Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Problem with Boarding Pass in Apple Wallet iOS 11

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problem with Boarding Pass in Apple Wallet iOS 11

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018 | 2:14 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The UA apps privacy setting only allows one to choose between never allowing location services or while using the app, so it seems like yours are appearing for reasons unrelated to the functionality being discussed. Which iPhone do you have and are you using the latest iOS and UA app?
My understanding (others correct me if Im wrong) is that location preferences in the UA app dont have anything to do with the Apple wallet, which is the issue being discussed here. Apple wallet has a separate set of preferences for location services. Once you add a boarding pass to the wallet, it is no longer the app that is doing stuff, but rather the wallet.

I leave location off for the wallet (so it never shows my Starbucks card when Im near a Starbucks, for example). Like others, Ive always noticed the boarding pass being time-based (i.e. a certain number of hours before the flight, it will show up on my lock screen). It has never been location-based for me.
Old Feb 21, 2018 | 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
The Apple Wallet’s location services preferences only have the same two options as the UA app: Never or While Using.

Very strange that people are apparently using the same iOS and same UA app version but only some are getting even the option to display b.p.’s on the lock screen, with or without location services.
Old Feb 23, 2018 | 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just an update on yesterdays trip.

Didnt add my BP to passbook until I was at the airport - didnt have a chance, so cant confirm either way if that was working. However, I had a connection at ORD. Leaving in the original flight, no changes so BP was there. A few minutes after arriving at ORD, got a gate change for the connecting flight, clicked on the notification, and it went to the BP circling the new gate - which is what used to happen with Passbook when it began. However, lock screen only had segment that was already complete. Opening wallet, it appears that the BPs for segment 1 and 2 were split into two groupings. Furthermore, the Onward BPs didnt have the show on lock screen toggle, so apparently wasnt going to be there. I waited a while, flight that was already complete BPs dropped from lock screen, but still available in wallet and new BPs wouldnt show on lock. Was hoping deleting the first flight BPs would help, but it didnt, so had to delete the onward flight BPs from passbook and re-added. This time, it re-added BPs from both completed and upcoming flighrt, but upcoming flight BP showed in lock screen.

For more practice, flight departs gate and they call MX while onboard, they find a new plane and gate change. That gate change doesnt show up on passbook BP, but reflects in BP on UA app. But pass drops from lock screen again. Boarded the flight with the BPs with the wrong gate info. On it fine, but had to access manually.
Old Feb 23, 2018 | 12:41 pm
Suspended

At this point, it’s not even worth the hassle. Easier just to unlock one’s iPhone and use the UA app.
Old Feb 25, 2018 | 9:43 am

Still a problem iOS 11.2.6

Still a problem.

Situation: Pass is in Apple wallet, and gate change notification occurs:
-“Suggest on lock screen” option for pass disappears
- If part of an itinerary with multiple segments, pass wil mis-sort

Workaround:
- When gate change notification arrives, find the pass in Wallet and delete it
- Go to United app and add the pass back to wallet

if this impacts you, please notify united support.

Last edited by Chris1000; Feb 25, 2018 at 9:55 am
Old Feb 25, 2018 | 5:43 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
At this point, its not even worth the hassle. Easier just to unlock ones iPhone and use the UA app.
I've taken to leaving the original pass in the wallet and double-tapping the home button to bring up Apple Pay, then I swipe down to the boarding pass and leave it open. Seems to work well enough as the QR code doesn't actually change, though the gate information and such displayed is often wrong.
Old Feb 28, 2018 | 1:24 pm
Suspended

Mine worked just fine today, although a gate change caused boarding pass #2 to decouple from b.p. #1 in Wallet, which isn’t a big deal (and is a big improvement from the old disappearing b.p.). The UA app has been updated several times in recent weeks but I haven’t updated iOS since sometime in January.
Old Mar 1, 2018 | 8:03 am
Suspended

After working fine yesterday, today’s two boarding passes didn’t appear on my lock screen, and “suggest on lock screen” oddly wasn’t even an option. I deleted and re-added them, but they’re still not appearing.
Old Mar 1, 2018 | 8:06 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
After working fine yesterday, todays two boarding passes didnt appear on my lock screen, and suggest on lock screen oddly wasnt even an option. I deleted and re-added them, but theyre still not appearing.
its almost as if theyre trying to make sure it doesnt work for anyone! Lol
Old Mar 3, 2018 | 3:55 am

Could this be fixed?

