Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PQP posting for cash upgrades, E+ fees, ..... when? No RDMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The following purchases earn PQP:
  • Base fare + surcharge
  • Economy Plus seating or subscriptions
  • Preferred seat purchases
  • *NEW* MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays
  • *NEW* Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express
  • *NEW* Flights ticketed and operated by our Star AllianceTM partners
PQPs for seat fees, upgrade fees / sticker-upgrades, co-pays, ... are posting separate from the flight PQPs and this seems to occur 1-2-3 days after the flight.
These separately posting extra PQPs are not RDM earning (as these fees did not in the past).
Cabin upgrades post as "Day of departure upgrade"

An alternative to Upgrade Fees that would earn RMDs is "Upfaring" -- this is a formal ticket change and not really possible to do online (due to change fee issues and UA system issues). You will need to call and specifically ask for an upfare. Change fees should be waived per "GG BUYUP" and then validate the receipt states "ADD/COLLECT" and not "Premium Cabin Upgrade / PCU" or "Merchandising / EDD". The new Fare class is not a significant indicator of what was done.
In the case of upfaring, the base fare will be adjusted and the new adjusted base fare will post as the PQP for the flight and fully earn RDMs.
Note: Upfaring agency issued tickets may be possible to do.

Related thread for prior to 2020 upgrade fees; Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T![/quote]

Print Wikipost

PQP posting for cash upgrades, E+ fees, ..... when? No RDMs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2024 | 5:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Delta Diamond defected to United 1K, Hertz Platinum
PQP for mileage ticket + cash upgrade

I have a booking made with 15000 miles, then I paid $129 to upgrade to FC. It was my understanding that the original booking would earn 150 PQP, and cash upgrades also earn PQP.

But in the app, when I look to view mileage earnings ahead of time, it only shows 151 PQP will be earned. Is this accurate?
Old Jun 23, 2024 | 5:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VisaW
.... But in the app, when I look to view mileage earnings ahead of time, it only shows 151 PQP will be earned. Is this accurate?
Correct, the itinerary will only show the fare PQPs. Upgrades are not shown, until a bit after the flight in your earnings. The combined PQPs are not shown.

Also see PQP/PQF Posting for Award Travel / Mileage Upgrades on UA Flights
SPN Lifer, VisaW and 8MiHi like this.
Old Sep 26, 2024 | 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SEA COTLB
Good evening.

Does anyone happen to know if you earn PQP's on purchased upgrade fees if you voluntarily change a ticket and therefore forfeit the non-refundable purchased upgrade? Lesson learned for next time...I'll change the ticket versus just buying up; I was navigating an employer purchased ticket.

Thx.

- ET
Interested in knowing this as well. I changed my flight to a day earlier to beat the hurricane (knowing full well I'd forfeit the upgrade fee) but am hoping I would still get the PQP for the purchase.
Old Sep 26, 2024 | 9:55 am
30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: UA Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by TechnoPagan
Interested in knowing this as well. I changed my flight to a day earlier to beat the hurricane (knowing full well I'd forfeit the upgrade fee) but am hoping I would still get the PQP for the purchase.
Given the travel waiver in effect, I think you have a very good case to get your upgrade fee back anyway. I think the PQP is tied to the segment and would be lost either way.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2024 | 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by periperi
Given the travel waiver in effect, I think you have a very good case to get your upgrade fee back anyway. I think the PQP is tied to the segment and would be lost either way.
I decided to call and see - after some time on hold the PQPs were applied for the paid upgrade from the original flight - I was happy with that outcome - I did not expect a refund.
Old Sep 30, 2024 | 11:44 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
I just did a paid upgrade this weekend. Called UA to verify that the upgrade fee would be applied to PQP since it just happened to cover the margin of moving me from Gold to Platinum for next year. The agent stated the entire upgrade fee would be applied to PQP and indeed, that's what I saw about 24 hours later.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.