Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Upgrade Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Spg Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, United 1k
Companion Upgrade Help

Four months into United and still trying to figuire out how the companion upgrade process works...

3 of us booked on a flight, 2 are plat, 1 is silver.

T-72 (6-R Class seats available)

Res 1 has 1 Platinum travelling on his own reservation.
Res 2 has 1 Plat & 1 Silver travelling together. (hoping for the companion upg)

Reservation 1 Gets upgraded at T-75
Reservation 2 Nothing.

At this time, there are still 5 - R Class Seats still remain available.

Shouldn't the platinum and silver on Res # 2 been upgraded?

I called United and recieved three different answers from 3 agents.
1- The Silver held back the platinum, they would both be upgraded on day of departure.

2- You have to split the reservation, the system does not upgrade two people at the same time.

3- Yes, it should have worked, but oh well, it didn't, you have to wait until it does.

What is the correct process. I do not want to mess up the return flight, and I will split as necessary.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by luxetraveller
Four months into United and still trying to figuire out how the companion upgrade process works...

3 of us booked on a flight, 2 are plat, 1 is silver.

T-72 (6-R Class seats available)

Res 1 has 1 Platinum travelling on his own reservation.
Res 2 has 1 Plat & 1 Silver travelling together. (hoping for the companion upg)

Reservation 1 Gets upgraded at T-75
Reservation 2 Nothing.

At this time, there are still 5 - R Class Seats still remain available.

Shouldn't the platinum and silver on Res # 2 been upgraded?

I called United and recieved three different answers from 3 agents.
1- The Silver held back the platinum, they would both be upgraded on day of departure.

2- You have to split the reservation, the system does not upgrade two people at the same time.

3- Yes, it should have worked, but oh well, it didn't, you have to wait until it does.

What is the correct process. I do not want to mess up the return flight, and I will split as necessary.
The answer is #3. This sort of thing happens a lot..wait until the next 24 cycle... 48 hours before the flight. The CPU process will run again and most likely they will both be upgraded at that point. I have no concrete explanation as for why they were passed over, but I've seen it myself as a 1K several times. DO NOT split the record unless you get inside 24 hours and they still haven't cleared..but I'm pretty confident they'll clear.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
And just to be sure you are aware, Complimentary Premium Upgrades do NOT clear into the R bucket on the new United. So you can't see how many slots are available for complimentary upgrades.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Air Houston
And just to be sure you are aware, Complimentary Premium Upgrades do NOT clear into the R bucket on the new United. So you can't see how many slots are available for complimentary upgrades.
Well, yes they do clear in to R, but the displayed R inventory is not necessarily the amount of CPU upgrades they will clear the next time the process runs. The actual number is a mystery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.