Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bag handling on ground airport transfer with common city code-NRT/HND,EWR/LGA/JFK,...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag handling on ground airport transfer with common city code-NRT/HND,EWR/LGA/JFK,...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest, United

I'm looking at booking an award flight using United miles from SFO to BKK, via Tokyo. Inbound flight on UA metal SFO-NRT, longish (8-9 hour) layover, then onward from HND-BKK on NH. My questions are around getting myself and my checked bags from NRT to HND for the connection. Will be in business.

I assume I can check my bags through all the way. I further assume that I won't have to claim them at NRT, drag them to HND myself, and re-check them there for the second leg - that is, once I check my bags in at SFO, I won't see/touch them again until I claim them in BKK. Correct?

How about getting myself between airports? Does my ticket include some kind of an airport shuttle from NRT to HND?

Thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I'm looking at booking an award flight using United miles from SFO to BKK, via Tokyo. Inbound flight on UA metal SFO-NRT, longish (8-9 hour) layover, then onward from HND-BKK on NH. My questions are around getting myself and my checked bags from NRT to HND for the connection. Will be in business.

I assume I can check my bags through all the way. I further assume that I won't have to claim them at NRT, drag them to HND myself, and re-check them there for the second leg - that is, once I check my bags in at SFO, I won't see/touch them again until I claim them in BKK. Correct?

How about getting myself between airports? Does my ticket include some kind of an airport shuttle from NRT to HND?

Thanks.
You have to collect your bag and bring it to HND. You will have to fund your own transport to HND. There's a bus that goes between the two as well as several train lines. The former is preferable.

ANA is launching SFO-HND service next year so when that goes on sale you may want to keep an eye on award space and switch to that flight to avoid the airport transfer. That is, assuming your travel commences after that route launches.

Also, if you could tell me what sort of magic powers you used to find a business award on UA's SFO-NRT flight I would appreciate it.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
You have to collect your bag and bring it to HND. You will have to fund your own transport to HND. There's a bus that goes between the two as well as several train lines. The former is preferable.
Ugh. Geez, that sucks - can't believe they require that. I'm fine with funding/arranging my own transport between the two, it's lugging the bags that would be a major pain. I'm gonna have 2 or 3 huge, heavy bags (bringing scuba gear, and Christmas presents for a whole family) - and I will be traveling alone. Oy vey.

Well, thanks for giving me the unhappy news. At least I know now. Hmmm....

Also, if you could tell me what sort of magic powers you used to find a business award on UA's SFO-NRT flight I would appreciate it.
Just got lucky, I think - a single seat on one day. No special mojo used. I guess miracles happen.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 2019 at 8:37 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:09 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Past reports have been that you are on your own for the NRT-HND "transfer." Bags must be picked up in NRT and you carry them to HND yourself. No airline-provided transportation, either. You either bus, train or taxi at your own expense to HND.

Edit: As I was composing this post, nexusCFX posted the same info above.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1984SW
As I was composing this post, nexusCFX posted the same info above.
Thank you both. Obviously, not what I wanted to hear, but it is what it is. That said, given how well the Japanese seem to manage most things, I'm pretty surprised they just leave you on your own for this. I had always imagined the airlines and the two airports would handle everything. So much for my plans for a brief but fun evening in Tokyo between flights. Oh well.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
This question keeps getting asked many times a year and the answer should be in an FAQ. NRT and HND are unrelated and always will be. Its like asking if your bags would be checked through when landing at SFO and departing SJC. Somehow thats obviously not going to happen in the US but we Americans seem to expect it for two airports further from one another than those two, in Japan.

Collect your bags. Transit on your own. Its a different airport in an entirely different city. Word to the wise - avoid that kind of connection. Thats the real problem is that airlines offer such a connection which they would never do for the much closer airport combination listed above.

I guess we can blame UA for that like we blame them for everything else under the (rising) sun.....
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesn't even work with LGA/JFK/EWR connections. You need to collect and lug your bags between them.
st3 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
The bus between the 2 ain't too bad at all, its a coach ride direct from terminal to terminal. Free wi-fi, plenty of legroom, and a table if you bring some snacks for the ride.
uanj and artvandalay like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TerryK
Doesn't even work with LGA/JFK/EWR connections. You need to collect and lug your bags between them.
This is what immediately came to mind. Suppose you flew into EWR on UA and had a flight on LH out of JFK. Would you expect an airline to take you and your bags from EWR to JFK?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:32 am

The same thing happens for the UA/NH 'connection' at KIX/ITM in Osaka.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Seriously. I watched that route for months and UA never opened anything. NH very rarely (LAX and SEA much easier).
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: QF WP
Stupid question, can you use takyubin for this or is the turnaround too short?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Originally Posted by nancypants
Stupid question, can you use takyubin for this or is the turnaround too short?
Takkyubin usually takes a day or two depending on destination so wont work for the NRT-HND transfer
You could mail your heavy luggage to your final destination and go to Haneda bag free though... just remember it wont be there on day 1 so pack a backpack with a day or two of necessities.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Frankly the transfer is not that bad. You bring your trolley to the bus and they load your bags. Then you take a trolley upon arrival of the bus in HND.
Traffic can be bad at rush hour, but it seems that you have plenty of time
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by brunos
Frankly the transfer is not that bad. You bring your trolley to the bus and they load your bags. Then you take a trolley upon arrival of the bus in HND.
Traffic can be bad at rush hour, but it seems that you have plenty of time
The alternative of course is to take the Keikyu train. Conveniently connected to both airport. One train hop and in 2 hours you are there.

A bit longer but no traffic, for sure OP will arrive on time.

This being said, with 8-9 hours to spare, no worries with the bus either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.