Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impacts on UA from AS 737MAX9 incident / Travel Waiver (FAA grounding of MAX9s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impacts on UA from AS 737MAX9 incident / Travel Waiver (FAA grounding of MAX9s)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by AlohafromKOA
Planes are probably most safe flown as they were designed, with one continuous fuselage sans "plugs".
How do you propose getting on and off this continuous fuselage without the use of "plugs"?
EmailKid, NY-FLA, mtxing and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seanp7
Yes, I knew it was the optional door, I just don't want to be next to any door right now, even with the "it's perfect safe, inspections will be done in no time" comments above... ;-)
In addition to being sans IFE, my last 7M9 flight on UA a few days ago was in row 11 ABC. Which my teeny gripe was it doesn’t even have a window (just 11ABC, DEF has a window ). . I guess no window is a feature now?
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
In addition to being sans IFE, my last 7M9 flight on UA a few days ago was in row 11 ABC. Which my teeny gripe was it doesn’t even have a window (just 11ABC, DEF has a window ). . I guess no window is a feature now?
Many passenger aircraft have a row with no window, not a new feature of the 7M9
SPN Lifer and econ like this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:38 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
Yes, see Lux Flyer's post below
That is only for two days. A lot of people now want to avoid the MAX and have flights beyond these dates. It would be nice to see United allow anyone who wants to avoid the MAX to do so and change their flight without paying the fair difference beyind Jan. 8th as well.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I guess no window is a feature now?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Many passenger aircraft have a row with no window, not a new feature of the 7M9
This is why I find sites like aeroLOPA so useful.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by jonu
I actually did a little more research on this. The plug door (which is what blew out on the Alaska flight) is actually row 30 on both the MAX 9 and the 900 ER (they have the same fuselage). So my preference of 21A/F is safe!
Well not really, If the plug were to hit a control surface in the tail then it’s not going to end well for the whole plane…
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
NTSB briefing in a half hour might shed some more light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGC0z8HgrTU
She is very good at her job well spoken.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pi7473000
That is only for two days. A lot of people now want to avoid the MAX and have flights beyond these dates. It would be nice to see United allow anyone who wants to avoid the MAX to do so and change their flight without paying the fair difference beyind Jan. 8th as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually come out with a policy like that, similar to what they did when the MAX's resumed flying after MCAS was resolved. However I don't think their focus would be fleshing a policy like that out fully over the weekend with a skeleton crew of decision makers working. The goal of people working/being called in over the weekend to manage is likely to address the immediate operational impact, not make decisions and implement policy changes about how they're going to handle MAX bookings in the weeks/months to come when they don't even have a full understanding of what the timeline/impact on the fleet will be.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pi7473000
UA used to allow free changes when the MAX initially returned to service in 2021. https://simpleflying.com/united-airl...max-rebooking/

Currently, UA does offer free changes for most non-BE and non-nonchangable tickets according to their flexible booking policy. I agree that it would be nice for UA to allow free changes to get away from MAX flights for some time.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
..... I agree that it would be nice for UA to allow free changes to get away from MAX flights for some time.
The present waiver states
  • ou can reschedule your trip and we’ll waive change fees and fare differences. But, your new flight must be a United flight departing between January 6, 2024 and January 13, 2024. Tickets must be in the same cabin and between the same cities as originally booked.
  • If your new trip is after January 13, 2024, or is to a different destination, we’ll still waive any change fees but you might have to pay a fare difference depending on the flight.
  • If you cancel or don’t take your trip, you can get a full refund.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Checking flight aware bronze by aircraft type no United 739 max are in the air now.

UA used to allow free changes when the MAX initially returned to service in 2021. https://simpleflying.com/united-airl...max-rebooking/

Currently, UA does offer free changes for most non-BE and non-nonchangable tickets according to their flexible booking policy. I agree that it would be nice for UA to allow free changes to get away from MAX flights for some time.
some what of a pr issue if the planes are inspected and pass then there is no issue. I would fly on it. I thought past the covid days free changes are allowed on most airlines did this change.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 7, 2024 at 12:08 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by djmp
Well not really, If the plug were to hit a control surface in the tail then it’s not going to end well for the whole plane…
…and hope you have a super skilled captain and crew like those under the command of Captains McCormick (AA96) and Cronin (UA811) who both landed their severely damaged planes missing cargo doors in feats that could not be replicated by anyone afterwards in a simulator. Also, when doors do blow, they usually eject more than the immediate row as food for thought about seat selection and these new anxiety-inducing plug doors. Really miraculous that no one picked that window seat and that failure happened at 12,000 ft when the decompression is bad but not necessarily as catastrophic as it would be at 30,000 ft.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I thought past the covid days free changes are allowed on most airlines did this change.
OP wants to leverage this to get UA to eat the fare difference on a more palatable itinerary. Change fees have been eliminated, but fare differences, of course, have not. The logic is presumably “the experts have said that this plane is safe, but I don’t believe them, but I’m also not willing to pay anything to try to switch to a plane that I believe is safe.”
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
How do you propose getting on and off this continuous fuselage without the use of "plugs"?
By having regular doors?

The door plug isn’t unique to the MAX and as others have pointed out also on the 737-900s. Also Airbus uses door plugs on the A321s.

Just feels like the manufactures are cutting costs by having one fuselage with the door plugs to provide flexibility on different configurations.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Just feels like the manufactures are cutting costs by having one fuselage with the door plugs to provide flexibility on different configurations.
Reduced cost/complexity and also improves resale value, because airframes can move between legacy and LCC/ULCC fleets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.