Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2021, 3:37 am

Programs: COdbaUA MM, AA EXP, AF S, Bonbon Gold, Hilton G, All G, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis Presidential
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I think only half the question has been answered. The rules are completely different if you have *A Gold status as the *first* question asked.

If you indeed are *G then you can access ANY lounge at LAX (Polaris possibly excluded for same reasons noted above) including the UA Club and AC Maple Leaf Lounge (if open). *A TBIT might be a problem because I think you can only access it if you clear security and re-enter TBIT after going through immigration. I don't know the terminal access rules and the LAX layout all that well to confirm this one. Someone else who is LAX-based or transits LAX more frequently will know.

-RM
The *A lounge is fully accessible airside from all terminals where *A members depart and has been for years now.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and Guate87 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
*A TBIT might be a problem because I think you can only access it if you clear security and re-enter TBIT after going through immigration.
I believe all international arrivals at UA hubs except IAH (?) are forced to exit landside after clearing immigration and customs.

So if you don't have a connecting flight to get back through security at that hub, you are out of luck using any lounge as an "arrival lounge". During over a quarter century living in the Bay Area, I used to enjoy the landside CO Presidents' Club at SFO for exactly that reason (regardless of whom I was flying). I don't know if LAX ever had a landside club, but they are a vanishing or extinct breed as far as airline-affiliated lounges go.
​​​​​​
JimInOhio and Guate87 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 6:47 am

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
I am in LAX every week. Last week I went to the AC, UC, and *A business lounges based on my *G status. Tomorrow I will be in LAX.

The *A Lounge Finder still incorrectly states "Lounge Temporarily Closed" regarding rhe AC Maple Leaf Lounge.

The OW Lounge Finder correctly states that OW S, E, and those flying J or F have access to the *A business lounge. The checkin guy confirmed that to me last week and the week before that. I fly AS and AA as often as I fly UA, so I like to keep current on lounge access.

Is there any official word on when the CL will reopen? What does "temporarily closed due to building repairs" really mean? I walk by weekly and don't see any construction work. Maybe it's an issue with the elevator?
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Guate87; Oct 19, 2021 at 7:07 am
Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I believe all international arrivals at UA hubs except IAH (?) are forced to exit landside after clearing immigration and customs.

So if you don't have a connecting flight to get back through security at that hub, you are out of luck using any lounge as an "arrival lounge". During over a quarter century living in the Bay Area, I used to enjoy the landside CO Presidents' Club at SFO for exactly that reason (regardless of whom I was flying). I don't know if LAX ever had a landside club, but they are a vanishing or extinct breed as far as airline-affiliated lounges go.
​​​​​​
While you are technically correct, that has nothing to do with the post I responded to. The OP is *connecting* international to domestic. They *do* have lounge access. My point was simply that I wasn't sure *A TBIT lounge access because I haven't transferred at LAX in years (since I last flew SYD-LAX-xxx). A poster above you confirms that *A TBIT lounge is accessible airside from all terminals. Great.

As for IAH...all IAH international arrives exit airside at Terminal E. You must re-clear security and/or take a train to a different terminal to connect. There are no "arrivals lounges" at IAH unless you are connecting.

-RM
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:51 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

​​​​​​
IAD connections go through the special (and dreadful) connection center and TSA security.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:32 am

As for IAH...all IAH international arrives exit airside at Terminal E. You must re-clear security and/or take a train to a different terminal to connect. There are no "arrivals lounges" at IAH unless you are connecting.

-RM
But there is no boarding pass check unless something has changed recently (like IAD). So one would have no issue reclearing security to go to a lounge on arrival assuming no checked bags.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I believe all international arrivals at UA hubs except IAH (?) are forced to exit landside after clearing immigration and customs....
​​​​​​
Only exception at IAH, for International to International transfers. While bags will be auto-transferred, humans still need to "enter" the USA (immigration / customs)
SPN Lifer and N1120A like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
But there is no boarding pass check unless something has changed recently (like IAD). So one would have no issue reclearing security to go to a lounge on arrival assuming no checked bags.
There was a BP checker last time I transited IAH (back in August). Walked past the baggage re-check because I had no luggage and then there was a BP checker before going up the escalator to get to security. Thinking back on that it is likely the first time I've seen someone checking BPs. There was definitely no one upstairs checking and no one at TSA care(s)(d).

-RM
Old Oct 19, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: COdbaUA MM, AA EXP, AF S, Bonbon Gold, Hilton G, All G, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis Presidential

​​​​​​
All US arrivals are technically "exiting" and have to reclear security, regardless of whether the airport (IAH/MIA) will do an onward bag connection to certain places using a camera system.

While you are technically correct, that has nothing to do with the post I responded to. The OP is *connecting* international to domestic. They *do* have lounge access. My point was simply that I wasn't sure *A TBIT lounge access because I haven't transferred at LAX in years (since I last flew SYD-LAX-xxx). A poster above you confirms that *A TBIT lounge is accessible airside from all terminals. Great.

-RM
A small correction - Bradley is not accessible airside from every terminal at LAX. It is accessible airside from all of those terminals where *A carriers arrive and depart.

Originally Posted by PTahCha
IAD connections go through the special (and dreadful) connection center and TSA security.
Eh, the customs hall isn't bad there, but the security checkpoint has a terrible design. Still, IAD's transfer customs enables some pretty short connections.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Only exception at IAH, for International to International transfers. While bags will be auto-transferred, humans still need to "enter" the USA (immigration / customs)
Exactly, and reclear security.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: UA *G MM
This thread suggests that if you have a domestic UA ticket and have UA *G then you CANNOT access the *A lounge. That must be a special rule for this lounge because my understanding is that UA*Gs are only blocked from UA lounges that are otherwise *G lounges. When I lived in the WAS area then I stopped by the LH and TK lounges on UA domestic flights if I arrived at the airport early.

