Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase (PCU) to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

PCU / Premium Cabin upgrade
Older term UFC / Upgrade First Class

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase (PCU) to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2024, 10:27 am

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
The Polaris price is awful. At that price, with PZ3, anyone who wanted to fly Polaris should use miles + copay.
Depends how much you value 30,000 miles right? And the $600 copay on top of that.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Depends how much you value 30,000 miles right? And the $600 copay on top of that.
If you value 30K miles as worth $1500, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Besides, assuming you haven't already maxed out your purchases for the year -- and why would you? -- you could buy the 30K miles from UA for about $1000. So, I stand by my statement.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 10:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
,,, -- you could buy the 30K miles from UA for about $1000. ...
Award Accelerator and most mileage sales are at 2 cpm.
so 30K miles plus $600 is about $1,200 equivalent. Half of the $2.399 cash offer.
$1,200 is $77/hour for business, an OK price for Polaris

Also I tend to look at offers by the round trip equivalent -- so the $2,399 offer (if available) is an $4,800 RT offer -- on top of $1,500 economy fare --- not much of a discount from purchasing business originally.
Old Jul 14, 2024, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Showing $499 for XN -> PremPlus on LHR-IAH. I would have considered it at the standard $299 I usually see for TATL but not $499. I'll suck it up in coach since that's what I booked.

-RM
Old Jul 15, 2024, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Is this the reason UA does not show cash upsell price to us when we are waitlisted for upgrade?
In-App "Upgrade for Cash" offer makes a mockery of loyalty + miles
SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.
Old Jul 21, 2024, 1:16 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
We originally had a trip booked in November from IAD-LAX-HKG and then changed to IAD-MUC, using points. Got the following offers for the former and current trip.

IAD-LAX-HKG
IAD-LAX PP to J $1009
LAX-HKG Y to PP $3850
LAX-HKG Y to J $4350

IAD-MUC
IAD-MUC Y to PP $379
IAD-MUC Y to J $4678

I think it is just too early to get a decent offer. The Y to PP for IAD-MUC is pretty solid but we have good seats in Y so I am inclined to just wait to get a reasonable offer for Y to J. I think $750 is my limit on that one.
Old Jul 21, 2024, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA, CSP
Originally Posted by mcgahat
We originally had a trip booked in November from IAD-LAX-HKG and then changed to IAD-MUC, using points. Got the following offers for the former and current trip.

IAD-LAX-HKG
IAD-LAX PP to J $1009
LAX-HKG Y to PP $3850
LAX-HKG Y to J $4350

IAD-MUC
IAD-MUC Y to PP $379
IAD-MUC Y to J $4678

I think it is just too early to get a decent offer. The Y to PP for IAD-MUC is pretty solid but we have good seats in Y so I am inclined to just wait to get a reasonable offer for Y to J. I think $750 is my limit on that one.

I flew MUC-IAD in March on UA. Exact same $379 PP upgrade price. The J upgrade was $4321 (an easy amount to remember). I watched the price starting in early January and it never changed. If you aren't 1K or GS, to leverage the Y-class auto upgrade it might be worth it to go with PP, especially if you can score bulkhead. The PP seats have more recline and I've read that anything other than bulkhead makes it hard to get out of your seat when the person in front is reclined. If you can't get PP Bulkhead but you do have bulkhead (or exit row) in Y then IMO its not worth the extra money especially if its a daytime flight.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2024, 2:09 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by spellingninja
I flew MUC-IAD in March on UA. Exact same $379 PP upgrade price. The J upgrade was $4321 (an easy amount to remember). I watched the price starting in early January and it never changed. If you aren't 1K or GS, to leverage the Y-class auto upgrade it might be worth it to go with PP, especially if you can score bulkhead. The PP seats have more recline and I've read that anything other than bulkhead makes it hard to get out of your seat when the person in front is reclined. If you can't get PP Bulkhead but you do have bulkhead (or exit row) in Y then IMO its not worth the extra money especially if its a daytime flight.
Thanks, that is good info. I will not hold out much hope for a decent J price then. We are in row 30 bulkhead on the IAD-MUC flight that leaves about 5.30pm so that seems like a pretty decent option. If I do pull the trigger on the PP upgrade, it would be last minute.
Old Jul 21, 2024, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spellingninja
There is no auto upgrade from economy for international flights.
Old Jul 22, 2024, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
No buy up offers on award tickets from other airlines

I posted this question a few pages ago and now have the answer. If you are traveling on UA metal on an award ticket that is not on 016 stock, you will not be offered a buy a premium cabin. It will indeed allow you to buy Economy Plus seating but not PP or Polaris.
So Pang and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Jul 26, 2024, 9:57 am

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM
I am scheduled to fly from LAS to BKK in January and today I received a notice from United today saying that both flights have pretty major schedule changes. I also bought a $300 upgrade from E- to PP for my NRT to LAX flight. If I go to change flights, will that upgrade "stick" on the Japan to US flight or is it only the flight I have booked now?
Old Jul 26, 2024, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vegasbased
I am scheduled to fly from LAS to BKK in January and today I received a notice from United today saying that both flights have pretty major schedule changes. I also bought a $300 upgrade from E- to PP for my NRT to LAX flight. If I go to change flights, will that upgrade "stick" on the Japan to US flight or is it only the flight I have booked now?
You should be able to stay in Premium Plus on a UA-operated flight. However, you may need to call. Do not make the change online if it appears to be putting you into an economy seat.
SPN Lifer and vegasbased like this.
Old Jul 26, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM
You should be able to stay in Premium Plus on a UA-operated flight. However, you may need to call. Do not make the change online if it appears to be putting you into an economy seat.
Got it, thank you jsloan!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2024, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
I forget - if I pay cash to upgrade a ticket at the upgrae page (where you have choices of money, miles or plus points), can I get the upgrade money refunded if I cancel the trip?
Old Jul 26, 2024, 11:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I forget - if I pay cash to upgrade a ticket at the upgrae page (where you have choices of money, miles or plus points), can I get the upgrade money refunded if I cancel the trip?
T&Cs says no unless changes caused by UA. However, some have been successful in re-applying to an alternative flight or making other use. So cancel using an agent and see what can happen.
SPN Lifer and PanAmWT like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.