Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2021 | 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited3M80 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
AC has an overall ontime performance of ~50%. Their small planes are notoriously delayed and often cancelled. (for example the evening IAD-YUL is only on time 44% of the time)
Make sure to leave lots of time between the flights at YUL. You will get zero help from AC during IRROPS.
Chiming in form the LX lounge in ZRH where I am waiting for another 5 hours after UA's maintenance cancellation this morning. Help? From UA? Hmmmm
On the contrary, when I had a delay into YYZ they had already rebooked me on the next flight to BOS and I could pick up my new BP at the transfer desk. As always, YMMV
Old Oct 28, 2021 | 6:51 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Platinum UA, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
No direct answer for you yet I have a Master's degree in Economics and cannot calculate PQP. The rule of thumb appears to be actual mileage/5 = PQP. Being online comments, someone is bound to correct me. 😀

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 28, 2021 at 11:40 am Reason: Moved to appropriate thread
Old Oct 28, 2021 | 7:41 am
30 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Markalta
No direct answer for you yet I have a Master's degree in Economics and cannot calculate PQP. The rule of thumb appears to be actual mileage/5 = PQP. Being online comments, someone is bound to correct me. 😀
It is award mileage / 5 for preferred partners, award mileage / 6 for other partners. Naturally this is subject to maximums, in first class the max is 1,500 per flight with preferred partner, 1,000 per flight with other partners. In economy/premium economy it is 750/500.

This was all part of the “simplification” of the program.

It remains base fare on United, also E+ spend, preferred seating fees (there are some other than E+), upgrade award copays and paid upgrades.
in order to “keep things simple”, a bunch of those don’t qualify for promotion spending.

Whew, I’m glad my masters is in finance and international management.
Old Oct 28, 2021 | 8:00 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Platinum UA, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
I remember when it used to just be miles and life was easier. 😎
Old Oct 28, 2021 | 11:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The member created calculator https://pqp.economiles.com/ simplifies the process, just don't use for UA operated flights unless the are BULK purchase.
Old Oct 28, 2021 | 10:50 pm

Programs: StarAlliance
Need PQPs by EOY to retain gold -- BOS2FRA better to buy from LH direct?

Boston FRA (non-stop) on United code shared to LH for ~$900 will give me 627 PQP which isn't enough.
Buying the LH direct (same airplane but LH direct) is a little cheaper, and it SEEMS like the miles are about : (3657 * 2) / 5 = 1462 PQP -- substantially better.

I can't seem to get confirmation from LH on what they will actually give me in terms of mileage (until I book/pay?), does someone know what the mileage is for BOS2FRA and if that 1462 PQP is indeed the right number?

There is some confusing talk about tickets that start with 016... If I buy directly from LH it shouldn't be a 016 ticket right?
Another limitation seems to be that the max PQP earned fro economy can be 750, but if I read it right, that is per FLIGHT, not per TICKET meaning that each leg will earn 731 PQP which shouldn't be an issue.

If those mileage numbers are correct it seems like a no-brainer to buy this through LH directly (its cheaper, and I get 2x the PQPs), but sometimes when things seem too good to be true, they actually are....

Thoughts and guidance is much appreciated,

-- MikeE

Last edited by mikee.gwu; Oct 28, 2021 at 10:56 pm
Old Oct 28, 2021 | 11:09 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mikee.gwu
. ... I can't seem to get confirmation from LH on what they will actually give me in terms of mileage (until I book/pay?), does someone know what the mileage is for BOS2FRA ...
BOS-FRA per gcmap.com is 3,670 -- the airline number will be similiar

.and if that 1462 PQP is indeed the right number? ...
A member created https://pqp.economiles.com/ a useful partner PQP calculator -- but need to know the fare class
You are missing the fare multiple and your estimate is likely too high

There is some confusing talk about tickets that start with 016... If I buy directly from LH it shouldn't be a 016 ticket right? ...
The PQP calculation is different for an LH flight on a UA ticket, but if the ticket is purchased from LH it will be 220 ticket stock, not UA ticket stock

Another limitation seems to be that the max PQP earned fro economy can be 750, but if I read it right, that is per FLIGHT, not per TICKET
correct
Old Oct 28, 2021 | 11:22 pm

Programs: StarAlliance
Thanks WineCountryUA, you're a pro's pro :-).

