000 bonus miles? If so, what is the best way to make sure I get them? Call customer service or email them?
Not sure of your concern --if they said you would receive the miles, just monitor your account to see if these are posted. It is not uncommon to take 4 to 8 weeks to post but maybe sooner. Seems premature to be using loaded words like scam.
Old May 11, 2011, 7:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
What some of us would like to know is how you got this survey invitation?
Old May 11, 2011, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
What some of us would like to know is how you got this survey invitation?
Don't know how I got it. Normally get surveys after flights. This was the first I have seen anything like this. I guess it was targeted?
Old May 12, 2011, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by FormerLurker
I wrote to 1K Voice and asked, as I didn't see the miles in my account either. Their answer was "7-14 business days" from the date of the e-mail with the notification that they'd deposited the miles.

So, I guess they meant to say that they were PLANNING to deposit the miles...
Did this finally happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.