Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs) / Cancelation Refund [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2023, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact Uniteds Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

Unacceptable (UA): Misconnecting itinerary | Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least
+ / - 30 minutes
Options Change to alternate UA flight (same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule)

Unacceptable (UA): Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more | Flight(s) canceled with no protection| Flight goes from non-stop to connection Options Change to alternate UA flight with same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule, or travel agencies can refund through ARC, BSP, GDS.

Old snapshots of jetstream

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 100 mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
Please see footnote below regarding the handling of United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact Uniteds Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.
6 June 2020
Now posted on Jetstream -- UA's Travel Agency Rebooking Parameters

UA has stated
On June 5, 2020, United updated its guidance to its contact agents to provide refunds for all flights that had a carrier-initiated schedule change of more than two (2) hours. This change in guidance applies to all passengers, both moving forward and retrospectively, including for carrier-initiated schedule changes throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
Wording on UA's Schedule changes page is still vague

12 May 2020 *New* (2nd) Guidance on DOT Refunds
4. May airlines and ticket agents retroactively apply new refund policies?
The Department interprets the statutory prohibition against unfair or deceptive practices to cover actions by airlines and ticket agents applying changes retroactively to their refund policies that affect consumers negatively. The refund policy in place at the time the passenger purchased the ticket is the policy that is applicable to that ticket. The Aviation Enforcement Office would consider the denial of refunds in contravention of the policies that were in effect at the time of the ticket purchase to be an unfair and deceptive practice.The Department interprets the statutory prohibition against unfair or deceptive practices to cover actions by airlines and ticket agents applying changes retroactively to their refund policies that affect consumers negatively. The refund policy in place at the time the passenger purchased the ticket is the policy that is applicable to that ticket. The Aviation Enforcement Office would consider the denial of refunds in contravention of the policies that were in effect at the time of the ticket purchase to be an unfair and deceptive practice.
Choosing between UA Electronic Travel Certificate (ETC) vs Future Flight Credit (FFC)
4 April 2020
Were extending electronic certificates
To give you more flexibility when you travel, electronic certificates are now valid for 24 months from the date they were issued. This includes all currently valid electronic certificates and all new ones issued on or after April 1, 2020.

This policy change will automatically appear, but it may not be reflected everywhere right away. Wed appreciate your patience as we work to make that happen.
As of APR 3:
Both US Department of Transportation and European Commission affirms that a refund must be provided for airline-cancelled flights upon passenger request.
ENFORCEMENT NOTICE REGARDING REFUNDS BY CARRIERS GIVEN THE UNPRECEDENTED IMPACT OF THE COVID-19 PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY ON AIR TRAVEL
European Commission reaffirming on 18 MARCH 2020 that a refund is (still) an option due to cancelled flights despite COVID-19.

Asof 3 April
According to jetstream (UA's travel agency reference resource):

If schedule change > 6 hours (or cancellation with no rebook) a refund is allowed.
If you bought via OTA (Any Online Travel Agency like expedia/orbitz/), and want to perform changes/refund due to the waiver
1) go via OTA first, request cancel per United Jetstream rules
2) if OTA resists and only offers travel credit (instead of refund per Jetstream rules), try contacting UA directly to authorized refund, then contact OTA. Once OTA sees refund, you should get your money back from OTA
3) see this post for more information

For flights departing European Union, UA is required to provide a refund within 7 days upon passenger request for cancellation or schedule change in excess of 5 hours (see Section B).
The
Notice of Passenger Rights granted by EC261/2004 is linked on this UA page.

For purposes of EC261/2004, the following countries are considered "Community member states."
EU means the 27 EU countries , including Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, Runion Island, Mayotte, Saint-Martin (French Antilles), the Azores, Madeira and the Canary Islands as well as Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. It does not include the Faeroe Islands, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

US DOT position from 2011 concerning cancelled flights and refunds (page 23129)
We reject some carriers and carrier associations assertions that carriers are not required to refund a passengers fare when a flight is cancelled if the carrier can accommodate the passenger with other transportation options after the cancellation. We find it to be manifestly unfair for a carrier to fail to provide the transportation contracted for and then to refuse to provide a refund if the passenger finds the offered rerouting unacceptable (e.g., greatly delayed or otherwise inconvenient) and he or she no longer wishes to travel. Since at least the time of an Industry Letter of July 15, 1996 the Departments Aviation Enforcement Office has advised carriers that refusing to refund a non-refundable fare when a flight is canceled and the passenger wishes to cancel is a violation of 49 U.S.C. 41712 (unfair or deceptive practices) and would subject a carrier to enforcement action.

