Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2022-2024]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pseudoswede
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2020-2021]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2014
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2013

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's or even $1,000s in future travel vouchers ($10,000 has been reported), it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

There are no DoT requirements for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2019 8,856 17
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2019 20,564 24
 2018 16,973 51

Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2022-2024]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Folks ate too much over the holidays in Kauai? 738 performance limited on that short runway? Still trying to understand the large-ish number of folks (6) who got bumped if flying in the LIH-SFO direction.

David
I'm also wondering..but not complaining. I already told hubby that, for tonight, I will take the flight home even if they offer the bump.

​​​​​And everyone that was bumped last night were VDB's we all bid $800 but got $1K instead 😁
Old Dec 29, 2022, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Bear in mind that LIH has relatively short (6,500-foot) runways. Not sure whether that was a factor here.
I believe there are multiple factors in play on this route because seats are blocked on flights to and from California, even with the scheduled 738-SFP aircraft. But on the return flight to California take-off weight and the short runways are definitely a significant factor.

I recently flew LIH-LAX as a NR and I was initially not cleared even though there were seats for sale at the time of boarding. The GA did not get the OK to clear NR's until about T-20.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
6500 ft rwy at LIH limits TO weight to 80t and change.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:26 am

Programs: UA, WN, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
VDB April 25, 2023

I did not find a thread specific to United VDBs in 2023; please move, or possibly combine with 2022 like 2020/ 2021.

VDB and $1000 voucher on April 25, UA 250 ABQ-DEN. Weight and Balance issue; initially asked for 5 volunteers and then increased to 7 total. The seating map, after departure, showed 17 empty seats. Just prior to this I received a text from UA cancelling my onward connection from DEN, so I took the VDB voucher plus 3 $20 meal vouchers. Best rebooking option was a 3 flight routing, avoiding DEN and its weather issues.
jsloan and DELee like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by KayakingNow
I did not find a thread specific to United VDBs in 2023; please move, or possibly combine with 2022 like 2020/ 2021.

VDB and $1000 voucher on April 25, UA 250 ABQ-DEN. Weight and Balance issue; initially asked for 5 volunteers and then increased to 7 total. The seating map, after departure, showed 17 empty seats. Just prior to this I received a text from UA cancelling my onward connection from DEN, so I took the VDB voucher plus 3 $20 meal vouchers. Best rebooking option was a 3 flight routing, avoiding DEN and its weather issues.
Congrats on the VDB and flexibility in your schedule to do the re-route. Must have been hard to spend $60 in meal vouchers in ABQ.

David
Old Apr 27, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA, WN, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
Congrats on the VDB and flexibility in your schedule to do the re-route. Must have been hard to spend $60 in meal vouchers in ABQ.

David
My *flexibility* was not volunteering and sitting in Denver for six hours to standby for a much later flight, or taking a scenic trip through two other UA hubs. I did reach my destination close to midnight Tuesday, about an hour later than the standby option arrived. But the trip allowed research into other Flyertalk topics, such as what to do with excess meal vouchers. I can confirm a well known *chocolate factory* in IAH C Terminal accepts them.
DELee likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KayakingNow
My *flexibility* was not volunteering and sitting in Denver for six hours to standby for a much later flight, or taking a scenic trip through two other UA hubs. I did reach my destination close to midnight Tuesday, about an hour later than the standby option arrived. But the trip allowed research into other Flyertalk topics, such as what to do with excess meal vouchers. I can confirm a well known *chocolate factory* in IAH C Terminal accepts them.
Well definitely enjoy the value of the flight credit and the collection of items from the *factory* received in IAH.

