Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club (ORD?) to-go coffee lids gone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club (ORD?) to-go coffee lids gone?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Not to my knowledge.
I only saw them in C16 lounge.

Moderator2 and unitedbusiness like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Ari
What is this about QR codes?
I know this thread is about lids, but if that’s another ORD lounge disappearance, that’s about as cheap as it gets.

Replacing the upstairs agents with that ridiculously inefficient and time consuming “Agent on Demand” that anyone can use is in really bad taste.

The agents downstairs are slammed with folks nonstop so there’s no way they can help with customer service... it’s bad enough they’ve ripped out the cardstock for thermal receipt paper.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
Still no lids in B6 nor C this AM (10/11/21)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
With proper Illy cups now, and no lids, feels intentional and not "blame supply chain"
Originally Posted by nevansm
I’m guessing somebody at ORD has caught wind of the self catering of PDB’s, since of course UA refuses to bring them back anytime soon (though I heard 12/1 perhaps).
BYOL
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
For cup lids, go to LAX:

David
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:44 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NikoLGA
I know this thread is about lids, but if that’s another ORD lounge disappearance, that’s about as cheap as it gets.

Replacing the upstairs agents with that ridiculously inefficient and time consuming “Agent on Demand” that anyone can use is in really bad taste.

The agents downstairs are slammed with folks nonstop so there’s no way they can help with customer service... it’s bad enough they’ve ripped out the cardstock for thermal receipt paper.
Boooooooo.

And I want my PDB lids back! (Used for coke zero).
Old Oct 13, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
No lids B6 club 10/13 mid afternoon
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
It’s now clearly a feature not a bug.

Somewhere, Smisek is smirking about another change we will like.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
It’s now clearly a feature not a bug.

Somewhere, Smisek is smirking about another change we will like.
Late to this thread but you're correct - lids and cups come from the same supplier location (industry standard that everyone makes both cups and lids). The UA supplier, US based, has multiple locations so no chance of it being a supply chain issue. As not everyone uses a lid for every cup, there is a chance UA simply screwed up ordering enough lids and lead times got extended.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
ORD B6 UC has lids!
7pm 10/15
i would send a photo but don’t know how to.
Glassware check on ORD-PHX upcoming.
SPN Lifer and geckoflyer like this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by runningshoes
Late to this thread but you're correct - lids and cups come from the same supplier location (industry standard that everyone makes both cups and lids). The UA supplier, US based, has multiple locations so no chance of it being a supply chain issue. As not everyone uses a lid for every cup, there is a chance UA simply screwed up ordering enough lids and lead times got extended.
I am not a UA defender, but most industry's supply chains are a mess. I can easily believe that specific items are a struggle to source. Lids (made from plastic) and cups (made of a paper base) can certainly have different availability and manufacturing issues.
I could also believe lids are available if they really wanted, at an increased price/shipping or with setting up different vendor streams, but United didn't want to expend the cost/effort.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am not a UA defender, but most industry's supply chains are a mess. I can easily believe that specific items are a struggle to source. Lids (made from plastic) and cups (made of a paper base) can certainly have different availability and manufacturing issues.
I could also believe lids are available if they really wanted, at an increased price/shipping or with setting up different vendor streams, but United didn't want to expend the cost/effort.
All of the above are possible, but unlikely. If you can get the cups you likely can get the lids as they come from the same building. It is of course possible that one item or the other had extended lead times. If it's really important I can try and find out this week......
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
Since I started this mess, I am happy to report that both ORD B6 and San Diego had lids last week. Further, the cup situation at ORD was uglier than a church potluck. Some standard cups combined with some generic/red cups in various stacks. Actually kind of laughable, but it would support a supply chain issue over a new "feature".
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
Today's WSJ has a related story today, headlines pasted below. United was ahead of the curve!

The Next Supply Chain Mess Is Coming for Your Morning Coffee

Mucked-up ports, freak storms, unfilled paper-mill jobs all have a hand in turning to-go cups and lids into one of the most precious goods in the U.S.

SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.