If you believe UA is not refunding "in good faith" and/or outright violating the policy/rules above, your options are (in no particular order or combination):
  • Make an attempt to reach out to UA again and escalate to supervisor and/or put in a refund request on UA page.
  • File complaint with US DoT or relevant Community member state enforcement agency.
  • File a chargeback with your credit card issuer under "Services not provided" after an attempt (note date/time etc) of resolving with UA has been made. ***CAUTION*** Under VISA rules (Table 11-95), a chargeback has to be initiated within 120 days from the date the service is expected to be delivered. As such, if you don't file a chargeback until you are eligible for a refund under UA's "no refund until ticket expires" or UA subsequently deciding to extend all ticket validity beyond 12 months, you may find you will no longer be able to initiate a chargeback. Mastercard should provide similar timeframes. Need confirmation on AMEX/Discover.
***CAUTION*** UA have been offering Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC) as an option instead of exchanging your ticket for future travel. You may be no longer be eligible for a refund even after ticket expiration or be able to initiate a chargeback if you accept an ETC.

United made a controversial change to their refund policy due to schedule changes during the current COVID-19 situation. United's previous schedule change policy allow for refunds if scheduled changed > 2 hours. If you wish to proceed with a charge back due to UA retroactively apply this change, the following links (policies no longer current) could serve to support your case with your credit card issuer and/or with a regulatory complaint.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...arameters.aspx (This links to policy in effect prior to COVID-19)
https://www.united.com/web/format/pdf/agency/bookticket/AgencyRebookingParameters2016_Print.pdf (This links to policy in effect prior to COVID-19)
BACKUP link - http://archive.is/q8jDz (This links to policy in effect prior to COVID-19 and is not a UA link)

Note: UA is being very reluctant to provide refunds. However UA is allowing "free" mileage redeposit

Related thread: Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

archive thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs) / Cancelation Refund [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020 | 12:42 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by username
Your profile says you are 1K MM and there is no redeposit fee for 1Ks.
There is for my kid's miles.
Old Mar 22, 2020 | 9:30 am
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
Has anybody filed a DOT complaint about not getting a cash refund when UA cancels the flight?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Been extensively discussed in this thread and appears many have or will but no one has reported on the outcome (yet).
Thanks. Yeah, the outcome is what I was getting at. I'll wait with bated breath.
Old Mar 22, 2020 | 10:02 am

May Flight Cancellation

Trying to wrap my head around the new change/cancellation policies. I purchased a flight on march 3rd for a flight at the end of May. Seems now that every other airlines prices for the same flight path are hundreds of dollars cheaper then United's price. If I book one of those other airlines (and hope for a flight in may), what are my options with United's ticket? Cancel and turn into a voucher for future travel? Or will there be a fee at the time I cash in thr voucher/credit. My head is swimming no matter how many times I read the cancellation policy.
Old Mar 22, 2020 | 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M100 Nights5 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Is this itinerary being serviced by UA and/or other airlines today? Will it be serviced by late May? A lot of uncertainties at this point. I would suggest to wait until some clear evidence of clarity presents itself.
Old Mar 22, 2020 | 10:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dcartie
Trying to wrap my head around the new change/cancellation policies. I purchased a flight on march 3rd for a flight at the end of May. Seems now that every other airlines prices for the same flight path are hundreds of dollars cheaper then United's price. If I book one of those other airlines (and hope for a flight in may), what are my options with United's ticket? Cancel and turn into a voucher for future travel? Or will there be a fee at the time I cash in thr voucher/credit. My head is swimming no matter how many times I read the cancellation policy.
1. Any scheduled flight in May has uncertainty.
2. UA flight purchases in March 2020 (starting 3 March) will have no change fee BUT no refund or credit if a lower fare. On voluntary cancellation, there is only future flight credit. On cancelled operations, you will have future flight credit. What happens at 12 months after purchase is a bit fuzzy, appears the credit will remain as another type of credit (ETC) for another 12 months. No refunds (for discount fares).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 22, 2020 at 10:37 am Reason: more
Old Mar 22, 2020 | 10:49 am

United Airlines charging restocking fees for award travel

We got 5 tickets in the March 2020 timeframe using award travel.
Because of the Corona virus, the event in May was cancelled.

I cancelled the tickets on-line and got the $5 booking fee back and the award miles credited to the account.
I later on found that they charged a restocking fee to refund the miles back to the account of $125 for each passenger !
That is $725 for the whole family.

I tried calling customer service and they connected me to someone else that said that they cannot refund the restocking fee.

Have you heard of the above and the airline refusing to refund and honor the no cancellation fee during the Corona Virus period ?
Who can I file a complaint with ? I want o dispute the charges and make aware of the above to other customers.

Southwest did not have any similar problems.

thanks
Govind
Old Mar 22, 2020 | 10:55 am
Original Member
20 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Well first we have to talk about force majeure, right?

