Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: limey1K
2024 GS Qualification spreadsheet and new easy complete Form!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please enter as much data as you have available for prior years too.

Option #2 is an easy to complete Form!!: https://forms.gle/kiy5m2f5cNCkAtEe9

Print Wikipost

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2024 | 9:46 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
based on the posts upthread, it seems pretty well established that the corporate discount is an automatic excluder, or at least nearly automatic excluder. I know some people have thought CPM matters in the past, but there has been no anecdotal correlation, like there was with total united metal spend. we keep throwing CPM out there, but it seems the weakest data point we have so far.
Is there any evidence that the corporate GS freebie nominations went away as part of corp deals? Maybe GS involves getting to the travel manager that holds those in the company.
Old Feb 6, 2024 | 9:48 pm
50 Countries Visited3M100 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by djmp
Is there any evidence that the corporate GS freebie nominations went away as part of corp deals? Maybe GS involves getting to the travel manager that holds those in the company.
substantial amount upthread, yep. Don’t recall seeing anyone who approached their corporate travel manager asking, however…
Old Feb 6, 2024 | 10:38 pm
40 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by djmp
Is there any evidence that corporate GS freebie nominations even exist? Given that United jealously guards and controls its formula for handing out GS invites, do they really just hand out blank invitation cards for other companies to hand out to whomever they want?
Old Feb 6, 2024 | 10:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Rock214
Is there any evidence that corporate GS freebie nominations even exist? Given that United jealously guards and controls its formula for handing out GS invites, do they really just hand out blank invitation cards for other companies to hand out to whomever they want?
Can confirm as recently as 2021 yep.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2024 | 11:03 pm
40 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

It would be interesting to know if those went the way of the dodo as well.
Old Feb 6, 2024 | 11:05 pm
10 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, QR Gold, DL Gold
Yes, without any doubt.
Old Feb 6, 2024 | 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited5M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by jmn659
Now that the dust has settled, I'm thinking about why this happened. I understand the corporate spend thing- United has just said no more double dipping for GS status. But why irritate a huge swath of good customers tgat didn't make gs that are spending their own money? Like many, I'm a decade plus GSer that got dumped to 1k this year. I spent pretty much the same as the last 13 years, so I was surprised. Got the challenge, will make it back in. But why did United do this? After thinking it over, I think United is doing this in preparation for 1k carnage next year. They can't very well up the 1k reqs if they are handing out GS for only slightly more spend. They are pushing us all up the dollars spent ladder and we are being pushed up in preparation for a massive 1k jump next year. There are way too many 1k, check the gate lice- I can say that because as of Feb 1, I'm another louse. Been wrong before, but I say the 1k spend is 32k+ next year and gs is achieved at 60-70k+. You think the whining is bad now.....
I agree. I sense that there will be a major change to the top tier of the MP program. It will likely be announced in May. I bet they’ll segment the 1k program by spend.
Old Feb 6, 2024 | 11:40 pm
10 Countries Visited2M80 Nights10 Years on Site

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I agree. I sense that there will be a major change to the top tier of the MP program. It will likely be announced in May. I bet they’ll segment the 1k program by spend.
All the more reason to get to lifetime 1K before they gut or disband that avenue to 1K.
st530 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024 | 12:12 am
10 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited5M15 Years on Site

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by United747
Yes, without any doubt.
For sure, I can also confirm. I don't believe it is a large number overall but that is my personal view and not fact-based.

I remember people on FT complaining about this in prior years when they learned that GS was given gratis to high level execs who rarely flew on UA. And I was thinking that is exactly who you want to get complementary GS status, those who are not likely to consume any benefits. They don't compete with other GS for upgrade space and don't make the program more expensive to UA. Yet some people here still complained.
SPN Lifer and United747 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024 | 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
All the more reason to get to lifetime 1K before they gut or disband that avenue to 1K.
True, though GS should be the real target. I predict that lifetime 1k won’t be worth much. If they tier or segment the levels between today’s 1k and them he demoted GSers, traditional (24k PQPs and lifetime 1k) will be at the bottom of that pile.
Old Feb 7, 2024 | 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jmn659
Now that the dust has settled, I'm thinking about why this happened. I understand the corporate spend thing- United has just said no more double dipping for GS status. But why irritate a huge swath of good customers tgat didn't make gs that are spending their own money? Like many, I'm a decade plus GSer that got dumped to 1k this year. I spent pretty much the same as the last 13 years, so I was surprised. Got the challenge, will make it back in. But why did United do this? After thinking it over, I think United is doing this in preparation for 1k carnage next year. They can't very well up the 1k reqs if they are handing out GS for only slightly more spend. They are pushing us all up the dollars spent ladder and we are being pushed up in preparation for a massive 1k jump next year. There are way too many 1k, check the gate lice- I can say that because as of Feb 1, I'm another louse. Been wrong before, but I say the 1k spend is 32k+ next year and gs is achieved at 60-70k+. You think the whining is bad now.....
Mostly agree with you, and I will be shocked if they don’t push up the requirements next year for one K. Entirely possible they are priming the pump with GS to be able to do that next year since they didn’t follow Delta this year.

however, I don’t think the whining will be as bad as you think. The reason Delta got impacted so badly is that there are probably hundreds of thousands of credit card holders who were impacted by the club policy. The number of 1K members will be impacted, of course, is significantly less. remember, to some degree FT and similar forums are echo chambers
Thinking about this, and not sure that drastic of a change is coming for 1k. If they are using this year as "prep" to dramatically increase spend, why would they give returning 1k another starting bonus? We all just had 1,250 PQPs deposited into our accounts on Feb 1.
uanj and AugustusM like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024 | 9:27 am

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I would bet against that. With four published tiers (on top of general member!) plus GS, it's already a highly stratified program. I can't imagine adding more divisions within that.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024 | 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would bet against that. With four published tiers (on top of general member!) plus GS, it's already a highly stratified program. I can't imagine adding more divisions within that.
Time will tell, but my spidey sense is that Winter is Coming: I’m getting ready.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024 | 10:25 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Actually I do -- it seems like a sucker bet to me and Kirby is milking it... I think UA has raised the bar but is tempting the past GS crew to keep their perceived benefits... As someone that has suffered through Kirby once before that isn't how it works with him.... The only thing I could see changing this would be is UA has a horrible first half of the year -- and people start to question their strategy....

Honestly -- if 1K could upgrade award tickets I wouldn't even consider spending $18k for GS -- but since we travel back and forth so much between NYC and TYO it's worth a thought... I realize we are an unusual case -- for once we are the 1% that it might make sense.... I spent $25k last year on personal travel on UA back and forth as a GS -- seems like a no brainer to me...
agree, the only benefit for me of GS is the upgrading awards tickets for the family. as of now, i have $8k on united during my 120 day window, if another work trip comes up that will be another $6k, in which case spending $4k more to be able to upgrade the family on miles tickets is a no brainer. We just booked a hawaii vacation, and i told the family, no chance of upgrades for you, sorry!
Old Feb 11, 2024 | 6:40 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Speaking from a Fortune 100 company, Bay Area based, with a significant corporate contract with United, yes corporate GS nominations do exist, but the number of corporate GS nominations given has dropped by a significant percentage, even as total corporate spend on united has increased over the last few years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.