Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2024 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2024, 11:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; UA Gold; Marriott Gold; Accor Gold;
I have a pet peeve with regard to the terminology of champagne, sparking wine, prosecco, etc. I always laugh to myself when people call it champagne (to make it sound upscale, OR they may just not know the difference), and what is actually in the glass is sparkling wine or prosecco.
Old Aug 20, 2024, 2:42 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
8/17/24
UA2147 TPA-EWR
PDB Beverage: Sparkling wine or water
(Pre-ordered) option: Southwest Tortilla Scramble
Verdict/comments: Most of the F cabin had preordered, based on what I heard from the FA. My neighbor pre-ordered the same dish. Overall, I was fairly happy with my choice. Some type of sauce on the side that could have been poured over before eating would have made it better. The croissant/roll thing was far better than it looks (it looks like a squashed hamburger bun).

Old Aug 20, 2024, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by SS255
And is 3 cucumbers and 2 cherry tomatoes per salad the new standard?
Surprisingly, it has been quite consistent that the salad has 3 slices of cucumber and two cherry tomatoes. At least on my most recent half dozen or so flights in domestic F.

SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by GourmetFlyer; Aug 20, 2024 at 10:00 pm
Old Aug 21, 2024, 6:46 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
IAH-MIA 20 Aug 617 pm 738 seat 1A (CPU!)

PDB of water or Gambino Prosecco.

Nuts and drink before main.

Booked too late to pre-order but on-board choices were Cobb salad, chicken pizzaiola (sp?) or tortellini. I chose the tortellini. Wasn’t very hungry as I had dined at the PL but the tortellini was a winner with a very tasty bed of spinach. Trivial gripe is that if one wanted to focus on the spinach, it was hard to do so as most of it was stuck to the tortellini.

Great energetic crew.

airkapper likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2024, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by mfirst
Took the OGG-DEN red-eye last night upfront (SDU for $600).....
dinner choices:
Pineapple teriyaki chicken vs Pineapple fried rice

... I asked the FA, who was very friendly and agreed with me - "what happens if you dont like pineapple"
(I know a crazy question coming from OGG)
My mother is allergic to pineapple (discovered while standing in the middle of a pineapple field on Maui) so she'd be mealless, but from your description that doesn't necessarily sound like a bad thing.
Old Aug 21, 2024, 8:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; UA Gold; Marriott Gold; Accor Gold;
Originally Posted by st530
PDB of water or Gambino Prosecco.

Nuts and drink before main.

Booked too late to pre-order but on-board choices were Cobb salad, chicken pizzaiola (sp?) or tortellini. I chose the tortellini. Wasn’t very hungry as I had dined at the PL but the tortellini was a winner with a very tasty bed of spinach. Trivial gripe is that if one wanted to focus on the spinach, it was hard to do so as most of it was stuck to the tortellini.

Great energetic crew.

I can second the tortellini - Had this last night from ORD - IAH. Better than the burger I had a few days ago.
SPN Lifer and st530 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2024, 2:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Or just not eat it?
Originally Posted by st530
Not a vegan/vegetarian myself, but I'm told this option isn't appealing for those who don't want to risk UA's often water-y sausage juice sloshing around the dish onto the vegetarian portion.
Also, for people who are vegetarian for religious reasons, the meat cannot be on the same plate.
SPN Lifer and st530 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2024, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by st3
8/17/24
UA2147 TPA-EWR
PDB Beverage: Sparkling wine or water
(Pre-ordered) option: Southwest Tortilla Scramble
Verdict/comments: Most of the F cabin had preordered, based on what I heard from the FA. My neighbor pre-ordered the same dish. Overall, I was fairly happy with my choice. Some type of sauce on the side that could have been poured over before eating would have made it better. The croissant/roll thing was far better than it looks (it looks like a squashed hamburger bun).

Stop at Taco Bell and grab some of their sacue packets....
Old Aug 22, 2024, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
IAH-ORD UA787 Aug 21 6:20pm departure

Pre-ordered the Cobb salad as I has a bite to eat in the Centurion Lounge before flight so wasn't super hungry. Not bad, but agree with the previous post that it would be nicer with ranch - too much blue cheese taste. Also, I don't like this new bread roll they serve and didnt eat it. Tastes like bread from a package at a low end supermarket (which sounds like something UA would serve anyway).

Old Aug 23, 2024, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by elbombo
Tastes like bread from a package at a low end supermarket (which sounds like something UA would serve anyway).
It tastes like the bread you would get from a low-end outstation catering facility someplace in Central America or the Caribbean....not to knock the outstations, but rolls clearly aren't their strong suit.

And that brings on my rant. The rolls that are on the current menus are just one of the many ways UA could improve the current food offerings with relatively little cost increase but with a tangible effort. They want to cut costs, but are more concerned with fancy trading cards that most likely will either be left in a seat pocket or at the bottom of some kids dresser. Don't get me wrong, I think the trading cards are neat and all, but I'd much rather UA put the effort and $'s into things like:
-decent salad dressing.....in lieu of the pouches that look as if they were picked up at the Piggly-Wiggly salad bar
-speaking of salads...are entree sized portions, rather than a plate with some lettuce, that much more expensive? the soup/salad combos they used to offer were a decent meal
-realizing that french fries on a plane just is not going to work.....you end up with something that tastes like frozen fries reheated in a microwave
-croissants that don't look/taste as if they've been thrown on the galley floor and run over with a cart.....seriously I don't get this
-better quality ingredients.....yes some of this falls on the caterer, but it still seems like UA puts out a meal spec that indicates "use cheapest available"
-actually look at what AA or DL are offering and set a threshold other than offering being the bottom feeder.
st530 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2024, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
MIA-IAH 22 Aug 505 pm (delayed to 728 pm) 738M seat 1B

No PDB.

Hot towel, drink of choice and nuts before main.

Missed the pre-order window but on-board choices were Cobb salad with chicken, chicken with broccoli, “I have one more cheeseburger with fries” or eggplant Parmesan. Went with the eggplant As photo shows, portion was HUGE (I managed to get through about 60% before giving up) but it was rather mushy and could have used a LOT more tomato sauce. Salad was fine and is another data point for 3 cucumber slices and 2 cherry tomatoes. Brown bread replaced the crunchy white roll. Prefer the white roll. Not a fan of the cheesecake dessert.

Old Aug 23, 2024, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by qukslvr619 (Post # 790)
And that brings on my rant. The rolls that are on the current menus are just one of the many ways UA could improve the current food offerings with relatively little cost increase but with a tangible effort. . . .

-croissants that don't look/taste as if they've been thrown on the galley floor and run over with a cart.....seriously I don't get this
The croissants are delivered in a large plastic bag that must be stuffed into a confined galley space for takeoff.

This does not affect their taste.

The "smashed croissants" are one of the more distinctive and appreciated aspects of the Friendly Skies menu.
bluedemon211 and hhdl like this.
Old Aug 23, 2024, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The croissants are delivered in a large plastic bag that must be stuffed into a confined galley space for takeoff.

The "smashed croissants" are one of the more distinctive and appreciated aspects of the Friendly Skies menu.
Yet, DL has the croissants plated on the try from the cater, they care fresh and warm.
Old Aug 23, 2024, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Flying SMF-DEN in F next Friday. When I made the reservation, many months ago, it showed breakfast in F class. Now it's showing just a snack. Great Circle Mapper shows this trip is 909 miles. Any idea why hot meals have been dropped on this route?
Old Aug 23, 2024, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer

I find that I need to use copious amounts of strawberry preserve to make them palatable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.