Seriously, I am very skeptical that sending legal briefs arguing the meaning of contractual provisions is likely to get you a positive outcome here....
Originally Posted by rch4u
It actually worked perfectly just now - got a quick response, an apology for the hassle, and the refund.
Glad to see you are getting a refund after quoting CoC but not glad to see that UA is misleading passengers who don't read the CoC. As most passengers don't read the CoC. UA is taking advantage of this.

Originally Posted by ken_ll
That was March 12. Tonight, I get the response from United, “We're sorry for any inconvenience that resulted from the recent change to your itinerary. While we appreciate you reaching out to us, the fare rules don't allow a refund or name change, you can exchange your ticket for future travel. A service charge as well as any applicable fare difference will be applied at the time of the exchange. The exchange must be completed within a year of the ticket issue date. For rescheduling information, please visit www.united.com or call 1-800-UNITED1.” My situation resulted from a schedule change over 6 hours. Now there is no way for us to fly YOW-SJU on United, shortly flights will not exist from Canada.

At this point DOT or CC chargeback.
When compared with rch4u's experience.....IMO, this suggest UA is fully aware that despite specific itinerary changes/cancellations warranting a refund according to their CoC, they have instructed their agents not only NOT to inform passenger they are eligible refund but to outright mislead passenger in saying they are not eligible despite request (clearly violating CoC).

Your options are to try going back to UA referring to Rule 24 in CoC, file a chargeback, file a DOT complaint.

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you have been rescheduled for another flight, and you no-show it, then a paid, non-refundable fare would be forfeit and an award ticket would be subject to a $125 no-show fee. In that case, you should call UA to tell them that the replacement flight doesn't work for. If you haven't, then there is no particular hurry, except that UA's policies seem to be shifting frequently.
FYI - AA has suspended "cancel by departure or no value" provisions for all tickets for travel till end of March. UA should just do the same if they haven't done so already.

Originally Posted by STS-134
I don't think that's very good advice. When a company is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, you should want to get your money out, if you can, ASAP. Definition of bankruptcy is that you cannot pay your creditors and as a person who holds a flight credit, that would be you.

I expect UA to cut most or all of their Hawaii routes very soon. Hawaii just announced mandatory 14 day quarantine for inbound travelers, effective from Thursday, and HA already announced that they're going to a "bare bones" operation for their Hawaii to US Mainland service after Wednesday.
Just to clarify, if ticket is purchased with credit card, then the passenger will unlikely suffer a loss for the amount paid on the credit card. The Acquiring bank that the airline uses to handle credit card transaction holds a reserve of airline ticket sales for chargebacks. If this reserve is exhausted for whatever reason, the Acquiring bank is liable for all valid chargebacks. The Acquiring bank then becomes a creditor in airline bankruptcy proceedings.
Old Mar 22, 2020 | 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Is this itinerary being serviced by UA and/or other airlines today? Will it be serviced by late May? A lot of uncertainties at this point. I would suggest to wait until some clear evidence of clarity presents itself.
I tend to agree on waiting. It's just the possibility of getting the same flight for hundreds cheaper that has me second guessing. Flights would have to be purchased by march 31 though it looks like. Yes the original flight is united, all others have dropped process to crazy low levels.
Old Mar 22, 2020 | 11:03 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Some were asking about the DOT reply... I filed a complaint noting the recent extensive policy changes of United offering refunds within the 2 hour window. (Again, I realize the language of the CoC, but I can imagine where written policy on their website is just as valid). Only nice thing around all of this is that airlines are required to respond to each complaint. I can only imagine the number they are having to respond to now.

Dear XXX,

This responds to your communication regarding United Airlines. The U.S. Department of Transportation seeks to ensure that all airline passengers are treated fairly. Complaints from consumers are helpful to us in determining whether the airlines are in compliance with our rules and to track trends or spot areas of concern that warrant further action.

Based on the information you have provided, your complaint appears to fall under the Department's rules. I will forward your complaint to the airline and ask the company to respond directly to you with a copy to me. Airlines are required to acknowledge receipt of a consumer complaint within 30 days and provide a substantive response to the complainant within 60 days. I will review the airline's response. If you need to contact me, please include your name and case number (see above). I will make every effort to reply to your message within one business day.

If our review of your complaint and the response from the company discloses a potential violation of our rules, we may pursue enforcement action. Generally, we pursue enforcement action on the basis of a number of complaints which may indicate a pattern or practice of violating our rules. Your complaint may be among those considered and may lead to appropriate enforcement action including the assessment of civil penalties. However, we have no authority to order compensation for individual complainants.

