Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2024 | 12:22 am
30 Countries Visited500k5 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by jsloan
Are you sure that the $147.70 isn't the new total, including what you already paid?
Yeah, it wants to charge me that at checkout. The total fees are the 147 plus what I already paid.
Old Sep 14, 2024 | 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Yeah, it wants to charge me that at checkout. The total fees are the 147 plus what I already paid.
What's the charge if you build a new itinerary from scratch? I suspect something's getting double-counted somewhere due to the fact that you're trying to make a change. If that's the case, you might get the lower price by calling.
Old Sep 14, 2024 | 2:31 am
30 Countries Visited500k5 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by jsloan
What's the charge if you build a new itinerary from scratch? I suspect something's getting double-counted somewhere due to the fact that you're trying to make a change. If that's the case, you might get the lower price by calling.
Same as if I'm adding it to my existing itinerary. Looking at the cost breakdown, the Germany Air Transportation Tax is $17.10 on the standalone booking, versus $78.20 on the excursionist. The German passenger service charge is a few dollars different too.

Last edited by GoSh4rks; Sep 14, 2024 at 2:41 am
Old Sep 14, 2024 | 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Same as if I'm adding it to my existing itinerary. Looking at the cost breakdown, the Germany Air Transportation Tax is $17.10 on the standalone booking, versus $78.20 on the excursionist. The German passenger service charge is a few dollars different too.
OK, so here's what I think is happening:

On your existing itinerary, you're not paying a German departure tax. As a separate ticket, you're paying a short-haul German departure tax. Combined into the single itinerary, you're now paying the long-haul German departure tax. Whether that's correct or not under the law, I can't say, but the $78.20 doesn't make sense any other way.
Old Sep 14, 2024 | 1:03 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Without more info, not sure what happen but doubtful the agent forced added an segment -- don't believe that can be done without a higher authority approving (like the fares desk)

Piecing awards together is long gone and that day in Oct 2016 is one of the blackest days in UA MP history.
I had an IAD-FRA-DUS award, and I wanted to get to OSL. On UA's website, it would not show IAD-XXX-OSL. However FRA-OSL awards were plentiful on their own. So I asked the agent to remove FRA-DUS and replace it with FRA-OSL for 4 people!! and she did so without any issues and we flew a lovely IAD-FRA-OSL award for 4 in J. No issues, she had to use the old tool to do it but it did not stop her. Now I know these days if you try to do anything using the old tool, it forced agents to the new tool which is really frustrating and annoying given how excessively restrictive (and flat out bad) the new tool is.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2024 | 2:01 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist, Moderator: United Airlines MlleagePlus
5 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As long as the segments you're "messing with" (IAD-FRA in this case, which should be revalidated against current inventory but the agent probably overrode that) are on UA metal, an agent can break a lot of rules for you. It's a question of whether they're empowered to do so, and whether they're willing.
Old Sep 14, 2024 | 2:44 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by findark
As long as the segments you're "messing with" (IAD-FRA in this case, which should be revalidated against current inventory but the agent probably overrode that) are on UA metal, an agent can break a lot of rules for you. It's a question of whether they're empowered to do so, and whether they're willing.
Firstly congrats on becoming mod!! Well deserved.

Secondly, in this particular case it was actually LH metal. Which is why I was confused as to is this purely a matter of finding an agent that's willing to step over the line to make these things happen vs not? This was a year ago so presumably they were still able to use the old tool to actually issue booking changes. My understanding is that today they can use the old tool to look at stuff, but actual bookings/changes need to be made from the new tool. The only exception being the new tool can't yet handle bookings for minors, which are the only things allowed to be done from the old tool until they completely phase it out. My entire takeaway from this is that what agents may or may not have been able to do all this time, they soon will not even have the opportunity to try since they will have their hands tied to only what this sorry new tool let's them do, which is pure A to B awards, and not point to point routing construction.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2024 | 4:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Secondly, in this particular case it was actually LH metal. ....
LH is one of the few partner carriers that may re-validate booked award space. Sometimes will work online also. Suspect that is what happen here and why the old tool was used. Suspect the agent's backup plan if re-validation failed, was to put you on UA metal to FRA as an award and add the new available segment. You got a saavy agent but one that was willing to take a risk.

