Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Better award availability with United credit cards (as well as elites)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2024, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
While it had appeared to be true, it has been unclear for some time if the improved award available for MP branded credit cards was intentional or would continue -- however in May 2017, UA started posting in award searches for credit card holders
Quote:
Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Premier® member and MileagePlus Chase Cardmember
so this appears to be intentional
Appears to apply to all present and legacy MileagePlus branded cards
Provides better available is for JN, YN, XN (FN?) BUT not IN

Previous threads
Checking for award booking - something new? noting expanded inventory for elites & CC
Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Archive: Better award availability with United credit cards (as well as elites) {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Better award availability with United credit cards (as well as elites)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K Hyatt Globalist Marriott Lifetime Plat
AFAIK only I class and not IN (usually for premier members, unsure of credit card) class can be booked via partner airlines. When you search, does the fare show up as I or IN?
Old May 23, 2022, 3:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
You're actually getting access to IN, not that it's clearly indicated.
Unlikely, not available to credit card folks, just plat and higher

Originally Posted by findark
The only special class should be IN, available to UA Plat and above.

However, does the itinerary contain one or more segments in YN, JN, or XN? Pricing in those classes could be proprietary and cause that message to show.
This is more likely

Originally Posted by wiki
Provides better available is for JN, YN, XN BUT not IN
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
It appears United is changing their display on the website for awards with "special pricing" for elites/credit card members. It now shows the original mileage crossed out with the chargeable mileage below it. It also says "Special Member Pricing" with a question mark after it vs. "Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Member".

-RM
Old Jan 12, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: Amex switch hitter
Mileageplus offers with United Credit Card

Hi. Anyone have any experience with better mileage deals being offered if one
has a United Credit Card? Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Facedoc
Hi. Anyone have any experience with better mileage deals being offered if one
has a United Credit Card? Thanks
For Economy, yes. Chase UA breand cardholders have access to "XN", which is the extra, lower cost space for elites. It cam be available when "X" normal lower cost economy award space is not available.

For premium cabin space, no there is no extra inventory for Chase MP cardholders.

Occasionally, there is a promo discount, say 10% fewer miles, not aware of any promos at the moment
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
For those of you with the Chase UA Gateway visa, do you have access to expanded award availability?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For Economy, yes. Chase UA breand cardholders have access to "XN", which is the extra, lower cost space for elites. It cam be available when "X" normal lower cost economy award space is not available.

For premium cabin space, no there is no extra inventory for Chase MP cardholders.

Occasionally, there is a promo discount, say 10% fewer miles, not aware of any promos at the moment
Do all UA Chase cards offer access to XN?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
For those of you with the Chase UA Gateway visa, do you have access to expanded award availability?
Do all UA Chase cards offer access to XN?
Not positive about this but believe the not fee cards do not have access to the expanded credit card award space (unless it has changed recently). But it would be better someone with direct experience to make a more definitive statement.

Ahould be easy to test for you have only the Gateway and no UA status. UA does note the improved access during a search.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Not positive about this but believe the not fee cards do not have access to the expanded credit card award space (unless it has changed recently). But it would be better someone with direct experience to make a more definitive statement.

Ahould be easy to test for you have only the Gateway and no UA status. UA does note the improved access during a search.
Posters on DDF have indicated otherwise with the Gateway card.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Link please? I just did a search on DDF and didn't find anything but maybe I didn't search the right keywords. Curious about this as I might then downgrade my Explorer to a Gateway. Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I have heard mixed reports so did not want to make a definitive statement. As, status or another card can provide access. folks are sometime unclear if it is the Gateway card. Also, the earlier no fee card, did not offer XN access. Hence the request for report to help pin this down.

Update

More discussion in Chase United TravelBank Card becoming non-cashback Chase MP Gateway Card 21 Sept 2020

In United Gateway Card | MileagePlus Credit Card | 20K Bonus Miles (theexplorercard.com) at one time it did state there was expanded availability in the Blackout section but that statement is now gone. However a 2021 post says they still have access to XN.

Any more recent reports?
Old May 11, 2023, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I have heard mixed reports so did not want to make a definitive statement. As, status or another card can provide access. folks are sometime unclear if it is the Gateway card. Also, the earlier no fee card, did not offer XN access. Hence the request for report to help pin this down.

Update

More discussion in Chase United TravelBank Card becoming non-cashback Chase MP Gateway Card 21 Sept 2020

In United Gateway Card | MileagePlus Credit Card | 20K Bonus Miles (theexplorercard.com) at one time it did state there was expanded availability in the Blackout section but that statement is now gone. However a 2021 post says they still have access to XN.

Any more recent reports?
I'd be interested in this too. Does the Gateway card offer access to better award availability? "Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Premier® member and MileagePlus Chase Cardmember"

if so, I'm likely to downgrade my explorer card. I recently was denied use of one of my club passes and without that benefit, the add'l benefits vs the $95 AF are slim pickings.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 12:31 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
It appears United is changing their display on the website for awards with "special pricing" for elites/credit card members. It now shows the original mileage crossed out with the chargeable mileage below it. It also says "Special Member Pricing" with a question mark after it vs. "Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Member".

(Bumping this old thread to ask a related question...)

I see this option occasionally (as in the screenshot posted above) - though the numbers in the screenshot are quaintly low compared to what I currently see (not germane to my question, but worth noting in case anybody thinks I've found some great deal).

My question is around WHEN this benefit kicks in...

I see this "special member pricing" once in a while (I'm pretty sure) because I hold a United credit card. My spouse (who does not have a United card) never sees it. It's a benefit of the card, I get that.

I have a friend who just recently got the same United card that I have. He was approved for the card, it arrived, he activated it, and is actively spending on the card. He's looking to book an award flight soon.

My friend does NOT see this "special member pricing." I assume he will once the benefit kicks in, but it hasn't yet (it's only been a couple weeks since he got the cad). We are wondering when it will kick in.
Does anyone know the timing of that? Is it triggered by a specific event?

It didn't start when he was approved for the card, when the card was activated, or when charges started to post, or when the first payment was made to the card (at my suggestion, he paid off his balance early, in hopes that might trigger the benefit...it did not).

I suppose it could kick in once he has completed the minimum spend required for the signup bonus (though I thought the benefit was tied to having the card, not necessarily completing the signup spend). Maybe it kicks in after X days/weeks/months. Or maybe united's IT has a loose connection and it won't ever kick in...

Does anyone know or recall from experience how long it takes for this card benefit to kick in or what exactly triggers it? Thanks for any insights.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:19 pm

For all of my airline cards (including this one), benefits like this have always kicked in as soon as the card was connected to my frequent flyer account. is it possible that they are not properly connected. Have they received any miles credit to their united account from their card use yet?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
For all of my airline cards (including this one), benefits like this have always kicked in as soon as the card was connected to my frequent flyer account. is it possible that they are not properly connected. Have they received any miles credit to their united account from their card use yet?
Same for me. Was basically immediate.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I would call card services and make sure it is connect to his MP#. Is his MP# on the card, it should be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.