Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jgsx
Welcome to becoming United elite! As a Premier member, you’ll get the following benefits available to all Premier members, including:
  • Premier Access (priority lines at check-in, security screening, and customer service locations; priority baggage handling)
  • Priority phone service. No need to call the special number on your call – just call 1-800-UNITED-1 and enter your MP number (or enter your number on your online profile, and it will recognize you). You will receive a simplified automated phone tree, as well as reduced hold times and “better” agents in proportion to your status.
  • A minimum of 500 PQMs earned on each segment flown on United, United Express, and selected partners (such as Air Canada, Copa).
  • Unlimited Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) in non-Global First/BusinessFirst markets for you and up to 1 companion
  • “Instant upgrades” on Y and B fares in non-Global First/BusinessFirst markets. If you buy these fares, your upgrade right will trump lots of other folks’, causing them to come to FT and complain.
  • Access to sold-out flights
  • Enhanced availability for Economy Saver awards.
  • Last-seat availability for all Standard awards.
  • Waived upgrade copays for domestic mileage upgrades.

NOTE - Your Premier benefits are not cumulative with your United-branded Chase credit card. The higher benefit will take precedent over the lower one.

Premier Silver

Welcome to the first level of United elite status! At this level, you’ll get the following benefits in addition to above:
  • Boarding in Group 2.
  • Access to Economy Plus (E+) with 1 companion at check-in (or maybe only 24-hours before a specific segment). In practice, you will almost always be able to get E+ seating as the flight nears, if you know what you’re doing. You can also get E+ for a companion, and they don’t ven really need to be on the same PNR – just call and have them placed next to you.
  • Your CPUs can clear as soon as 24 hours from departure. As a Silver, you will likely only receive CPUs (1) to leisure destinations (like Hawaii), (2) on very empty flights, (3) at leisure times (like weekends and holidays), and (4) on regional jets with large first-class cabins. Because CPUs *will be rare for you*, you’re best off not fussing too much about them, and just enjoying them when they happen.
  • 7x RDM multiplier per PQD.
  • One free checked bag up to 50 lbs.
  • Reduced award fees.
  • Sold-out flight Access: Y-fare ticket until T-24 hours

As a Silver, you also receive *A Silver (*S) status. When you travel on a *A partner, your *S will get you practically nothing.

Premier Gold

Welcome to Gold status, the first level with benefits far beyond what you can get through a United-branded Chase credit card!

You get everything that Silvers get and more, including:
  • E+ at booking for you and one companion.
  • 8x RDM multiplier per PQD
  • Better upgrade chances. You CPUs can clear as soon as 48 hours from departure. Although a better chance from Silver, you may still want to work on improving your upgrade odds by (1) Aim for bigger planes or with larger C cabins,(2) use SDC to move to flights where you have better odds at the last minute. Learn the ins and outs of how CPU’s work. If you’re based out of SFO/EWR/IAD, or fly mostly hub-to-hub flights, though, you’re still not going to see much success.
  • Free, unlimited use of SDC and standby privileges.
  • 2 free checked bags, up to 70 lbs each.
  • Further reduced award fees.

As a Gold, you also receive *A Gold (*G) status. When you travel on a *A partner, your *G will get you :

Premier Platinum

Everything that Golds get, plus the following:
  • Group 1 boarding.
  • E+ at booking time for you and up to 8 companions.
  • Even better upgrade chances. You CPUs can clear as soon as 72 hours from departure.
  • 9x RDM multiplier per PQD
  • 2 RPUs and 2 more RPUs for every additional 25K PQMs.
  • 1 extra checked bag (3 total), up to 70 lbs each.
  • Until October 2016 - Fully waived award fees.
  • Sold-out flight Access: Y-fare ticket until T-2 hours
  • *A Gold status (just like Premier Gold)

Premier 1K

Everything that that Platinums get, plus the following:
  • Even better upgrade chances. Your CPUs can clear as soon as 96 hours from departure.
  • 11x RDM multiplier per PQD
  • 6 GPUs, 2 RPUs, and 2 more GPUs for every additional 50K PQMs accumulated after reaching Premier 1K.
  • Fully waived award fees.
  • Instant Upgrades on M-fares in addition to Y- and B-fares
  • Sold-out flight Access: Y/B-fare ticket until T-90 minutes
  • 1K 1Call dedicated line

