Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Presidential Plus Card Changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by vandesa
If you cancel the card do you keep you FQMs or lose them?
It is my understanding that as soon as Chase puts them in your MP account to use they are yours to keep.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:33 pm
Formerly known as mmihalik

It's not clear from the "Terms & Conditions" but it would seem that all benefits of the Presidential Plus card are canceled if the card is cancelled.

The card account is tied to your United/Continental membership number, so I imagine the FEQMs are tied somehow, too. There is also mention of FEQMs earned after Jan 1, 2012 expiring after 39 months.

Would be best to get confirmation in writing from both Chase and United/Continental before doing anything drastic.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
I am cancelling the card because of a fraudulent charge. But instead of replacing it with the same I downgraded to just the United Explorer instead as I am not getting my use out of the United Membership really. It is equal to about 8 daily passeses.

I had 4 Business class UK trips that would have given me access to the UC anyway. The rest of my trips where I did use the club, would not have counted up to 8 visits.

I generally like to get to airport late and ususally leave not a lot of time for the UC visit. I also try to fly direct, also limited my use of UC. I do like it if there is delays or issues, but if I have to buy it I don't mind it.

I guess to be on the safe side I should just move the FQMs over and be done with it. There is not many, just over 6K left.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:54 pm
Formerly known as mmihalik

I usually travel domestically with my wife, so the card is worth it coming and going. We'll soon both have lifetime Premier Gold after I hit 1MM in a few weeks; so for our international personal travel flying economy, club access will be welcome.

Daily passes are required for each traveler.

It's been quite some time since either of us paid for Business Class. Sure, we'll take the upgrade if it comes along, but the product is just not worth the $$$ when they are coming out of my pocket. We both travel international on long hauls for business and pleasure. The clubs are a nice oasis along the way. We'd much rather spend the $$$ at our destination.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:04 pm
RNE

Keep them.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: United - GS, Hilton - Diamond, Starwood - Gold
For those that were wondering a few pages back about this scenario: I transferred 8000 of the flexible miles this year that I had earned in prior years with the Presidential Plus card. I wasn't anticipating traveling so much for work, so figured I should transfer them to help me get to Platinum faster... I did this very early on in the year. I recently surpassed 100K elite qualifying miles (including the FQM) and I got the 1K status from United. So, it doesn't appear they have put in any tech fixes to stop people from using FQM and ultimately having that count for miles to reach 1K status

I have a ton more travel I need to do the rest of the year, so I would have earned 1K anyway without transferring the 8K in FQM. Oh well! Hindsight is 20/20!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by lcnyc123
For those that were wondering a few pages back about this scenario: I transferred 8000 of the flexible miles this year that I had earned in prior years with the Presidential Plus card.
<snip>
I recently surpassed 100K elite qualifying miles (including the FQM) and I got the 1K status from United.
Did you transfer the Flex PQM prior to the 3/3 switchover, or after?

Another person posted a similar experience, but it was very early in the year. I'm suspecting they put the IT block on this on FEQM transferred after 3/3, but FEQM before 3/3 just got carried over as EQM...
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: United - GS, Hilton - Diamond, Starwood - Gold
Originally Posted by AquaDyne
Did you transfer the Flex PQM prior to the 3/3 switchover, or after?

Another person posted a similar experience, but it was very early in the year. I'm suspecting they put the IT block on this on FEQM transferred after 3/3, but FEQM before 3/3 just got carried over as EQM...
I just checked and did the transfer in January of this year.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Originally Posted by lcnyc123
I just checked and did the transfer in January of this year.
So what is supposed to happen when we deposited 5,000 PQMs in July, to get us to 75,000, and have then flown another 25,000 flight miles?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by stopdiabetes
So what is supposed to happen when we deposited 5,000 PQMs in July, to get us to 75,000, and have then flown another 25,000 flight miles?
Nothing happens. Including that you don't get the miles back, but this is as it should be. Someone might, for example, deposit FEQMs because they wanted to make Platinum status in July in order to get benefits for a trip in September.

Obviously, the smart strategy if you want to conserve FEQMS would be to deposit them in late December. If conserving FEQMs was your concern... why did you deposit them in July?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wizzy
Not sure if this is the right place, so delete/move if necessary....

I'm near the end of my free first year, and am about to get hit with the $395 annual feel (I have the PP, not the club card). I've enjoyed the UC access, but I'm having trouble justifying the annual fee. I'm curious if others have threatened to cancel and if so, were there any retention offers?
To answer my own question, I went to cancel and was offered a choice of 10k miles or a $100 statement credit; I took the credit.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:57 am

Wizzy,

Just to be clear...

You went to cancel your Presidential Card membership and in order to get you to stay Chase gave you a choice of 10,000 miles or a $100 credit?

I would take the same chance of canceling (mine is up for renewal in December) but I am afraid they just might say "okay, we will cancel."
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:19 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
...I am afraid they just might say "okay, we will cancel."
If they call your bluff, you can always say, "Wait! I changed my mind."
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
If they call your bluff, you can always say, "Wait! I changed my mind."
Yeah, just tell them that they've been "very persuasive". They'll get a good laugh out of it.

Or you can say that you find the contrapostive to "I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER" is a compelling argument.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 2MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JeffK69
I was on the phone this very morning making the inquiry and apparently once you hit Plat, you are topped out in terms of how far they can take you with regards to elite status. And to add insult to injury..... get this, it gives you a false sense of where you are tracking throughout the year if you are tranferring them in as you go because let's say you hit 100K with a mix of flying and spending on the card. You assume you are at the 1K level, apparently not the case. You will need to subtract all the miles you tranferred in to find out how many more miles you actually need to hit 1K. Did I explain that right? This is how it was explained to me this morning. So once you are at 75K with a mix, that is it! To go farther you need to fly 100K per year otherwise they are useless, especially for us who hit 75K annually without the card but need a little push to get to the top.

You will have to fly them, actually flown miles to hit 1K, from what I was told.
So how are you supposed to track how many you need miles you need to make 1K? I know I've transferred some Flex PQMs a few times this year, but I don't remember exactly how many. When you hover over the "graph" on your elite status, it says that it may be incorrect on how many PQMs are needed to make 1K. Does this apply to the numerical figure as well?

It seems like if they could run a program to exclude the miles from counting, they could use the same program to tell you how many you need!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.