Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA363 EWR-HNL Diverted to SFO March 29, 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA363 EWR-HNL Diverted to SFO March 29, 2024

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2024 | 9:55 am
30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: HH Silver. (Former UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I still do not see why the pilots could not drop off the passenger who needed to get off and simply get back on our way.
The regulation governing flight and duty time limitations is complex. You can see the regulation here. 14 CFR 117

There are too many variables for us to figure it out from what we know.
Old Mar 31, 2024 | 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
50 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by trebex
This may be a silly question, but the plane due to fly this route today is 32 years old. Do you feel safe on such an old plane?
The USAF flies B-52s, KC-135s and various other fleets that are at or near 60 years old. I would have no problem flying on any UA plane, no matter how old.
SPN Lifer, wxguy, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024 | 11:12 am
50 Countries Visited20 Nights3M10 Years on Site

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by halls120
The USAF flies B-52s, KC-135s and various other fleets that are at or near 60 years old. I would have no problem flying on any UA plane, no matter how old.
+1 - I remember when I first started really flying I would always look at the date plate as I was boarding and most of the times the plane (usually a DC9, 727, MD80) I was flying that was older than I was at the time. Somehow I always found that reassuring- but at my age now it would not be...
SPN Lifer and Dyce like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024 | 11:13 am

EWR-HNL was diverted yesterday to SFO. Looks like it was over northern CA and then turned back a bit to land at SFO. Anyone on that flight or know the reason? UA app shows it was scheduled to continue on from SFO to HNL but that part was cancelled.
yes I was on this flight! First the flight was delayed by an hour due to a fuel pressure light not working. Maintenance came on and fixed it supposedly. Then when we were about 4/5 hours away from Hawaii one of the fuel pumps went out and we had to divert our flight to land in San Francisco. We then switched flights to a 4 pm flight UA3023
cesco.g and Repooc17 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024 | 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
However, I still do not see why the pilots could not drop off the passenger who needed to get off and simply get back on our way.
Needed a new dispatch and undoubtedly more gas.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024 | 11:49 am
10 Countries Visited

This may be a silly question, but the plane due to fly this route today is 32 years old. Do you feel safe on such an old plane?
Yes
Interesting fleet swap from 764 to 763 today (764 fleet isn't as old).
Old Mar 31, 2024 | 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited2M15 Years on Site

Location: where two-tier, free-gear, no beer, no idea, Sir Keir lives...
Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I'd rather fly on any one of them than any plane with "MAX" in the name.
Old Mar 31, 2024 | 12:16 pm
40 Countries Visited1M100 Nights10 Years on Site

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by mduell
There's avherald.com for that.
So no talking about the multiple United mechanical issues on Flyertalk? Another one today. But let's ignore until someone dies?

Flight 2152 Houston to Fort Lauderdale returned back to Houston after a 'loose cabin door handle' shortly after take off...

Last edited by Dyce; Mar 31, 2024 at 12:36 pm
Old Mar 31, 2024 | 12:21 pm
10 Countries Visited

Originally Posted by Dyce
So no talking about the multiple United mechanical issues on Flyertalk? Another one today. But let's ignore until someone dies?
There are existing threads where these issues can be discussed:
Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2024]
Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2024)
SPN Lifer and United747 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024 | 12:40 pm
40 Countries Visited1M100 Nights10 Years on Site

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
Better yet why not a new thread entitled "United mechanical issues 2024"? these are not simply delayed or cancelled issues, these are mechanical in-flight issues...
mogi67 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024 | 12:46 pm
10 Countries Visited

Better yet why not a new thread entitled "United mechanical issues 2024"? these are not simply delayed or cancelled issues, these are mechanical in-flight issues...
Some threads about a specific mechanical issue have previously been merged there or elsewhere. I'd argue that a mechanical usually results in a delay, cancellation, diversion, etc., and would fit the scope of these threads.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024 | 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So no talking about the multiple United mechanical issues on Flyertalk? Another one today. But let's ignore until someone dies?.....
There is no denying the slightest MX event is getting more visibility. The question in my mind is if this rate of MX out of the norm. Remember generally 15% of flight are typically delayed usually due MX or WX, and out of 4,500 daily flights we have not normally had posts on every MX in the past. The publicly available numbers are not normally available until 6-8 weeks after the end of the month. BTS is still report December 2023. And no word on FAA investigation but the FAA investigation suggests they are asking these questions (but the FAA is likely hyper sensitivity and perhaps new report drive given the recent history).
Old Mar 31, 2024 | 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Posting about them will reduce mechanical issues and deaths?

In that case, post away.
Old Mar 31, 2024 | 2:16 pm
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AADULtArer
We use existing threads because trying to cook up hysteria with single reports of issues without context of the 5000 flights that occurred today without issues is repetitive and uninteresting to most of us who fly.

invariably these cooks conflate issues of airframe , design, build,maintenance , ATC , procedures in these threads.

But, to be fair , the critical parts of these missions are one way. Maybe we should insist on new airframes for round trip flights?
Old Mar 31, 2024 | 2:44 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
For all the talk about the age of B-52s... they barely fly.

United has 787s with more hours already than the life limit of the B-52H, and their dispatch reliability (to use an airline term) is eye-wateringly poor. There really is no comparison.
FlyerBeek likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.