Global Services
Everything that Premier 1Ks get, plus the following:
  • The best upgrade chances. Your CPUs can clear as soon as 120 hours from departure.
  • All GS upgrades process into PN. This includes GPUs, RPUs, CPUs and miles.
  • Dedicated phone line with US-based agents; phone usually answered within 30 seconds.
  • Special handling during irregular operations, including possible Mercedes-Benz transfers across the tarmac when passengers have close connections at hubs.
  • Ability to upgrade award tickets using mileage and RPUs/GPUs; domestic itineraries are eligible for CPUs in priority just after revenue GS passengers.
  • Ability for agents to "open" saver award inventory if "T" fare bucket is available.
Print Wikipost

Guide to United's Premier Status Levels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016 | 9:04 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Zeug
Wondering if someone with more power than little ol' me can update the wiki to reflect the new RDM earning based on spend. This is still a good resource for those new to Mileage Plus.

Kent
I updated the wiki to reflect the new mileage earning scheme, though I didn't add an explanation of PQD.

In the *Gold section, I also removed a link to a thread discussing premium seating on US as that was before the US/AA merger. I don't know if there are other threads out there discussing getting premium seating as *G--if so, I left the note in the section about that, so people can add link(s) there as they see fit!
Old Jan 11, 2016 | 10:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by United777Heavy
Can anyone enlighten me on why this is a benefit...

Not the actual benefit, but from 1 additional (Silver/Gold) to 8 additional companions. Why Gold isn't 2+???

Seems pretty excessive to me. I can understand 2,3, 4... but 8?

and finally, and I think if I remember from my trips prior... *Gold, international travel, lounges... can Gold/Plat/1K bring 1 additional guest into club/lounge?
I just booked 6 flights for me, my spouse and four kids. Though not 8, I do use 6 quite often.

Yes, Star Alliance Gold gets +1 into lounges. Bummer that my four kids can't enjoy the Senator lounge in FRA with me on that same flight.
Old Jan 11, 2016 | 10:11 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, DL-DM, AS-MVP100, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by United777Heavy
Can anyone enlighten me on why this is a benefit...

Not the actual benefit, but from 1 additional (Silver/Gold) to 8 additional companions (Plat/1k). Why Gold isn't 2+???

Seems pretty excessive to me. I can understand 2,3, 4... but 8?

and finally, and I think if I remember from my trips prior... when *aGold, international travel... can Gold/Plat/1K bring 1 additional guest into club/lounge?
It's probably 8 because that is the limit of how many companions you can normally book on a single reservation. Anything with ten or more in total is a group reservation.
Old Jan 11, 2016 | 10:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by windhund
I updated the wiki to reflect the new mileage earning scheme, though I didn't add an explanation of PQD.

In the *Gold section, I also removed a link to a thread discussing premium seating on US as that was before the US/AA merger. I don't know if there are other threads out there discussing getting premium seating as *G--if so, I left the note in the section about that, so people can add link(s) there as they see fit!
Thank you Windhund. I believe Silver is 7X and general member is 5X however.
Old Jan 12, 2016 | 9:36 am

Thanks for catching that -- looks like someone already fixed it for me. Thanks, garykung.
Old Jan 12, 2016 | 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by windhund
Thanks for catching that -- looks like someone already fixed it for me. Thanks, garykung.
FWIW - I am correcting my mistakes.

We are both fixing the Wiki. But simply my version is more substantial than yours.
Old Apr 24, 2016 | 6:57 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question reciprocity query on Star Alliance

This WIKI is amazing! As a recent convert to MP, I wish I found it a year ago.......would have save me a lot of time.

I do have a query. As a member of the Star Alliance, UA offers G* members reciprocal lounge access. Why is this benefit limited to those on int'l flights? If I travel YUL-YYZ, my MP Gold card gets me lounge access. But not for LGA-ORD? Why does MP reciprocity only apply to travel outside the USA?
Old Apr 24, 2016 | 7:28 am
50 Countries Visited2M15 Years on Site

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
This WIKI is amazing! As a recent convert to MP, I wish I found it a year ago.......would have save me a lot of time.

