Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2022-2024]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pseudoswede
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2020-2021]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2014
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2013

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's or even $1,000s in future travel vouchers ($10,000 has been reported), it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

There are no DoT requirements for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2019 8,856 17
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2019 20,564 24
 2018 16,973 51

Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2022-2024]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gnopps
Actually yes, it is possible to define stopover-points below 24h when pricing the ticket manually. It can be useful when you want to break the ticket at a transfer point because you know that you might later want to transform your layover to a 24+ stopover.
OK, granted, but its not something United.com or any OTA is going to do automatically. Youd have to do it specifically with that intent, and, as you say, via manual pricing.
SPN Lifer and Gnopps like this.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
9/25 UA2014 DEN-SDF 1003-1433

Backstory: This was a ticket actually purchased in April/May 2022 for a trip in August 2022, but I had to cancel due to a family emergency. Before I had to cancel, and due to a schedule change which allowed for one free change, I was actually able to up-fare the whole ticket to F for a nominal amount (like $120). After a few rebookings, I was eventually able to re-book it for this week, and I was also able to up-fare it all the way up to a C fare without any additional OOP costs (besides that $120).

Massive, massive international convention going on in SDF this past week. I was simply trying to travel to HQ for some training. I get to the gate about an hour before departure and ask whether they are looking for volunteers. The GA's eyes lit up and exclaimed, "Yes!" He said $500, and I would be rebooked DEN-EWR-SDF, arriving about 5 hours later than planned. I didn't have to be at the office until Tuesday morning, so it was fine with me. He also said not to board until the end. I said I would think about it. A few minutes later, as I was looking at the United app's flight status page, it appears I was going to be protected on an DEN-IAH-SDF routing instead since that suddenly appeared. The GA came over and said if it was okay if I went through Houston instead (arriving 5 hours later). I said, I'd still think about it--and I also dropped the bombshell that I was traveling in F and whether they would provide downgrade compensation (all flights to IAH and ORD were already booked solid in F). He looked a bit dejected but gave a thumbs up. A more senior GA showed up, and the GA started talking to her, and gesturing in my direction.

When pre-boarding was announced, I went back up to the GA, and he said the downgrade compensation was the deal-breaker. Oh well.

It also turned out for the best. For some odd reason, I kept getting text messages as if I took the bump. As it turned out, the IAH-SDF flight kept getting more delayed and was eventually canceled due to maintenance. I also got a text message that I was rebooked for IAH-ORD-SDF, and I wouldn't have arrived in SDF until Tuesday evening.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Sep 29, 2023 at 4:41 pm
Old Sep 29, 2023, 8:33 pm

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Evening EWR-LHR over by one a few weeks back. Accepted $800 to fly one hour later. Original flight took a delay and my new flight arrived 5 minutes before my original flight. First successful VDB for me post-Covid.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: UA1P
I was flying international xxx to SFO. I checked in the night before. Arrived at xxx 55 before flight time when I had a bag to check. I was told I had to rebook even though the plane was delayed by 10 minutes (so real departure time was 1 hour 5 minutes). I rebooked for $54 on United metal through Denver 4 hours later. At the gate I accepted $1400 VDB compensation. I was rebooked on a direct another Star Alliance flight the next day.

Last edited by 12172003; Oct 16, 2023 at 12:24 am
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, ITA Executive
IAD-EWR-XXX, $1100 for IAD-EWR and rebooked on direct flight to nearby airport IAD-YYY taking off at same time. Took bus from YYY-XXX and made it before EWR-XXX. Equipment swap from A320 to A319 - earlier in the day when checking-in they offered $600 immediately for travel on the next day, or you could waitlist for more. Needed to be in XXX or YYY by the evening so I couldn't take the $600 online but was going to tell them to send me to YYY if it was still needed at the gate.

My first time ever doing VDB, after volunteering plenty of times just to be told no need for what feels like ages.... What I found interesting was that there were still a few seats open after it left, and a few standbys cleared. There were also some BE pax at the gate who weren't pleased at the podium and kept asking if they were going to fly or not - maybe they were 1st in line for IDB? I would have stayed and watched everything but this all happened within 3 minutes and I was off sprinting to a far-off gate for the rebooked flight. I only arrived a minute prior to boarding and heard the announcement asking for one more volunteer shortly after. I did not negotiate and took my $1100 and ran. Anyways, I was a very happy passenger TLDR: IAD-EWR $1100 for a handful of pax.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and pudgym29 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
$1500 for EWR-SEA as there are only 2 direct flights a day. Was put on next direct one leaving 10 hours later. Works just fine for me. Back to NYC for work.

I had put a bid for 700/800...so happy with this bonus.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, RobOnLI and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 6:43 pm

Programs: hahaha
$1000 DEN-YEG x5 this evening

Hopefully people stay awhile in Edmonton for US Thanksgiving because I'm flying NRSA on the reverse on Friday and don't wanna miss my seat
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Today's morning CRJ from MKE-ORD was oversold by 2 - agent announcements included a note that if two people aren't found the flight won't go. (!) Settled at $1500 and I jumped. They included the bus voucher to Ohare, and rebooked me on AA to my final destination in First. No complaints!
Old Dec 3, 2023, 9:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
9/25 UA2014 DEN-SDF 1003-1433

Backstory: This was a ticket actually purchased in April/May 2022 for a trip in August 2022, but I had to cancel due to a family emergency. Before I had to cancel, and due to a schedule change which allowed for one free change, I was actually able to up-fare the whole ticket to F for a nominal amount (like $120). After a few rebookings, I was eventually able to re-book it for this week, and I was also able to up-fare it all the way up to a C fare without any additional OOP costs (besides that $120).

