Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA flyers' thoughts on purple / Vitelotte potatoes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA flyers' thoughts on purple / Vitelotte potatoes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by dkc192
Purple potatoes. I wish UA would stop serving these exotic, esoteric ingredients and combinations that don't make much sense or appeal to the average American, and just focus on simple, high-quality ingredients and dishes that have broad appeal. Both DL and AA do this quite well, or at least significantly better than UA. For example, instead of potato vitelotte, why not just regular roasted or mashed potatoes, or another grain like polenta?
DL also serves its share of those so-called “exotic” ingredients you mentioned , including a lot of the annoying Impossible meatball products !
Agreed…let’s get back to high quality basics !
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Gold
Purple potatoes. I wish UA would stop serving these exotic, esoteric ingredients and combinations that don't make much sense or appeal to the average American, and just focus on simple, high-quality ingredients and dishes that have broad appeal. Both DL and AA do this quite well, or at least significantly better than UA. For example, instead of potato vitelotte, why not just regular roasted or mashed potatoes, or another grain like polenta?
What is exotic about a purple potato?
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Probably the folks who haven't had a purple potato who think that
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It was beyond awful. I just couldn't. I am surprised noone else posted this EXOTIC creation yet. If I see it on menu, I will never order it again. I just want a damn potato and a chicken that is at least the same size of it.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
DL also serves its share of those so-called “exotic” ingredients you mentioned , including a lot of the annoying Impossible meatball products !
Agreed…let’s get back to high quality basics !
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
It was beyond awful. I just couldn't. I am surprised noone else posted this EXOTIC creation yet. If I see it on menu, I will never order it again. I just want a damn potato and a chicken that is at least the same size of it.
I guess I made my point poorly, my bad. What I was trying to say is that UA thinks it can fancify its menu by using exotic, fancy, less commonly used ingredients (or however you want to describe them) such as potato vitelotte or chocolate demi-glace. This often results in a weird or otherwise unappealing combination put on the plate. If they are spending more money on these random ingredients thinking that they can elevate the dish as a whole, I'd rather they spend it on a higher-quality and/or more substantial piece of protein instead (e.g., more filet or steak instead of short rib please).

For example, I recently had the turbot from the menu in question. The cook on the turbot was excellent, so credit where it's due, but I found the inclusion of sliced orange and grapefruit (that looked like it came from a can) to be odd, and it worsened my overall impression of the dish as a whole.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
If they are spending more money on these random ingredients thinking that they can elevate the dish as a whole, I'd rather they spend it on a higher-quality and/or more substantial piece of protein instead (e.g., more filet or steak instead of short rib please).
I suspect the purple potato and other "exotic" ingredients were actually cheaper than the less "exotic" ingredients. I personally have a hard time believing they are green lighting expensive purple potato over regular potato - they probably got a deal (or the caterer)
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.