I do have a query. As a member of the Star Alliance, UA offers G* members reciprocal lounge access. Why is this benefit limited to those on int'l flights? If I travel YUL-YYZ, my MP Gold card gets me lounge access. But not for LGA-ORD? Why does MP reciprocity only apply to travel outside the USA?
US airlines have a different business model for lounges than (most?) of the world's airlines. In the US, access to lounges is mostly by membership in the lounge itself. In other places, lounge access is given to the airlines' most frequent flyers. To accommodate the difference, US airlines limit lounge access on domestic flights to lounge members (and some elites connecting from international flights). If you are *G on a non-US airline, I understand that you do get access to domestic lounges (I'm not completely sure about this). You may also get access to *G lounges of foreign carriers on domestic flights (again, I'm not completely sure about this). I'm a lifetime member of the United Clubs, so I don't think about access when flying domestically.
Old Apr 24, 2016 | 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Antonio8069

Because business travel is very common in the US. If they allowed anyone with Gold into the lounge regardless of where they are flying, they clubs would be even more packed than they are today
Old Aug 13, 2016 | 5:31 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, A3*G, AR Platino, BA Gold
Hi there,
my English is not perfect, so I would just like to know if it is correct that when you have no Status and then do 4 UA Segments and 56 *A Segments you receive *G Status (as a non US Resident)?
Do I need to do four Segments every time I reach a new Status level or are four Segments enough for 1K/Plat/Gold?
Old Aug 13, 2016 | 5:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 330
Hi there,
my English is not perfect, so I would just like to know if it is correct that when you have no Status and then do 4 UA Segments and 56 *A Segments you receive *G Status (as a non US Resident)?
Do I need to do four Segments every time I reach a new Status level or are four Segments enough for 1K/Plat/Gold?
Just 4 UA operated segments once year for any status level. A total of 60 PQS is required for Gold, so 4 UA and 56 other *A segments would give you Premier Gold.

Be careful, not all discount economy fares on some *A partners earn PQS. Review this guide.

Given most *A flights are fairly long, you might make Premier Gold on PQMs (flight mileage). Still requires the 4 UA operated segments unless you qualify for a waiver of the that requirement. Certain credit cards provide that waiver but you need to be a present USA resident or have an appropriate USA residency history to apply for those cards.
Old Aug 13, 2016 | 5:42 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist, Moderator: United Airlines MlleagePlus
5 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 330
Hi there,
{ninjaed}

You are correct. Four total segments on UA metal (UA plane, not just UA flight number) are required for any status level including 1K.

If you have a non-US address, credit 60 PQS of *A flights, and have at least 4 UA segments, you will be Gold.

You should be careful about these things:
- You must fly 4 actual segments on UA (First/Business Class will earn 1.5 PQS but still counts for 1 UA segment for this requirement).
- Not all fare classes on Star Alliance earn 1 PQS. Some carriers' discount fares earn 0 PQS (consult the partner earning table for your airline).
Old Aug 13, 2016 | 5:57 pm

@WindeCountryUA @Findark thank you very much.
I usually fly 90-130 intra german segments on Eurowings/Germanwings per year, usually booked within Basic Fare and booking class E or F.

I have one more question: do I earn PQS when flying 4U/EW in Basic Fare? Any experiences regarding that?
Old Aug 13, 2016 | 6:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 330
@WindeCountryUA @Findark thank you very much.
I usually fly 90-130 intra german segments on Eurowings/Germanwings per year, usually booked within Basic Fare and booking class E or F.

I have one more question: do I earn PQS when flying 4U/EW in Basic Fare? Any experiences regarding that?
E and F on 4U/EW do earn 1 PQS - see the previous referenced web pages. Somewhat unusual as neither are *A. Because they are not *A, you will not get all your UA elite benefits on 4U / EW but some.
Old Aug 13, 2016 | 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
E and F on 4U/EW do earn 1 PQS - see the previous referenced web pages. Somewhat unusual as neither are *A. Because they are not *A, you will not get all your UA elite benefits on 4U / EW but some.
EW/4U fly quite a few codeshares for UA. The main reason is that 4U (which is now transformed to EW for cost structuring purposes) took over all LH services which don't fly to/from FRA or MUC.

UA*G gives lounge access, which is all I need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.