David
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:42 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
6 pax bumped today on a one a day CRJ2 flight LWS-DEN. Everyone got $2k UA credit, hotel, meal vouchers. All rebooked same flight tomorrow. Weight issue -- river cruise ended there this morning. Everyone showed up, and mostly with checked bags. The plane left with at least 6 seats empty -- it was all weight.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat1A
6 pax bumped today on a one a day CRJ2 flight LWS-DEN. Everyone got $2k UA credit, hotel, meal vouchers. All rebooked same flight tomorrow. Weight issue -- river cruise ended there this morning. Everyone showed up, and mostly with checked bags. The plane left with at least 6 seats empty -- it was all weight.
$2k to not get on a CR2? Done! 😁 Only problem is having to get on one tomorrow. 😖

I've got to start going through LWS and ABQ more. 😅
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:11 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by fumje
$2k to not get on a CR2? Done! 😁 Only problem is having to get on one tomorrow. 😖
my thoughts exactly. LWS-DEN is a little over 800 miles. That's s haul on a CRJ2. (I wasn't on this flight. They started at 1k, my mother volunteered at 1500, it was 2k by the time they got the 6 they needed. All 6 were from the cruise -- i hear they had a nice lunch together on the meal vouchers. )
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje

I've got to start going through LWS and ABQ more. 😅
Remember to pick the days when the river cruise gets in.

David
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Gave up my seat ORD-SEA today for ORD-IAH-SEA.

AS and DL were sold out on nonstops so im
getting in later then I would have liked.

I volunteered on the app for $2,000 - because I never get picked anymore, and just for giggles.
Imagine when I got called up early to the gate and they asked if I was still interested

Im probably going to miss some of my concert tonight (Rhapsody of Fire and Windrose if anyone cares), but with a 2K voucher I can go travel to another show and still come our way ahead.

Thats easily my biggest score ever! And IAH-SEA says full too. Did something happen at SEA recently, or just a busy travel time?

Agents also put me in first for both legs, so apologies to whomever was #1 On these legs and profusely thanked me.

also earlier this morning I woke up to a text from United that my wife and Is HND-IAD flight in the summer was confirmed for an upgrade.

Someone pinch me, seriously. Ive sucked up all my good luck for the year.

Last edited by BThumme; May 22, 2023 at 11:48 am
Old Jun 23, 2023, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So, a sort of DP, and curious of what you would have done.

Was booked SFO-LAX on the 1:50p flight. Checked in night before, with seats still available (I think both cabins, but I was in Y), and all seemed normal.

About 2 hours prior to departure, I found out, after I was at the airport, didn't need to be in LA anymore, so went to refund my ticket (booked refundable since I knew there was a decent chance I'd need to cancel). However, when I went to manage my reservation, was prompted for VDB bid. Before doing anything, decided to look into it more...looked like an evening flight got canceled, so my flight filled up, and had 20 on standby list. Woah. Bid page gave the default options as $600, $700 and $800 (plus custom) - not sure if this is standard amounts or they base it on what they think a specific flight will take.

Considered it, but didn't want really want to stick around for probably the extra 90-120 minutes. Also, was concerned about a cancelation glitching so close to flight close if I didn't get VDB, and also if UA is tracking these things (I suspect they wouldn't take kindly if they thought someone was booking refundable tickets to try and VDB, then refunding tickets after - I feel like there was a trend of this happening several years ago, along with a spate of Mileage running). So ended up just canceling and I didn't find out if anyone took a VDB, I suspect there were some given, since standby list after departure didn't show anyone clearing, and every seat went out full.

Just curious what you would have done - stuck it out to take VDB, or just canceling?
Old Jun 23, 2023, 3:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Refundable flights can be cancelled post flight.

There is no IDB is due to a flight cancellation, so UA's obligation is less pressing, especially if all booked passengers on the flight were accommodated.

I have signed up for VDB dozens of times and never been successful

Long standby list can be NRSA, so would need to cross check both standby lists to draw a conclusion .
jsloan, SPN Lifer and friedablass like this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
6/28 UA69 ARN-EWR

Miss Swede's boyfriend is flying back to DEN, and there was an announcement offering $1000 to be re-rerouted via Germany and arrive in EWR at 8pm (given UA69 was already delayed, this meant arriving about 7 hours later). He inquired, but the gate agent said that there were no onward flights to DEN that evening (and MUC-DEN also appears to be fully boooked).

Given that all EWR-DEN flights are full, he's going to try ro VDB at EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.