Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:26 pm

Question about seat assignment for boeing 787-9 (789)

I'm flying from Melb to LAX on the UA boeing 787-9 and I currently have seat 16a (on waitlist for bus class). Seat Guru says it has extra legroom but the bassinet may be bothersome. What is the bassinet?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rcgiggles
I'm flying from Melb to LAX on the UA boeing 787-9 and I currently have seat 16a (on waitlist for bus class). Seat Guru says it has extra legroom but the bassinet may be bothersome. What is the bassinet?
A crib that hangs off the bulkhead in front of you. Booking those seats on long-haul is bassinet roulette - you may win you may lose
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
I'm flying LAX-MEL.
Which seat is best from a noise and light point-of-view (i.e. least noise and light), 1E or 6D?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2.75MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
I'm flying LAX-MEL.
Which seat is best from a noise and light point-of-view (i.e. least noise and light), 1E or 6D?
I think basically equivalent from that standpoint. My main concern with 1E is that you don't have overhead bins there due to crew bunks above you.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I'm flying LAX-MEL.
I have had 1E and 1F on the LAX-MEL flight and the sunrise was on the other side of the plane, which worked really well and gave us a little better sleep towards the end of the flight.

The noise at the front of the cabin was minimal, especially after meal services were done. You could slightly feel the flushing of the toilet on the other side of the bathroom, but I think you could feel it more than you could hear it. It was not a bother though for either of us.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rcgiggles
Seat Guru mentioned bassinet in 787-9 but not 787-8.

Is 16A in 787-8 immuned from the bassinet roulette?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:58 pm

From the service stand point...

The bigger BF cabin gets slower service than the smaller 2nd BF cabin ?
5 rows vs 3. The seat map shows 2 galleys.
I'll be on the 789 to Melbourne on 4/20.
Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Thank you for your input, kirkwoodj and JC5280.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.75MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Thank you for your input, kirkwoodj and JC5280.
No worries, safe travels! ^
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Row 16 on Wednesday MEL-LAX had a crier for a good 75% of the flight.

I was in 6 and liked the footwell...I would have gone to the forward cabin (now in hindsight) even without bulkhead to put more distance between us.

Overall with earplugs and stuff there wasn't really any galley noise or disturbance. There was a point a few hours in where the sun was hitting the wing and reflecting into the bulk head area even with the window darkened all the way. Made for a soft green glow which was kinda cool but put on a mask and you're not going to know one way or the other.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Just returned from a round trip on the LAX-MEL 789. I rode in 1D on the way down, and 6A on the return. My observations:

The front row is much quieter than 6A, which is adjacent to the engine.

Service seemed about the same in both the front and rear J cabins. There's a good 6 - 8 hours when the crew disappears mid-flight and good luck trying to get anything that isn't left out for self-service in the galley between the front and rear J cabins.

Toilet access is easier from 6A than 1D.

Lack of overhead luggage bin space over row 1 D/E was not a problem on my flight, although the bins over 1 A/B and 1K/L do fill up to capacity.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:03 am

Flying GIG-MCO r.t. (part of larger trip) in October. Plane recently changed, and our seats were moved to the last row of biz-first. Didn't want that, so I'll change online. We prefer to be in the middle section (2-2-2) so no one has to crawl over the other to get to the rest room. One option is the penultimate row in biz, but one that looks better to me is the very first row, assuming there's no walkway in front of it (for people to use to cross). From photos I've seen, it looks like the two seats are against the bulkhead. Not ideal (close to rest rooms and galley), but not bad. Thoughts?

p.s. it's 1 D&E I was looking at. Hopefully not a lot of light. 5 D&E also look good, depending on what's in back of them (appears to be back of a galley). We've been in a Dreamliner just once, and liked it, but that was just IAH-DEN (fc).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 27, 2015 at 5:54 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 27, 2015, 12:21 pm

Didn't find much addressing my concerns, except the fact that the first row middle section seems to have limited overhead space. For now will go with row 5 middle section. Looking forward to the flight, actually.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by SoCal
Flying GIG-MCO r.t. (part of larger trip) in October. Plane recently changed, and our seats were moved to the last row of biz-first. Didn't want that, so I'll change online. We prefer to be in the middle section (2-2-2) so no one has to crawl over the other to get to the rest room. One option is the penultimate row in biz, but one that looks better to me is the very first row, assuming there's no walkway in front of it (for people to use to cross). From photos I've seen, it looks like the two seats are against the bulkhead. Not ideal (close to rest rooms and galley), but not bad. Thoughts?

p.s. it's 1 D&E I was looking at. Hopefully not a lot of light. 5 D&E also look good, depending on what's in back of them (appears to be back of a galley). We've been in a Dreamliner just once, and liked it, but that was just IAH-DEN (fc).
Originally Posted by SoCal
Didn't find much addressing my concerns, except the fact that the first row middle section seems to have limited overhead space. For now will go with row 5 middle section. Looking forward to the flight, actually.
No overhead bins, so I avoid rows 1 & 2, since I also like to be in center section.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Titanium
Since my original post doesn't any response, I will ask following in here again:"I've just booked LAX-IAH on a 789. If I want to secure first choice of meal which seat is better? 1L or 6A(Since 1A is not available, so I don't know what's the best choice beside that)? "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.