Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2024 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2024, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by markedcw
Being UX there was no pre-order, choice, or description. Simply, “Do you want breakfast?” after the initial round of drinks. Appears to be the same Yogurt Granola Bowl recently shown in mainline pre-order options. As an egg-averse pescatarian, I found the entree fine. Significantly better than the cold cereal on UX prior to the pandemic. Yogurt wasn’t overwhelming sweet so it must have been plain given the large amount of honey holding the pumpkin-seed granola and berries in place. Fresh fruit bowl was also welcome. But the croissant-shaped roll with strawberry jam, cinnamon streusel biscotti, and banana-walnut breakfast cookie were just too much sugar load. I wish I’d limited myself to just the roll with butter and taken the packaged cookies for later.

First-class FA was perfunctory at best. No PDB despite a nearly 1-hour gate hold thanks to high winds that reduced SFO operations to a single runway for both arrivals and departures. It was particularly irritating given the captain pointed out the seatbelt sign would be off when announcing the hold. No hot towels. And an hour prior to landing when I asked for another black coffee, I got an eye roll and reply that she’d just thrown it out so I’d have to wait while another pot brewed.

Can anyone explain why a breakfast tray got a wine glass yet cold beverages were served in the hefty plastic tumblers used for Polaris PDB?

I've had OJ in them in the past
Old Feb 6, 2024, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being UX there was no pre-order, choice, or description. Simply, “Do you want breakfast?” after the initial round of drinks. Appears to be the same Yogurt Granola Bowl recently shown in mainline pre-order options. As an egg-averse pescatarian, I found the entree fine. Significantly better than the cold cereal on UX prior to the pandemic. Yogurt wasn’t overwhelming sweet so it must have been plain given the large amount of honey holding the pumpkin-seed granola and berries in place. Fresh fruit bowl was also welcome. But the croissant-shaped roll with strawberry jam, cinnamon streusel biscotti, and banana-walnut breakfast cookie were just too much sugar load. I wish I’d limited myself to just the roll with butter and taken the packaged cookies for later.

First-class FA was perfunctory at best. No PDB despite a nearly 1-hour gate hold thanks to high winds that reduced SFO operations to a single runway for both arrivals and departures. It was particularly irritating given the captain pointed out the seatbelt sign would be off when announcing the hold. No hot towels. And an hour prior to landing when I asked for another black coffee, I got an eye roll and reply that she’d just thrown it out so I’d have to wait while another pot brewed.

Can anyone explain why a breakfast tray got a wine glass yet cold beverages were served in the hefty plastic tumblers used for Polaris PDB?

img
Because you had a don't-care crew. =/
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:15 pm

Today MKE>IAH operated by SkyWest.
  • Grapes
  • Three cheeses prepackaged with crackers and dried cranberries
  • Orzo salad (did not eat)
  • Pie in the sky
The flight attendant was very nice and proactive. She went around the cabin at least three times for refills.

The food was pretty pathetic overall.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
2/8 - lax-hnl - 772hd

This was the so-called pepper jack frittata. I believe the cheese "sauce" (orange colored glop would be more accurate) was supposed to go on the eggs, not the potatoes. Didn't matter. Nothing had much flavor, everything was dry and chewy. It was like they took a sawdust derivative and formed it into different shapes and colors.

Much worse than anything I've been served for breakfast in AA or AS F the past few years. Looking forward to Haagen Daz sundae on AA return.
chavala, zeer0 and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by markedcw (Post # 180)
02/04 | SFO–SAT | 08:50 dep | Skywest E175

Being UX there was no pre-order, choice, or description. . . . Appears to be the same Yogurt Granola Bowl recently shown in mainline pre-order options.
What a great way to start the day!
Old Feb 10, 2024, 12:01 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by Kacee

This was the so-called pepper jack frittata. I believe the cheese "sauce" (orange colored glop would be more accurate) was supposed to go on the eggs, not the potatoes. Didn't matter. Nothing had much flavor, everything was dry and chewy. It was like they took a sawdust derivative and formed it into different shapes and colors.

