Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase (PCU) to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

PCU / Premium Cabin upgrade
Older term UFC / Upgrade First Class

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase (PCU) to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2024, 5:59 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
In this thread, I found multiple people talked about if one applied MUA on PNR, then no cash/buyup offer available.

In my case, after requesting MUA waitlist for NA-Asia, I can see the buy-up offer everyday since purchase, while those offers are crazy. However, when I check-in, the offer becomes reasonable. My question is that if I accept the E-->PE cash instant upgrade offer, how about the MUA waitlist from E-->J?
Old Aug 17, 2024, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Europe->US X to R/RN pricing at $379 now ahead of time. However, during check-in the price reverted to the standard $299. Saw this on LHR-EWR and LHR-IAH.

-RM
marks88 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Aug 17, 2024, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Right after purchase yesterday, and still the same today, for 8/26:

The short 6am SBA - LAX 22 min flight, $179

LAX - EWR $2379

Last edited by tstauck; Aug 17, 2024 at 4:40 pm Reason: Added timing
Old Aug 18, 2024, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold Choice Gold Wyndham Platinum IHG Platinum Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Flying HNL-LAX on 9/7 on the 1:20 PM departure on a 777HD. Booked back on 7/17 on a S fare. The upsell offer since booking has been sitting at $1,039 regarding of number of seats available and has briefly spiked to $1,164 a few times. I checked this morning to find the price fell down to $529 with 3A open, i.e. view of the sunset over the Pacific flying back from Hawai'i. I took it despite being $130 more than my inbound LAX-HNL flight. I gather purchasing $928 for LAX-HNL roundtrip on a 777HD, seated in rear-facing 3L/3A is pretty respectable, considering the aircraft, available seat choices, and length of flight. Upsell offers for the IAD-LAX and LAX-IAD segments for my trip, both on 737 MAX 9s, are $599. Find that rather ironic that those are more expensive than the LAX-HNL-LAX segments.
SPN Lifer, vg247 and tstauck like this.
Old Aug 18, 2024, 4:59 pm

Curious what's the lowest folks have ever seen for EWR-LAX premium transcon upgrades? I'm got $229 for Premium Plus and $649 Business.
Old Aug 19, 2024, 1:11 am

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lostdog3
Curious what's the lowest folks have ever seen for EWR-LAX premium transcon upgrades? I'm got $229 for Premium Plus and $649 Business.
Given that you are also quoting Premium Plus, sounds like the business is a proper Polaris and not a 752/777HD.

On paper, $649 sounds high for a ~5 hour flight. But with United down-gauging and using 752/777HD on the EWR-SFO/LAX routes which has jacked up the fares to several thousand dollars, $649 is probably a good deal.

Or you can look at flying AA/B6 and get better service.
Old Aug 19, 2024, 3:03 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I haven't seen any data points lately on EWR - SEA. Curious if anyone has seen TOD offers at check-in for in either direction? Current buy up offers are $649 going out and $399 coming back.
Old Aug 19, 2024, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lostdog3
I am seeing $619 P fares LAX-EWR during slower times, so $649 for an upgrade seems high to me.
Old Aug 19, 2024, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I'm getting $1,646 for an Polaris upgrade from Premium Plus JNB-EWR in October. It's definitely dropped since purchase but not sure of the value, although it's a 15.5 hour flight.
Old Aug 20, 2024, 9:09 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Fascinating prices differentials--all over the map!

Flying DEN-LIR-DEN in January (5+ hr flight on a 737-900). Purchased the flight (fare class T) in March.
Been keeping track of the upgrade prices since them:
Outbound:
$629 initially
$319 3/18 -- PURCHASED
Return:
$629 initially through 5/23
$1109 5/23 through 7/18
$1509 7/18 through 7/20
$1109 7/20 through today (with 14 of 16 seats still available!)
I repeat: FASCINATING!
Old Aug 20, 2024, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Gold
Datapoint re: PCU's being non-refundable... Twice in the past couple months, I've cancelled domestic economy itins that had a PCU purchased. Received an email a few minutes after the cancel with a receipt saying my PCU had been refunded, and the refund did indeed hit my credit card a couple days later. Not sure it matters, but I'm UA Gold using the PPMC for payment.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2024, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
What are our thoughts on $650 for Y -> PP on EWR-JNB in Feb? Worth it? Likely to come down or just snag now? Or is there no rhyme or reason to pricing? sorry for the noob questions here.
Old Aug 23, 2024, 9:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pharmflyer
What are our thoughts on $650 for Y -> PP on EWR-JNB in Feb? Worth it? Likely to come down or just snag now? Or is there no rhyme or reason to pricing? sorry for the noob questions here.
$50 / hour is considered a decent PremPlus upgrade fee . Could it drop, perhaps but not too much. Could it increase, yeap.
Old Aug 23, 2024, 7:59 pm

Programs: SkyTeam Elite Plus lifetime
Upsell (cash) offers with partner connecting segment?

I am seeing a situation where if I add a connecting Air Dolomiti (EN) segment to a UA transatlantic flight, I do not get any cash upsell offers at the time of booking. Obviously I would prefer not to book an unprotected connection, but I also want the cash upsell offer because it's showing up at a price far more attractive than booking the upgraded cabin outright.

1. Is this always the case?

2. Do the cash upsell offers eventually show up if you wait long enough? I did not want to take the risk of going 24 hours past booking and being unable to get a full refund for the booking, so I did not wait.

3. I presume this is not true of all partner airline connections, since that would cause UA to lose out on a lot of potential revenue. But EN is a Lufthansa company (they use the same Amadeus system, and EN even uses the LH app for their operations), so I would have thought they would be one of the better integrated partner airlines. Is there some resource on which airlines I can connect on that would still give me access to UA upsell offers?

Last edited by Holometer3D; Aug 23, 2024 at 10:34 pm
Old Aug 24, 2024, 12:34 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by cfischer
I am seeing $619 P fares LAX-EWR during slower times, so $649 for an upgrade seems high to me.
I'm being offered a $459 upgrade from Y to P on EWR-LAX (upfare would have been a $695 differential). This flight was originally scheduled with the 777HD but has been switched to a 787-10, so looks like it would be proper Polaris. Of course, there is always a chance that it could revert back to the 777HD. Worth it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.