Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Problem with Boarding Pass in Apple Wallet iOS 11

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problem with Boarding Pass in Apple Wallet iOS 11

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018 | 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
I’m still having similar problems, and it is almost certainly related to a change in some data (gate, seat assignment), and not location services. When I go to hunt for the boarding pass in the wallet again, it gets mixed in with some random old trip from months ago.

I’m inclined to believe it’s just as likely an iOS bug as it having anything to do with UA. The quality of iOS has really declined recently, and stupid bugs in various areas of the OS have popped up randomly and seemingly without any intent to fix them.
The “disappearing boarding passes” bug seems to be triggered on UA’s end — gate changes, etc. — so it’s unlikely to be an iOS issue. Ditto for the “no boarding passes on the lock screen” issue, which appears to be unique to the UA app.
Old Feb 16, 2018 | 8:21 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K
Mine only works if I add it when I’m add the airport (or alternatively, delete it out of the wallet and re-add it after arriving at the airport. Frustrating, but this “fixes” the issue
Old Feb 16, 2018 | 8:54 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The “disappearing boarding passes” bug seems to be triggered on UA’s end — gate changes, etc. — so it’s unlikely to be an iOS issue. Ditto for the “no boarding passes on the lock screen” issue, which appears to be unique to the UA app.
The change is triggered on UA's end, but the Apple Wallet functionality should be an iOS issue.
Old Feb 16, 2018 | 9:59 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Do people on iOS 10 also suffer from this problem?
Has anyone tried turning the "automatic update" toggle on the pass details off, and would the pass be invalidated at the gate if there are any changes?
Old Feb 17, 2018 | 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Mine showed correctly last August/September, then broke for me in December, and haven't worked since. Really frustrating, as other airlines I've flown have worked fine (B6, VX, etc.). I've double checked all my location services preferences as well, and it doesn't seem to have changed anything. I think it's a problem on the United end, perhaps not geocoding the airport location into the boarding pass? I don't know much about how these things work though.
Ive has issues with B6 passes too. Same as with UA, while gate changes can make the pass disappear, I’ve consistently noticed in my last few trips that the BPs show on the lock screen at something like 5 hours prior to flight time, and then disappear as I arrive at their airport. Most of the time, no gate changes are made.

Originally Posted by eeflyer
Well, it didn’t show up. Once I got through security, I deleted the pass from Wallet and added it again. That caused the pass to show up on the lock screen again.

Such a weird issue.
yes, deleting and re-adding will work. Also, sometimes, you can click on the i button on the pass, toggle off the show on lock screen and turn on again, and if works. Other times, that toggle isn’t even there. Yes, weird.

I’m still having similar problems, and it is almost certainly related to a change in some data (gate, seat assignment), and not location services. When I go to hunt for the boarding pass in the wallet again, it gets mixed in with some random old trip from months ago.

I’m inclined to believe it’s just as likely an iOS bug as it having anything to do with UA. The quality of iOS has really declined recently, and stupid bugs in various areas of the OS have popped up randomly and seemingly without any intent to fix them.
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Definitely not. The only other carrier I’ve used in the last little while where I could use a mobile BP is B6, and had the exact same issue as UA of it disappearing when I arrived at the airport. On my iPhone 6 and now my iPhone 8. Given its happening across multiple carriers, I can’t imagibe it’s a UA issue. And given Apple’s clear software quality decline over the last several years (including, but certainly not limited to iOS) , I’m inclined to think it’s a problem with the wallet.

Originally Posted by david_oz
Mine only works if I add it when I’m add the airport (or alternatively, delete it out of the wallet and re-add it after arriving at the airport. Frustrating, but this “fixes” the issue
sounds like the same thing I’m describing - disappears at the airport so have to add it once you arrive. Honestly, I think the geolocation is removing the BP from view, rather than adding it, as is the case for most non-BP passs (which is based on being near a location). BOs seem to appear based on a time criteria as opposed to location, like a Starbucks card, for example.

Originally Posted by mr8
Do people on iOS 10 also suffer from this problem?
Has anyone tried turning the "automatic update" toggle on the pass details off, and would the pass be invalidated at the gate if there are any changes?
IIRC, was problematic oniOS10 also, but don’t know if it got worse during some date, or was the original 10 release where it started. BP shouldn’t be invalid with a gate changes. With, for example, a seat change, it would, but IIRC, it will show invalid and beep at the gate, and print out the new BP right there - at least this is what happened last time I was upgraded and scanned the pass that was for my original economy seat.
Old Feb 18, 2018 | 10:58 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Datum point: added my boarding pass yesterday. No gate or seat changes to change BP data. I’m now boarding the plane and the pass still shows on my lock screen, which (for me) confirms that it’s related to a change in data on the pass and not a geolocation issue.
Old Feb 18, 2018 | 2:57 pm
mr8