Agent can not and have not for years build awards from partner segments. Here you had an existing award on LH that LH agreed to re-validate with a new available partner segment.
SPN Lifer and findark like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 14, 2024 at 4:07 pm
Old Sep 14, 2024 | 7:48 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Oh wow, I didn't actually realize they could revalidate an LH segment even if keeping it in-place. Partner award space has always been the third rail for me; once it's confirmed I don't dare ask for it to be played with.
Old Sep 16, 2024 | 12:26 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Hi everyone,

I’m based out of Los Angeles and need to get to Bangkok soon. I found a Saver Award next week on United from SFO to BKK via NRT in business class for 100k miles. I also see Saver Awards from LAX to SFO that arrive a few hours before the SFO-NRT flight.

However, when I try to add the LAX to SFO segment online, the total award jumps to 170k miles. When I called an agent, they could only ticket it for 250k miles, which is an insane increase over the 100k miles for just SFO to BKK.

I’m wondering if anyone can offer tips on how to include the LAX to SFO segment and still keep the total award at 100k miles? Is there a way to get United to include the domestic leg at the Saver Award level so the mileage doesn’t skyrocket?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2024 | 12:56 pm
30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: UA Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by joaozinho
Hi everyone,

Im based out of Los Angeles and need to get to Bangkok soon. I found a Saver Award next week on United from SFO to BKK via NRT in business class for 100k miles. I also see Saver Awards from LAX to SFO that arrive a few hours before the SFO-NRT flight.

However, when I try to add the LAX to SFO segment online, the total award jumps to 170k miles. When I called an agent, they could only ticket it for 250k miles, which is an insane increase over the 100k miles for just SFO to BKK.

Im wondering if anyone can offer tips on how to include the LAX to SFO segment and still keep the total award at 100k miles? Is there a way to get United to include the domestic leg at the Saver Award level so the mileage doesnt skyrocket?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I (and many others here) run into this issue with married segment availability all the time. I can only solve this by buying the inexpensive domestic flight separately. You aren't protected against IRROPS (so leave a comfortable connection time) and it's a bit of a pain to get them to check baggage through (though it can be done). But that's pretty much your best option. Agents aren't really going to be able to help you with this.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 16, 2024 | 1:14 pm
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by joaozinho
What's the price if you book it as multi-city? It won't be 100 even, but should be a lot less than 170.
Old Sep 16, 2024 | 3:11 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by periperi
I (and many others here) run into this issue with married segment availability all the time. I can only solve this by buying the inexpensive domestic flight separately. You aren't protected against IRROPS (so leave a comfortable connection time) and it's a bit of a pain to get them to check baggage through (though it can be done). But that's pretty much your best option. Agents aren't really going to be able to help you with this.
Thank you this is helpful. What if instead of paying cash I use award miles to buy the flight from lax to sfo... can I think marry the reservation after and protect myself from IRROPS?
Old Sep 16, 2024 | 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited500k20 Years on Site

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
No, two separate reservations cannot be merged into a single reservation.
Old Sep 21, 2024 | 3:36 am

Date change on excursionist roadblock.

The first segment was already flown earlier this year.
PTY - LAX on Copa in P class (I think P class on Copa cost more than regular I class on United)

LAX-EWR booked into JN class

GUA-SAL a throwaway booked in X class.

I want to push the last flight to be somewhere in January so I can change the date for LAX-EWR around Christmas time. I have called 3 different times now to do the changes and they want to change me more miles. The agents insists the this is the current price now. Shouldnt this be an easy even exchange?
PS. I tried to recreate a new reservation and some how booking P class on Copa no longer allow me to book the excursionist flight in JN class. Was my original reservation a glitch?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.