Massive, massive international convention going on in SDF this past week. I was simply trying to travel to HQ for some training. I get to the gate about an hour before departure and ask whether they are looking for volunteers. The GA's eyes lit up and exclaimed, "Yes!" He said $500, and I would be rebooked DEN-EWR-SDF, arriving about 5 hours later than planned. I didn't have to be at the office until Tuesday morning, so it was fine with me. He also said not to board until the end. I said I would think about it. A few minutes later, as I was looking at the United app's flight status page, it appears I was going to be protected on an DEN-IAH-SDF routing instead since that suddenly appeared. The GA came over and said if it was okay if I went through Houston instead (arriving 5 hours later). I said, I'd still think about it--and I also dropped the bombshell that I was traveling in F and whether they would provide downgrade compensation (all flights to IAH and ORD were already booked solid in F). He looked a bit dejected but gave a thumbs up. A more senior GA showed up, and the GA started talking to her, and gesturing in my direction.

When pre-boarding was announced, I went back up to the GA, and he said the downgrade compensation was the deal-breaker. Oh well.

It also turned out for the best. For some odd reason, I kept getting text messages as if I took the bump. As it turned out, the IAH-SDF flight kept getting more delayed and was eventually canceled due to maintenance. I also got a text message that I was rebooked for IAH-ORD-SDF, and I wouldn't have arrived in SDF until Tuesday evening.
Sounds lame. I see $1500+ experiences in this thread, sounds like a poor experience IMHO. Glad it turned out for the best but I would be annoyed if it were me.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:49 am

EWR-LHR on December 20th UA 940. Currently at J0 O0 Y4 (J and PY not for sale anymore). I'm booked on cash Z ticket. Possible overbooking? I'm platinum so not worried about bump, but wouldn't mind some compensation for an overbook.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerMad27
EWR-LHR on December 20th UA 940. Currently at J0 O0 Y4 (J and PY not for sale anymore). I'm booked on cash Z ticket. Possible overbooking? I'm platinum so not worried about bump, but wouldn't mind some compensation for an overbook.
Unless there is some really nasty IRROPS soon, there is no chance you'll be considered for a VDB since you're already in Polaris. Maybe if you're willing to get downgraded on the same flight, but that's also unlikely.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerMad27
It is extremely rare for UA to overbook J. When they overbook PE, its usually only up to the number of available J seats. So J0 O0 is more likely to mean booked to capacity than overbooked, at least in those cabins. Y4 could mean theyre at or near the total planes capacity though, depending upon what Revenue Management has authorized.

Unless there is some really nasty IRROPS soon, there is no chance you'll be considered for a VDB since you're already in Polaris. Maybe if you're willing to get downgraded on the same flight, but that's also unlikely.
IME, agents arent usually all that discerning about to whom they give VDBs theyre happy to have their problem solved. Its not that much extra work for them to VDB OP to a different flight in J and then upgrade someone into the vacated seat.

Incidentally, I got my first VDB in years last month: $1500 for. IAD-DTW for the last flight on Friday, November 24, oversold by 3 (!). The next flight was the following morning, so they were having a hard time getting takers. I found that there was a seat available on IAD-DAY that evening, so I still made it to Detroit that night.

I did get a nice laugh from the people boarding, though, when I noticed a guy decked out in Ohio State gear. Man, if Id know there was an Ohio State fan on board, I would have just told you to bump him instead. (for those of you who dont follow college football, Michigan / Ohio State is a huge rivalry and the game was Saturday, November 25 this year).
pseudoswede and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
IME, agents arent usually all that discerning about to whom they give VDBs theyre happy to have their problem solved. Its not that much extra work for them to VDB OP to a different flight in J and then upgrade someone into the vacated seat.
I suppose that's true. In my recent experience noted upthread, all F seats were booked solid the whole week from all hubs that UA flies to SDF, and the GA didn't want to deal with having to deal with downgrade compensation.

Incidentally, I got my first VDB in years last month: $1500 for. IAD-DTW for the last flight on Friday, November 24, oversold by 3 (!). The next flight was the following morning, so they were having a hard time getting takers. I found that there was a seat available on IAD-DAY that evening, so I still made it to Detroit that night.
Did you pay for your own rental car DAY-DTW, or did you request reimbursement?
Old Dec 17, 2023, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose that's true. In my recent experience noted upthread, all F seats were booked solid the whole week from all hubs that UA flies to SDF, and the GA didn't want to deal with having to deal with downgrade compensation.

Ah, yes, that would throw a monkey wrench into the works.

Did you pay for your own rental car DAY-DTW, or did you request reimbursement?
As it happens, I was already planning a one-way rental, so it was just a matter of changing the pickup point the price wasnt affected meaningfully. Considering they otherwise would have had to provide a hotel voucher, I suspect I probably could have gotten reimbursement if it had been needed.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
UA2263 ORD-LAX (hd 772).

Gate agents asking for a biz passenger to downgrade to economy for $1000 voucher. I thought about going up and asking for $1500 but looks like someone bit.

Price seemed a bit low.

The price economy seat was an exit row aisle for what its worth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.