Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase (PCU) to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

PCU / Premium Cabin upgrade
Older term UFC / Upgrade First Class

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase (PCU) to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2024, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I flew back from DXB to EWR this morning (Thursday). I used 20 PP to upgrade a G fare ($721 r/t from LAX) to Premium Plus. I was offered a buy-up to Polaris on Wednesday morning for $691, which I thought excellent value for such a long flight. Although I didn’t take it, I was surprised at the relatively low price.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Personally, I like to gauge at the total price including the underlying fare.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 4:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gusd
For upgrades from Economy or Premium Plus?
Generally there is little difference (which I do find odd)

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Personally, I like to gauge at the total price including the underlying fare.
In most cases, the original purchase, for me, is sunken cost, unless you are doing the upgrade as part of the purchase decision. I find the upgrade cost at a later date can be significantly less. But I travel for being at a place and time for a reason.. Date flexibility is limited because traveling to events. Routing, carrier, .. potential flexibility. But also it is PremEcon or better, nothing less.
gusd likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 25, 2024 at 4:54 pm Reason: Date flexibility
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:04 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
circling back from my adventures in spain, EWR-BCN a family of five bought up J7 when I was 3rd on the list. Agent over the phone couldn't get the previous price to go through, but I was able to on my end. J2, $1450. Steeper than I'd like. Family was on a connecting reservation, probably got a cheap offer at check-in earlier than me, so I wasn't offered as low as I wanted. Perhaps they took it at the same price I had, you never know. Return MAD-EWR. J space fluctuated wildly on this, from J8 to J0 a few times in the last 2 weeks. 2-3 days prior i got an offer in the app at $906. Had seen that price before, it had jumped to 5k the previous day. Anyways, in the end I took that too. UA generating a lot of surplus revenue off of this customer when PP upgrades dried up last minute. FWIW, fare class on the outbound was much, much cheaper than the return (fare M). PQP after all said and done was nearly equal, around 1700-1800 per leg.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:48 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I looked at the seat map and there are not a lot of PP seats, it's a very tiny area between Polaris and Economy, lots of seats in both cabins, but not PP.. I am doing SNA-FRA and IST-SNA for $2,600 all-in for PP. Economy was only $400 less.. $2,200.

I thought PP going both ways was worth the $400. How cheap can PP to Polaris be? I am thinking maybe... don't do anything and get a free op-up. Is that realistic?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by jcturnbull
circling back from my adventures in spain, EWR-BCN a family of five bought up J7 when I was 3rd on the list. Agent over the phone couldn't get the previous price to go through, but I was able to on my end. J2, $1450. Steeper than I'd like. Family was on a connecting reservation, probably got a cheap offer at check-in earlier than me, so I wasn't offered as low as I wanted. Perhaps they took it at the same price I had, you never know. Return MAD-EWR. J space fluctuated wildly on this, from J8 to J0 a few times in the last 2 weeks. 2-3 days prior i got an offer in the app at $906. Had seen that price before, it had jumped to 5k the previous day. Anyways, in the end I took that too. UA generating a lot of surplus revenue off of this customer when PP upgrades dried up last minute. FWIW, fare class on the outbound was much, much cheaper than the return (fare M). PQP after all said and done was nearly equal, around 1700-1800 per leg.
What did you think about the previous poster’s comment that $100 an hour is too high? How long was your flight? What $/hr? I could wait until check in I guess but I am tempted.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Wiggums
I looked at the seat map and there are not a lot of PP seats, it's a very tiny area between Polaris and Economy, lots of seats in both cabins, but not PP.. I am doing SNA-FRA and IST-SNA for $2,600 all-in for PP. Economy was only $400 less.. $2,200.

I thought PP going both ways was worth the $400. How cheap can PP to Polaris be? I am thinking maybe... don't do anything and get a free op-up. Is that realistic?
Did you check fare ex-LAX, instead of ex-SNA? I bet that it is cheaper due to stronger competition.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I flew back from DXB to EWR this morning (Thursday). I used 20 PP to upgrade a G fare ($721 r/t from LAX) to Premium Plus. I was offered a buy-up to Polaris on Wednesday morning for $691, which I thought excellent value for such a long flight. Although I didn’t take it, I was surprised at the relatively low price.
What? You did not take it. I am getting G --> PE offer for $399 (ICN-SFO) and still waiting for price to drop.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 7:28 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Economy was $800 less out of LAX instead of SNA, but PP was about $50 less out of SNA and I live south of SNA so that made better sense to me.

Also, out of LAX, PP was LAX-EWR-FRA (so no PP on LAX-EWR) while out of SNA, it was SNA-SFO-FRA so I am in PP much longer...

I was just wondering how often op-ups are for those sitting in PP though
SPN Lifer and Kmxu like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is, of course, no simple answer. This depends on the individual.

Polaris cash offers, for $50/hr it is a no brain, $75/hr thonk about, $100/hr only if sleep is really needed, >$100/hr - I pass
This is for routes from SFO and >10-12 hrs.
The above was my guide before back fusion surgery. Now, I’ll go as high as $120/hr. My back is worth it.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
There is, of course, no simple answer. This depends on the individual.

Polaris cash offers, for $50/hr it is a no brainer, $75/hr think about , $100/hr only if sleep is really needed, >$100/hr - I pass
This is for routes from SFO and >10-12 hrs.

You can scan this is thread to see other offers and decision points.
What about routes from East Coast to UK or Europe that are around 7-8 hours? Would you suggest applying the same math?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by friedablass
What about routes from East Coast to UK or Europe that are around 7-8 hours? Would you suggest applying the same math?
I don't like breaking a TATL trip into equal pieces. As most east coast TATL are just a bit longer than transcon, I prefer the long TATL from sfo and a short european hop to finish the deed. So, do not face the east coast TATL decision often. Bit for a nighttime East coast TATL might got bit higher to the hourly rate but not too much to get PL access. Just my stinginess as it is out of my pocket and I can sleep in PremPlus.

I always look at the option going a day earlier vs Polaris, I have that freedom.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gusd
Have you tried to upfare through change flight? Often it is less than the upgrade offer.
The ORD-HNL upfare is just slightly less than the buy up. Neither is a good value IMO, the buy up is $300/hr at JN9 which is 3x too much
Starman likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I don't like breaking a TATL trip into equal pieces. As most east coast TATL are just a bit longer than transcon, I prefer the long TATL from sfo and a short european hop to finish the deed. So, do not face the east coast TATL decision often. Bit for a nighttime East coast TATL might got bit higher to the hourly rate but not too much to get PL access. Just my stinginess as it is out of my pocket and I can sleep in PremPlus.

I always look at the option going a day earlier vs Polaris, I have that freedom.
Thanks.

I'm based on the East Coast so I was wondering what logic makes sense to apply for buy-ups on direct flights to the EU or even further out to ME or Asia. I guess it would be similar to what you suggested above or perhaps slightly more if past experience shows that those numbers never get offered.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wiggums
I was just wondering how often op-ups are for those sitting in PP though
Anecdotally, op-ups from Premium Plus appear to be nearly non-existent. At least, I don’t remember seeing a single op-up report from P+ to J.

The reason for this is simple — lots of Premium Plus passengers apply PlusPoints to upgrade, or they accept a buy-up offer.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.