I had a gate change this morning, and my pass stayed on the lock screen! I think it may be fixed.

Last weekend I was able to direct message with United on Twitter about this. I sent annotated screen shots which they said would go to the mobile app team. Don’t know if that helped, because I’ve done it before with no results. But now seems working.

Im actually hoping for a gate change on my connection now, just to confirm it is working.

Last edited by Chris1000; Mar 3, 2018 at 6:40 am
Old Mar 3, 2018 | 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chris1000
Could this be fixed?

I had a gate change this morning, and my pass stayed on the lock screen! I think it may be fixed.

Last weekend I was able to direct message with United on Twitter about this. I sent annotated screen shots which they said would go to the mobile app team. Dont know if that helped, because Ive done it before with no results. But now seems working.

Im actually hoping for a gate change on my connection now, just to confirm it is working.
Last week, when I had a gate change on my connecting segment only (2/2). Notified when I was getting off flight 1, and swiped the notification and it circled the gate number where the change was (just like on day 1 of wallet passbook. However, first, the BPs (for 3 of us) on the connecting segment were now grouped separately from those from the first flight within wallet, And secondly, only the first segment BPs showed on lock screen, not the upcoming flight. Used to having to toggle 'show on lock screen' on and off - but that setting was gone. Tried restarting the phone, then deleting first flight BPs, but nothing changed. Ended up having to delete then re-add the upcoming flight BPs.

Note that the passes never updated after boarding, deplaning and getting a new aircraft/gate change (though to be fair, even the screen on the new gate had our correct flight info, but said "flight closed" even before re-boarding began).
Old Mar 3, 2018 | 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chris1000
Could this be fixed?

Last weekend I was able to direct message with United on Twitter about this. I sent annotated screen shots which they said would go to the mobile app team. Don’t know if that helped, because I’ve done it before with no results. But now seems working.

The last UA app update was a week ago and it still wasn’t working consistently for me as of two days ago, as noted above. I haven’t yet updated to iOS 11.2.6, which is also about a week old. Have you?
Old Mar 3, 2018 | 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited5M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Just tried it and it works fine.

When will they have electronic bag tags?
Old Mar 3, 2018 | 12:14 pm

UA Specific

As of today, I still have the problem. UA passes disappear, move around, and also join older trips ... sometimes taking other UA passes with it. I just had one today 3/3/18 move down, grab two other random UA passes from 2017 and created a stack of 5 passes together.

The following airlines all work perfextly with wallet:
Aegean
SKS
Air India
easyJet
Lufthansa
Air Canada

All my memberships also work flawlessly and never move.

Only UA passes disappear and move.

I cannot find a common cause. Its random. I just dont use wallet anymore. I cant trust it.
Old Mar 10, 2018 | 7:56 am

The last UA app update was a week ago and it still wasn’t working consistently for me as of two days ago, as noted above. I haven’t yet updated to iOS 11.2.6, which is also about a week old. Have you?
I am on iOS 11.2.6.

I suspect that may not be relevant here. The issue may be with how United formats the Pass when it sends the updated pass to your phone. (The pass is basically a package, and most of its contents are described in an embedded JSON structure. There is a lot in here, including the ID that allows wallet to stack passes together that are part of the same trip.) If there is a problem with how they format the package, they *may* be able to solve the problem without requiring an an update (either to iOS or to the United app).

Just a guess. Anyway, I have had 2 gate changes that did not cause the problem in the last week. That is the first time in almost a year that a gate change has not caused the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.