Much worse than anything I've been served for breakfast in AA or AS F the past few years. Looking forward to Haagen Daz sundae on AA return.
Oh my. I had to stare at that photo for an entire minute before I realized that the unattractive brown blob must have been a sausage .... my sympathies!
choch345, tcdtcd, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 12:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Silver

That is where they usually serve your mimosa if you order one.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:54 am

Programs: United Platinum
HNL-SFO Redeye

Any hints on what to expect for the HNL-SFO redeye? United says “dinner” but doesn’t allow us to pre-order a meal.

We have a 3-4 hour layover at HNL so can eat in the airport if needed. This is the third leg of a long itinerary so our sense of time of day will be wonky and we don’t want to be hungry.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:17 am

2/8 ORD-HNL

Amenity kits: Not much to them, but the bags are nice and I will definitely repurpose mine

Eggwhite Bites. I didn't find these very appetizing. They had little flavor except for a vague sweetness - last time I had egg bites on United they were fairly savory. The croissant was warm enough to melt the butter cube, which was nice

​​​​​​

Pre Arrival meal: Teriyaki burger
This was good. The bun was toasted, held up well structurally, and was not soggy at all. I didn't detect any teriyaki flavor besides maybe some brown sugar in the patty. No matter, United's fine selection of condiments did the trick!

It was a pleasant flight. Smooth departure from ORD and we arrived in Honolulu an HOUR early 😎

Last edited by mogi67; Feb 10, 2024 at 9:27 am
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Dinner HNL-EWR w/ Kona Brewing Big Wave Golden Ale. It was OK, but cheesecake and beer were the stars of the tray.

Service was rock-bottom. Woke up thirsty about 6 hours into flight and went up to galley. No one there. Went back to coach to get something. Didn’t confirm my meal, didn’t offer water or refills. Probably the most un-“service is our passion” crew I’ve ever run into.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:13 am

Enchiladas yesterday, EWR-STI. Reasonably tasty, if you keep in mind what they are: basically, a TV dinner. I’m on an airplane, I don’t expect restaurant-quality food even in business class. This tasted decent and filled me up. The accompanying salad was fresh, roll was warm, and I agree with others, that blueberry cheesecakey dessert is delicious. Also, I had a couple old-fashioneds, but that’s more relevant to another thread.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:07 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee

I gave this dish a try last week. Agree - one of the poorer breakfast options available. Cheese also surprised me... yikes.

This was EWR-LAX "polaris" 787

mogi67 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:09 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
SNA-EWR
Brisket.

Not bad, not great. Looks worse than it was.

Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mogi67
The croissant was warm enough to melt the butter cube, which was nice
At least they took the croissant out of the plastic bag for you.

There's nothing that says "we don't care" like bread served in plastic.
CJ99, tcdtcd, Repooc17 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
IAH-LAX 13 Feb 630 pm 739ER seat 3B

PDB of water or bubbly.

I pre-ordered the cheese plate for the first time. It’s worthy of the good reviews, although the ramekin of almonds seems like overkill on top of the ramekin of mixed nuts. And the blueberry custard pie dessert seems to be shrinking before our eyes (today’s slice was definitely bordering on sliver territory).

Special shout-out to the crew. Probably the best I can remember on a domestic flight. I was probably asked 7-8 times over 2.5 hours if I wanted anything else. That’s on top of re-fills being done proactively during meal service. And the purser was a delight dealing with the unaccompanied minor sitting next to me.

Then at the end of the flight the second FA serving F made an announcement to all the F passengers, thanking us for our business and saying we were their favorite cabin of the day. What a difference it makes to have a crew who loves their job.

(Oh and to top it off, during de-planing the purser thanked me again by name and also thanked me for being GS.)

wrp96 and tstauck like this.

Last edited by st530; Feb 15, 2024 at 10:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.