Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2024 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2024, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Vtp10
Pre-ordered this for my flight to DFW tomorrow with Taco Bell Fire sauce packets ready to go lol… tried the tortilla scramble for the the first time a few weeks ago on EWR-SJD, which had no preorder for some reason, but ended up being satisfied with the option when served; was quite tasty/spicy by itself, the fire sauce will be surely add an additional kick to the dish
True the new Avocado Verde sauce, it's excellent
Old Aug 30, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
DINNER, UA787, August 28 IAH-ORD 6.20pm departure

I pre-ordered the tortellini for this flight but apparently it wasn't loaded so inboard choices were the chicken pizzaiola, salad or mushroom ravioli which I've never seen on the menu before. I went with the ravioli to give it a try and it wasn't bad. The sauce was a bit watery but lots of flavor in it. Would order again.

Old Aug 30, 2024, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
ORD-MCO 8/29. Breakfast.

I preordered the southwest scramble. Wife preordered the granola and yogurt.

I thought the scramble was excellent and one of the best meals I’ve had on United since the original Polaris Thai chicken curry. Concur with others on the spice level. It’s got some kick!

Wife was very pleased with the granola plus yogurt. I’d probably order that if the southwest scramble is not on the menu.
choch345 and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Aug 30, 2024, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
"Houston Signature Dish" pre-order option for a IAH-IAD flight next week. New option? Any reviews? I don't remember seeing this previously.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 30, 2024, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
"Houston Signature Dish" pre-order option for a IAH-IAD flight next week. New option? Any reviews? I don't remember seeing this previously.

-FlyerBeek
Houston signature dish?
Does it have oil in it or what??
I’ve never heard of any famous cuisine out of Houston!
Austin/DFW/San Antonio, yes!
hhdl likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2024, 6:41 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Houston signature dish?
Uh, heard about Tex-Mex? I appreciate the oil reference though
SPN Lifer and st530 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2024, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Houston signature dish?
Whatever “famous” cuisine you’re thinking of from Austin/DFW/San Antonio, there’s probably a better version in Houston.

But UA’s menu writers strike again, using a semi-obscure French term (“velouté” though they left off l’accent aigu) to describe what clearly seems to be a Tex-Mex-inspired dish.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and VRFast like this.
Old Aug 30, 2024, 7:30 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist, Moderator: United Airlines MlleagePlus

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah, that photo looks like a poor imitation of Tex-Mex and I was wondering "don't they mean queso?"
Old Aug 30, 2024, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Sorry to ruffle Houston feathers!
I think of Dallas and Austin for BBQ, and San Antonio for TexMex.
i think of Houston for….bad traffic, no zoning, and strip malls.
Am I wrong?

Otherwise can someone name me a “Houston Signature Dish” as UA does on the menu? I can’t think of one!
hhdl likes this.

Last edited by tcdtcd; Aug 30, 2024 at 10:11 pm
Old Aug 30, 2024, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by elbombo
Pre-ordered the Cobb salad as I has a bite to eat in the Centurion Lounge before flight so wasn't super hungry. Not bad, but agree with the previous post that it would be nicer with ranch - too much blue cheese taste. Also, I don't like this new bread roll they serve and didnt eat it. Tastes like bread from a package at a low end supermarket (which sounds like something UA would serve anyway).

Interesting to see you got a crappy roll. I had that same salad out of IAD two days ago and there was focaccia instead of the roll. Maybe your complaint has been heard? 😉

choch345 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2024, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Longboater
Only other option I would consider is the tortellini as the chicken pizzaiola has gotten overall bad reviews and I am not interested in any of the cold options. Anyone recommend the tortellini over the burger?
Just had the tortellini, and thought it was decent for UA domestic standards. Definitely liked it better than the chicken pizzaiola. Would be a toss up for me, burger or tortellini, depending on mood.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2024, 3:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
The Houston signature dish is new and part of improvement efforts with menu planning. You'll be seeing specific offerings from specific hubs rolling out in September.
Old Aug 31, 2024, 7:26 am

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Snack SEA SFO

Is the snack on a 2 hour flight snack basket or soemthing else
Old Aug 31, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, BA SILVER, IHG DIAMOND AMBASSADOR, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Crossing my fingers for an upgrade next week, I'm quite curious about the "Houston Signature Dish". Although I'm sure they could've come up with a more original name...

Have any other hubs launched similar concepts? I'm quite curious as to what "Newark's signature dish" would entail

Originally Posted by COEWR2587
Is the snack on a 2 hour flight snack basket or soemthing else
​​​​​​​In theory it should be a snack basket.

Last edited by itripreport; Aug 31, 2024 at 8:24 am
Old Aug 31, 2024, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Otherwise can someone name me a “Houston Signature Dish” as UA does on the menu? I can’t think of one!
As subsequent posts have previewed, it appears the term "Houston Signature Dish" does not refer to some famous dish for which Houston is distinctly known (that said, the dish does appear to be Tex-Mex-inspired, a cuisine for which Houston is well known--it has a larger raw population of Mexican descent than San Antonio, and has a restaurant called Ninfa's in the historic Mexican-American neighborhood which claims, apocryphally or not, to be the birthplace of the fajita), but rather a "signature" offering ex that hub that has some local culinary connection. Will be interesting to see what comes ex-ORD -- perhaps a hot dog with an obscure topping that no self-respecting Chicagoan would ever put on one?
wrp96, hhdl and VRFast like this.

Last edited by st530; Aug 31, 2024 at 8:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.