Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts on UA from AS 737MAX9 incident / Travel Waiver (FAA grounding of MAX9s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impacts on UA from AS 737MAX9 incident / Travel Waiver (FAA grounding of MAX9s)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2024, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not required since this is not an airline caused event. Like weather. However, some carriers may handle their higher elites or those in premium cabin.
I’d be tempted to send a bill to the FAA and see what happens… If nothing else, it might feel cathartic.
wrp96 and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
It was reported some planes were inspected now they say they were not given the inspection method.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
good point. I get so tired of reading “JAL evacuation took 18 minutes” when that is simply false.
The evacuation did not take 18 minutes however the last passengers and Captain exited the aircraft 18 minutes after the aircraft stopped.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
As others said, any of these airline inspections not approved by the FAA are not going to pass muster so these planes will just sit idle until the FAA decides what mandates and good chance they'll all need to be inspected again. Never a dull moment working for an airline - not for the faint hearted.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
This is good background info.

Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:30 pm

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
Quite a strong reaction to this isolated incident.
There's hundreds of these birds flying daily with thousands and thousands of flights under their belt.
Not saying this isn't bad, nor that it shouldn't be taken seriously, but I have full confidence in United that it wouldn't fly unsafe planes and will do whatever it takes to abide by any directives that may come down the line.

I complain about United like the best of them, but I never feel unsafe flying United.
But an Alaska customer could make the same statement about Alaska: well-regarded airline, good safety protocols, the airline wouldn't knowingly put a plane in the air that wasn't structurally sound...and yet this happened.

I bet hundreds of thousands of AS passengers would have said they never feel unsafe flying Alaska either. At least prior to this incident.
moondog likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:48 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by TravellingChris
But an Alaska customer could make the same statement about Alaska: well-regarded airline, good safety protocols, the airline wouldn't knowingly put a plane in the air that wasn't structurally sound...and yet this happened.

I bet hundreds of thousands of AS passengers would have said they never feel unsafe flying Alaska either. At least prior to this incident.
except there was something wrong with this frame, re: earlier pressurization issues and taken off ETOPS routings. AS needs to explain that.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

jmw, DJ_Iceman, Jaysonb22 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:49 pm
PJ3

Programs: Mileage Plus
I was at the SAT airport Saturday ready to board my return flight to BWI via UA 2057 to IAH. While we lined up to board, the announcement was made that the flight was cancelled. We were rebooked on flights departing on Sunday after waiting in line for a long time and given hotel and meal vouchers. However I needed to arrive at my final destination in BWI by Sunday morning so I ended booking a one way Southwest airline nonstop to BWI for $464. I canceled the united return flight. How do I go about getting a refund.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by PJ3
I canceled the united return flight. How do I go about getting a refund.
united.com/refunds

Edit: to clarify - for your unused United ticket. They won't refund the cost you paid to purchase a ticket on another airline.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:57 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Could United bring back some of their recently retired A-320s to replace the 7M9 planes if the keep having all these issues? It is making it really hard to fly United now not knowing if you will be canceled. The bolt issues with the rudders need to be discussed more by United as well as that seems to be another big issue with the MAX.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:00 pm
PJ3

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
united.com/refunds

Edit: to clarify - for your unused United ticket. They won't refund the cost you paid to purchase a ticket on another airline.
Got it ! Thanks a lot
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I’d be tempted to send a bill to the FAA and see what happens… If nothing else, it might feel cathartic.
if it turns out the blame lies with Boeing, I guess Judge Judy may make Boeing pay United and us?
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:48 pm

I wonder if Max9 operators that do not utilize those exit doors will change out the plugs for actual doors. A net loss of six or 12 seats? Not sure how many rows of seats would need to come out.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beetles
I wonder if Max9 operators that do not utilize those exit doors will change out the plugs for actual doors. A net loss of six or 12 seats? Not sure how many rows of seats would need to come out.
Only the airlines that are run by internet message boards. This odd narrative that a door is somehow safer than a plug is…I don’t even know where to begin. Doors are basically plugs that are designed to be opened.
moondog, SPN Lifer, NY-FLA and 6 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.