I think RobOnLI is correct in post #5 but others contradict him.

I have an upcoming redeye domestic and was thinking of stopping by the *A lounge for an hour.

It is about 15 min walk from TB to the UA gates and can be done airside. I did it once flying IAD-LAX-AKL.

p.s. The lounge is open until 1 am. I think the NZ flight departs around 10 pm. Which flights depart later than that?

Last edited by gnaget; Dec 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by gnaget
This thread suggests that if you have a domestic UA ticket and have UA *G then you CANNOT access the *A lounge.
p.s. The lounge is open until 1 am. I think the NZ flight departs around 10 pm. Which flights depart later than that?
The *A Business Lounge in LAX TBIT is accessible to all *G members. The *A FIrst Class Lounge at LAX TBIT is only open to First Class flyers with tickets on international flights on certain airlines, like SQ. This is the only *A lounge in the US.

I go there almost every week and I have only flown domestic this year. Next week I will be in SFO but may have a flight through LAX too.

The lounge hours vary but typically it closes @ 11:15 pm. I ask the manager on duty every time I am there about their closing time. It depends on staffing and certain flights. The last time I said "You close at 1 a.m., right, like the website says?", several employees got mad at me.

OW S&E elites are also permitted in the *A Business lounge at TBIT because both the Qantas and OW lounges are closed.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=LAX

The showers are open, the food is hot, alcohol is self-pour, the outdoor fire pit and patio are great, and I love people watching from the indoor balcony.

Because the Centurion Lounge has been closed for many months, this is my go-to lounge at LAX (then I go to AL, AC, and UA lounges when flying UA and the *A, AA, and AL lounges when flying AL or AA. I am OW Sapphire).

Last edited by Guate87; Dec 9, 2021 at 11:41 am
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by gnaget
This thread suggests that if you have a domestic UA ticket and have UA *G then you CANNOT access the *A lounge. That must be a special rule for this lounge because my understanding is that UA*Gs are only blocked from UA lounges that are otherwise *G lounges. When I lived in the WAS area then I stopped by the LH and TK lounges on UA domestic flights if I arrived at the airport early.

I think RobOnLI is correct in post #5 but others contradict him.

I have an upcoming redeye domestic and was thinking of stopping by the *A lounge for an hour.

It is about 15 min walk from TB to the UA gates and can be done airside. I did it once flying IAD-LAX-AKL.
You taking items directed specifically at the OP out of context. The OP was not *G, and arriving in F/J, and further was thinking about a UA status match to *G (which may not have been reflected in the *A system).

It is correct any *A Gold can access the *A lounge (as a departure lounge, not arriving).
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Guate87
OW S&E elites are also permitted in the *A Business lounge at TBIT because both the Qantas and OW lounges are closed.

Not sure how up-to-date this is, but the referenced page from above says:

Access offered to eligible customers travelling on British Airways and Qatar Airways flights only.

It would be sweet if OW S + E can access it in on domestic (AA / AS) flights, in the same arrangement *G can access on domestic UA flights. Can OW S + E access the OW lounge in TBIT when it reopens when flying on domestic flights?
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
You taking items directed specifically at the OP out of context. The OP was not *G, and arriving in F/J, and further was thinking about a UA status match to *G (which may not have been reflected in the *A system).

It is correct any *A Gold can access the *A lounge (as a departure lounge, not arriving).
Both the OP and gnaget asked questions regarding pax who have *A Gold status:

"Which lounge(s) can I use if I have Mileage Plus *A Gold when transferring from an international flight to a domestic flight? Would it only be United Club or Star Alliance Lounge and Polaris lounge (currently closed) also?"
AND
"This thread suggests that if you have a domestic UA ticket and have UA *G then you CANNOT access the *A lounge"

You might be referring to the second hypothetical of the OP, but I wasn't.

Those of us who have been physically present in the *A and other lounges at LAX in the last few months are probably a better source of information than websites or experiences from previous years. I wanted to add my personal, weekly experience in hopes that this would help gnaget enjoy the *A lounge.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Aha, so maybe Qantas keeps it open later. Fiji Airways (the worst longhaul airline on the planet!) departs around 11 pm, but I think they would be too cheap to pay for the *A lounge.

Ok, I found it. Avianca flies to BOG at 23:45 so it makes sense that the lounge closes 23:15.

Originally Posted by Guate87
The *A Business Lounge in LAX TBIT is accessible to all *G members. The *A FIrst Class Lounge at LAX TBIT is only open to First Class flyers with tickets on international flights on certain airlines, like SQ. This is the only *A lounge in the US.

I go there almost every week and I have only flown domestic this year. Next week I will be in SFO but may have a flight through LAX too.

The lounge hours vary but typically it closes @ 11:15 pm. I ask the manager on duty every time I am there about their closing time. It depends on staffing and certain flights. The last time I said "You close at 1 a.m., right, like the website says?", several employees got mad at me.

The showers are open, the food is hot, alcohol is self-pour, the outdoor fire pit and patio are great, and I love people watching from the indoor balcony.

Because the Centurion Lounge has been closed for many months, this is my go-to lounge at LAX (then I go to AL, AC, and UA lounges when flying UA and the *A, AA, and AL lounges when flying AL or AA. I am OW Sapphire).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.