Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Date change hack to view waitlist early -- dead again (website & app)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Date change hack to view waitlist early -- dead again (website & app)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA General member
You might be able to get the browser to allow you to ignore the TLS failure using incognito or private browsing mode and using the advanced or proceed anyway buttons
Old Feb 25, 2024, 9:57 am

Was able to successfully do the date change trick for a flight in early April last week on both my phone and laptop. I did not get any popup or issue. The loophole seems to still work?
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
soon not anymore...
ll22949 and jcturnbull like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

End of an error - another upgrade list hack no longer works

For the last several weeks someone has published a website that used United's flight status API to grab the upgrade list of any flight regardless of date. I'd been sneakily doing it myself for a year or so with a Python script a friend wrote. But it looks like United finally noticed and implemented some security. Their API now rejects queries for flights more than 4 days out.

{
"errors": [
{
"id": "6613xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxx",
"status": 500,
"code": null,
"detail": "Invalid departure date. The flight departure date is over 4 days.",
"minorCode": null,
"minorDescription": null
}
]
}
Alas! it was nice while it lasted. And if anyone from United IT sees this and wants to give me a secret API endpoint I can use, my DMs are open.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
For the last several weeks someone has published a website that used United's flight status API to grab the upgrade list of any flight regardless of date. I'd been sneakily doing it myself for a year or so with a Python script a friend wrote. But it looks like United finally noticed and implemented some security. Their API now rejects queries for flights more than 4 days out.

Alas! it was nice while it lasted. And if anyone from United IT sees this and wants to give me a secret API endpoint I can use, my DMs are open.
I thought that you meant "end of an Era."
We still use the "date change" trick on smart devices. I only care about my own flight. As long as this trick is kept, I will be a happy camper.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think the date change trick will work anymore either. It just confuses the frontend to let you see flight dates based on what the system clock is set to, but once the frontend passes the request to the API the API will reject them.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Sigh. And this is why you don't talk about this kind of thing, let alone publish a website for it...

This particular bug leaked a lot of rather private information for UA, so I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, but still sad.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by findark
Sigh. And this is why you don't talk about this kind of thing, let alone publish a website for it...

This particular bug leaked a lot of rather private information for UA, so I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, but still sad.

It seems pretty weird that they didn’t validate the input parameter to the API. Perhaps the API was originally designed for a different (internal) purpose and then just used for something unintended and not anticipated by the API designer? And so fixing it wasn’t quite as simple as adding ge validation (though really not complex either).
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
It seems pretty weird that they didn’t validate the input parameter to the API. Perhaps the API was originally designed for a different (internal) purpose and then just used for something unintended and not anticipated by the API designer? And so fixing it wasn’t quite as simple as adding ge validation (though really not complex either).
It's just lazy devs.

Frontend says "I want all of this data" so the backend dev writes a single query which exposes all the data in the system so the frontend dev can choose what to render. No one audits for security, because no one involved cares. This kind of thing happens all the time. "We should maybe validate this input" doesn't come with the kind of devs UA pays for.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by findark

Indeed, sad here too. Just noticed it's gone.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 4:40 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Any way currently to see UA flight status a week or 2 ahead of time? Thank you.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Any way currently to see UA flight status a week or 2 ahead of time? Thank you.
I tried looking at flights in early May on my iPad, no go. UA website error or something like that. And sometimes it shows the top part of the flight status, only missing the important part, WL.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
~10 years ago there was a “hack” to be able to see future UA flight status, can’t recall exactly how far into the future, IIRC about a month or so. It didn’t work yesterday, went to US generic flight status landing page.
To See Upgrade List:
Format: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...ults.aspx?FLN=nnnn&FLD=mm/dd/yyyy&FSO=AAA&FSD=BBB
nnnn = flight number, mm/dd/yyyy = scheduled departure date, AAA = originating airport code, BBB = destination airport code
Sample: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...ults.aspx?FLN=645&FLD=04/12/2021&FSO=EWR&FSD=TPA
Old Apr 10, 2024, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, some numbnuts made a public website that queried the United flight status API to get upgrade lists any time in the future. United noticed and modified the API to reject queries for flights >4 days out.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 7:22 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Is there any way to see where i am on the upgrade list for a flight more than 2 days out other than calling? I used to be able to change the date on my computer to the day before a flight and see the upgrade list, but that doesn't seem to work now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.