I have entered your complaint in our computerized industry monitoring system, and it will be counted among the number of complaints filed against this airline in our monthly Air Travel Consumer Report. This report allows consumers and air travel companies to compare the complaint records of individual airlines and tour operators. The data in this report also serve as a basis for rulemaking, legislation and research. Consumer information for air travelers, including the Air Travel Consumer Report and our pamphlet Fly-Rights, a Consumer's Guide to Air Travel, can be found on our website: (link) Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

XXX
Old Mar 22, 2020 | 11:03 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Govind Kamath
Originally Posted by Govind Kamath
We got 5 tickets in the March 2020 timeframe using award travel.
Because of the Corona virus, the event in May was cancelled.

I cancelled the tickets on-line and got the $5 booking fee back and the award miles credited to the account.
I later on found that they charged a restocking fee to refund the miles back to the account of $125 for each passenger !
That is $725 for the whole family.

I tried calling customer service and they connected me to someone else that said that they cannot refund the restocking fee.

Have you heard of the above and the airline refusing to refund and honor the no cancellation fee during the Corona Virus period ?
Who can I file a complaint with ? I want o dispute the charges and make aware of the above to other customers.
"restocking fees" / "mileage redeposit fees" are standard in the airline industry for voluntary award ticket cancellations.

What airlines are doing is waiving "change fees" but not "voluntary cancellation {award redeposit} fees {/ cash ticket refunds}"
You can try to do a credit card dispute but you agreed to the redeposit fee at purchase for voluntary cancellations - so card credit dispute will not likely work.

You can file a DOT compliant, but again, the airline followed its published rules.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 22, 2020 at 12:26 pm Reason: clarification
Old Mar 22, 2020 | 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Govind Kamath
...I later on found that they charged a restocking fee to refund the miles back to the account of $125 for each passenger !
That is $725 for the whole family....

Unfortunately yes - click on fees to change awards -
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

The flights are still scheduled. UA might cancel the flights down the road, at which time there would have been no redeposit or change fee.

Best to understand exactly what is covered by current ticket change waiver and the fees/charges applicable outside the waiver parameters.
Old Mar 22, 2020 | 12:04 pm

Programs: united
Welcome to FT!, Govind Kamath

"restocking fees" / "mileage redeposit fees" are standard in the airline industry for voluntary award ticket cancellations.

What airlines are doing is waiving "change fees" but not "voluntary cancellation fees"

You can try to do a credit card dispute but you agreed to the redeposit fee at purchase for voluntary cancellations - so card credit dispute will not likely work.

You can file a DOT compliant, but again, the airline followed its published rules.
And to be clear (and I know our moderator didn't intend otherwise), this narrower waiver is only for awards.

United IS waiving change fees on voluntary cancellations of
paid flights.

Originally Posted by seawolf
FYI - AA has suspended "cancel by departure or no value" provisions for all tickets for travel till end of March. UA should just do the same if they haven't done so already.
A United agent informed me they have.

clarify, if ticket is purchased with credit card, then the passenger will unlikely suffer a loss for the amount paid on the credit card. The Acquiring bank that the airline uses to handle credit card transaction holds a reserve of airline ticket sales for chargebacks. If this reserve is exhausted for whatever reason, the Acquiring bank is liable for all valid chargebacks. The Acquiring bank then becomes a creditor in airline bankruptcy proceedings.
​​​​​​
So what you are saying is that credit card issuers are going to pretend nothing is going on in the airline industry and make themselves bankruptcy creditors? No way is that happening.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 22, 2020 at 12:15 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 22, 2020 | 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

United IS waiving change fees on voluntary cancellations of
paid flights.
They are waiving change fees on all voluntary cancellations. They are not waiving redeposit/refund fees on any cancellations, including ones forced by UA. There are some paid tickets that are refundable with a fee -- mostly (entirely?) international fares. I have one for travel late in May. If I were to call up and ask for a refund, I do not expect the fee to be waived.

The key point is that cancellation and refund aren't the same thing. OP could have cancelled the ticket and left the miles on the reservation for use later, and there would have been no fee. Unfortunately, nobody told the OP that.
Old Mar 22, 2020 | 12:19 pm
15 Years on Site

And to be clear (and I know our moderator didn't intend otherwise), this narrower waiver is only for awards....

What narrower waiver?

United IS waiving change fees on voluntary cancellations of paid flights.
As stated
What airlines are doing is waiving "change fees" but not "voluntary cancellation fees"....
Redeposit / refunds are effectively the same concept and neither fee has not been formally waived for voluntary cancellations.
Will clarify the OP but the point was clear,
Old Mar 22, 2020 | 12:23 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Why doesn't United Airlines issue e-gift cards as a compromise between cash refunds and inflexible travel credits ? gift cards are transferrable, combinable, don't expire, and return residual value if used for a flight of lower value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.