I hate it when reality steps in to ruin a good time, but best to know up front. That link/calculator is pretty cool.
I need to go rethink this whole thing a bit.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 29, 2021 at 12:45 am Reason: split post
Old Oct 29, 2021 | 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Buying the LH direct (same airplane but LH direct) is a little cheaper, and it SEEMS like the miles are about : (3657 * 2) / 5 = 1462 PQP -- substantially better.
As I suspect you've worked out, based upon the tone of your latest reply, most economy fare classes offer far less than 100% of the distance as their starting point.
Old Oct 30, 2021 | 11:47 am

Programs: United, Delta, American
Second set of eyes

I'm hoping a second set of eyes can tell me if this is too good to be true. I'm looking to book on Air Canada, RT from DSM to LIS in Premium Economy. I used the website and, based on the cabin type that AC showed on the flight details, this is what I'm seeing:
(Cabin) Miles Earn Bonus RDM PQP
DSM-ORD (Q) 299 75% 50% 336 45
ORD-YYZ (B) 436 125% 50% 763 109
YYZ-LIS (N) 3576 100% 50% 5364 715

The return values are the same, and add up to 1738 PQP. The fare is just under $1300. Is this one of those fortunate examples when flying on a preferred partner can rack up PQPs faster than on United steel? Or does the cabin that Air Canada is showing on their website not coincide with the fare class? I've only flown AC once before and it was through United.
Old Oct 30, 2021 | 12:11 pm
30 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by JWskiman
I'm hoping a second set of eyes can tell me if this is too good to be true. I'm looking to book on Air Canada, RT from DSM to LIS in Premium Economy. I used the website and, based on the cabin type that AC showed on the flight details, this is what I'm seeing:

The return values are the same, and add up to 1738 PQP. The fare is just under $1300. Is this one of those fortunate examples when flying on a preferred partner can rack up PQPs faster than on United steel? Or does the cabin that Air Canada is showing on their website not coincide with the fare class? I've only flown AC once before and it was through United.
Nope, you are correct it’s a sweet spot! There’s a good calculator out there that helps you with this as well. When the business class fares go on sale on AC and other star gold carriers it’s a killer deal

https://pqp.economiles.com/
Old Oct 30, 2021 | 12:12 pm
15 Years on Site

Minor issue -- you can not use the partner pqp calculator for UA operated segments, even if codeshare, those will be handled in the standard fare based method

And yes, PremEcon on AC tickets does generally yield better than fare based method
Old Oct 30, 2021 | 5:37 pm

Programs: United, Delta, American
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Minor issue -- you can not use the partner pqp calculator for UA operated segments, even if codeshare, those will be handled in the standard fare based method

And yes, PremEcon on AC tickets does generally yield better than fare based method
I thought that was the case. It's minimal anyway compared to the overall value. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old Oct 31, 2021 | 9:01 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by JWskiman

Even if the calculation is accurate, I would not label this a "sweet spot". I have seen business class tickets on AC for $1000-1200 that yield over 3,000 PQP. Doesn't happen often, but it has happened several times this year. In my opinion, that ratio (2.5-3 PQP per dollar) is much more of a "sweet spot".
Old Oct 31, 2021 | 10:21 am
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by fj1886
Even if the calculation is accurate, I would not label this a "sweet spot". I have seen business class tickets on AC for $1000-1200 that yield over 3,000 PQP. Doesn't happen often, but it has happened several times this year. In my opinion, that ratio (2.5-3 PQP per dollar) is much more of a "sweet spot".
Less likely now that AC PremEcon is no longer 200% but 150% earnings
UA mileage earning on AC (Air Canada) operated flights (P now 150%)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.