Originally Posted by emcampbe
IIRC, was problematic oniOS10 also, but don’t know if it got worse during some date, or was the original 10 release where it started. BP shouldn’t be invalid with a gate changes. With, for example, a seat change, it would, but IIRC, it will show invalid and beep at the gate, and print out the new BP right there - at least this is what happened last time I was upgraded and scanned the pass that was for my original economy seat.
I don't *think* I had any issues in the earlier part of 2017 on iOS 10. I personally started experiencing the issue after updating to iOS 11 on a iPhone 7 and iPhone X, however can't downgrade to iOS 10 to test cause apple is apple.
I will try turning off "automatic update" toggle and see if helps on an upcoming flight.
Old Feb 18, 2018 | 4:42 pm
Suspended

Datum point: added my boarding pass yesterday. No gate or seat changes to change BP data. I’m now boarding the plane and the pass still shows on my lock screen, which (for me) confirms that it’s related to a change in data on the pass and not a geolocation issue.
I can’t get the boarding passes to show on my lock screen regardless of data changes, so there appear to be at least two separate bugs.

Everyone having problems is also reporting this to United and Apple, right?

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
Old Feb 20, 2018 | 10:21 pm
mr8

Just got an iOS push notification about a gate change in the wallet app which was great, but then the pass disappeared after I closed it...

EDIT: Found the pass with the correct gate. Looks like it just separated itself from the other flight and decided to move towards the bottom of my wallet. QR code is still showing, so I guess they are making some progress.
Old Feb 20, 2018 | 10:50 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mr8
Just got an iOS push notification about a gate change in the wallet app which was great, but then the pass disappeared after I closed it...

EDIT: Found the pass with the correct gate. Looks like it just separated itself from the other flight and decided to move towards the bottom of my wallet. QR code is still showing, so I guess they are making some progress.
I've had this happen sometimes where the dates seem to get disassociated with the boarding pass. I fly SNA-SFO fairly frequently, and sometimes that day's pass gets commingled into a previous itinerary's SNA-SFO-### boarding pass.

Or the other interesting bug I've seen is boarding passes not being shown in chronological order (possibly a consequence of crossing the international date line?) For instance: SNA-SFO-HKG (RT) after completing the trip, the linked passes when swiping right end up looking something like this:

Example Order: SFO-SNA, SFO-HKG, HKG-SFO, SNA-SFO
Expected Order: SNA-SFO, SFO-HKG, HKG-SFO, SFO-SNA
Old Feb 21, 2018 | 5:27 am
mr8

I've had this happen sometimes where the dates seem to get disassociated with the boarding pass. I fly SNA-SFO fairly frequently, and sometimes that day's pass gets commingled into a previous itinerary's SNA-SFO-### boarding pass.

Or the other interesting bug I've seen is boarding passes not being shown in chronological order (possibly a consequence of crossing the international date line?) For instance: SNA-SFO-HKG (RT) after completing the trip, the linked passes when swiping right end up looking something like this:

Another weird thing is that the pass wasn’t location aware after the gate change. Had to delete and add it back to get it to show on the lock screen.
Old Feb 21, 2018 | 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mr8
Another weird thing is that the pass wasn’t location aware after the gate change. Had to delete and add it back to get it to show on the lock screen.
Again, shouldn't necessarily be location-related, at least not only. Again, my BPs always show on my lock screen at I believe 5 hours prior to departure. I'm almost always at home, office, etc. if I'm in my home city, or at a hotel, etc. if I'm away from home. And usually nowhere near the airport (20+ miles).

Also had lots of weird order bugs, but don't think crossing the dateline has to do with it, though perhaps a time zone changes, as I've definitely had this happen on domestic/Canada trips - often these are CVG (ET)-ORD(CT)-somewhere else in ET.

It also seems to randomly bring up different pax's BPs first. For example, I typically travel in a party of 3 (wife, toddler and I), and sometimes, when I use the lock screen to open passes, mine will be first, other times, even a few minutes later, my wife's will come up first, other times, it's my toddler's. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, definitely not in any alphebetical by name order, noticed its not sequence # and not even who's BP was showing last. Just seems to be completely random.
Old Feb 21, 2018 | 11:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Again, shouldn't necessarily be location-related, at least not only. Again, my BPs always show on my lock screen at I believe 5 hours prior to departure. I'm almost always at home, office, etc. if I'm in my home city, or at a hotel, etc. if I'm away from home. And usually nowhere near the airport (20+ miles).
The UA app’s privacy setting only allows one to choose between “never” allowing location services or “while using the app,” so it seems like yours are appearing for reasons unrelated to the functionality being discussed. Which iPhone do you have and are you using the latest iOS and UA app?
Old Feb 21, 2018 | 11:54 am
30 Countries Visited500k5 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Air Canada passes update their gate numbers just fine.
Old Feb 21, 2018 | 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K

I noted that as well. If you delete the string of boarding passes its attached to, it will stay at the top of the pile when it looses its ability to stay on the lock screen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.