Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts on UA from AS 737MAX9 incident / Travel Waiver (FAA grounding of MAX9s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impacts on UA from AS 737MAX9 incident / Travel Waiver (FAA grounding of MAX9s)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Checking flight aware bronze by aircraft type no United 739 max are in the air now.
It appears the FAA is wanting more info on the process the airlines are doing to check for the issue. If I understand, the airlines were using the C-level check as the way to validate the integrity of that approach but the FAA wants to airlines to submit a justification. So for now no aircraft have been release by the FAA. WIP

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 7, 2024 at 12:19 am
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Looks like a travel waiver has been published covering travel on 7M9's through Monday. I'd be impressed if their system is able to recognize eligible itineraries based solely on aircraft, or if it may require manual handling.

Would be pretty odd for a 3 month old frame to experience a fatigue failure, but have it never happen it in the hundreds of other significantly older frames and more cycles that have this same implementation. This plug design wasn't new with the max. More likely to be a manufacturing defect. But I guess we'll let the investigation figure out the probable causes.
Since the waiver is only for a few days, does that mean they expect to have all 7M9 inspections finished and by the 8th and cleared with FAA to be back in the air on the 9th?
Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It appears the FAA is wanting more info on the process the airlines are doing to check for the issue. If I understand, the airlines were using the C-level check as the way to validate the integrity of that approach but the FAA wants to airlines to submit a justification. So for now no aircraft have been release by the FAA. WIP
Well doesn't sound like a quick return to the air at this point. FAA is under great pressure to not look like a Boeing/industry lackey.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 2:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
It would be nice to get a technical idea on how this plug is installed/attached/secured.
Whether that is something that is regularly checked, and/or is properly designed would be helpful at this point.

An actual door is tried and tested millions of times on thousands of aircraft.
A plug, however, in this context is obviously something only 'temporary' as it can be reverted to a door at any time in the lifespan of the frame.

I am now strongly suspecting a weak/low-cost/barely adequate design coupled with potentially poor implementation on this particular AC craft.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The fact that this precise design has been in service on hundreds of frames for 15+ years and millions of flight-hours suggests to me that this is an isolated circumstance. I suspect eventually facts will emerge that human error (not speculating on whose) is a dispositive issue.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 4:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
The fact that this precise design has been in service on hundreds of frames for 15+ years and millions of flight-hours suggests to me that this is an isolated circumstance. I suspect eventually facts will emerge that human error (not speculating on whose) is a dispositive issue.
What is the old saying? Once an accident, twice an occurrence, three times a pattern?

DISCLAIMER: I don't know the 1st thing about airplane construction or safety. I suspect nothing about this, I have no idea!
seanp7 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by narvik
It would be nice to get a technical idea on how this plug is installed/attached/secured.
Whether that is something that is regularly checked, and/or is properly designed would be helpful at this point.

An actual door is tried and tested millions of times on thousands of aircraft.
A plug, however, in this context is obviously something only 'temporary' as it can be reverted to a door at any time in the lifespan of the frame.

I am now strongly suspecting a weak/low-cost/barely adequate design coupled with potentially poor implementation on this particular AC craft.

Old Jan 7, 2024, 5:58 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
I've not seen anything from Boeing or elsewhere that definitively states the 739 and MAX 9 have identical plugs. Sure, they look the same and have identical function but does that mean they are mechanically the same? We know from the Chris Brady video that they aren't electrically the same as far as cockpit systems are concerned.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I've not seen anything from Boeing or elsewhere that definitively states the 739 and MAX 9 have identical plugs. Sure, they look the same and have identical function but does that mean they are mechanically the same? We know from the Chris Brady video that they aren't electrically the same as far as cockpit systems are concerned.
The physical plug design is the same. Same attachment points, bolts, stops, etc. The electronic logic and annunciators are different in the MAX, since it could be incorporated into a simplified design from the outset, but the mechanics of it (to the extent we can call it that) are identical.

If the NTSB and FAA suspect a design defect, the possibility of which I think is extraordinarily remote, we'd also see a fix carried over to the 739ER too. Right now the emphasis (correctly, IMO) is limited to the more recent production run in the MAX 9 and conditions related to the specific frame.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by meijiem
Since the waiver is only for a few days, does that mean they expect to have all 7M9 inspections finished and by the 8th and cleared with FAA to be back in the air on the 9th?
Having no insight to their actual maintenance capabilities and the inspection requirements - I'd say it's unlikely, given it has gone from only half the fleet needs to be checked, others had recent enough inspections (at both UA and AS) back to pulling everything awaiting clarification from the FAA on the exact inspection specifications. The waiver is likely something interim to get the immediate impact through this weekend/Monday covered until they are fully able to scope the impact and timeline
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:10 am

Programs: BA GfL
We were scheduled to be on UA1297 MSY-IAH this morning, which was cancelled; we got re-booked to UA1699 this afternoon, which is also supposed to use a 737-900 Max, but is not (yet) cancelled. Maybe they inspected it already? I am holding out hope that our vacation in Mexico does not get any more delayed.

Even if we do fly out this afternoon, we’ve lost 7.5 hours of our trip. UA gave us each $15 meal vouchers for this, but would I be successful trying to extract any more compensation out of them?
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by travelmad478
We were scheduled to be on UA1297 MSY-IAH this morning, which was cancelled; we got re-booked to UA1699 this afternoon, which is also supposed to use a 737-900 Max, but is not (yet) cancelled. Maybe they inspected it already? I am holding out hope that our vacation in Mexico does not get any more delayed.
Please let us know if it doesn't get canceled. Wouldn't surprise me if they did a swap though.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:23 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Looks like 200+ cancellations so far today, though undoubtedly some are due to weather on the East Coast and not the Max-9 grounding.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:26 am

Programs: VS Gold
I tried to change my ORDSFO flight within the confines of the waiver rules and it’s asking for $500 fare difference!
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by maxmin
I tried to change my ORDSFO flight within the confines of the waiver rules and it’s asking for $500 fare difference!
I called to get flight changed for 1/9 because it showed the fare difference online (DEN/KOA from connection in SFO to nonstop). They changed it without the fare difference even with the date just outside the waiver.
maxmin and Warriorconcept like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.