FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   SFO Terminal 3 West Remodel started - July 2024 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2159713-sfo-terminal-3-west-remodel-started-july-2024-a.html)

Kacee Oct 15, 2024 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by econ (Post 36599406)
I noticed that too while walking across Intl terminal inside. Not sure what impact is to the drop-off/pick-up area over there though.

The loop is absolute chaos during busy periods. UA's use of the D gates has led to a massive increase in T2 pick-ups, and that causes a big bottleneck at the vehicle entry for T3, since the vehicles entering T3 must merge with the ones exiting T2.

nomad420 Oct 15, 2024 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 36599546)
The loop is absolute chaos during busy periods. UA's use of the D gates has led to a massive increase in T2 pick-ups, and that causes a big bottleneck at the vehicle entry for T3, since the vehicles entering T3 must merge with the ones exiting T2.

Take bags upstairs and get picked up there, that SOMETIMES helps. If I have no (or limited) bags I have been walking over to international and getting picked up there as well, depending on the time of day international can be wide open. .

Kacee Oct 15, 2024 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 36599708)
Take bags upstairs and get picked up there, that SOMETIMES helps.

I was talking about upstairs, departure level. I can only imagine what arrivals level is like.

It is very much time of day dependent. But for a 9:30 a.m. arrival last week, it was an absolute mess.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Oct 15, 2024 4:40 pm

I like the idea of sparing them the deeper loop. Int’l terminal, departures level it is.

Thanks!

WineCountryUA Oct 15, 2024 4:52 pm

Does the shortterm parking still have the 10-15 minute in/out for free option?

JAaronT Oct 15, 2024 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 36599546)

In my observation, it hasn't really been T2 traffic causing the issue, it was like that even before the pickup of UA flying there. It's the sheer volume of traffic trying to squeeze into the one T3 inner loop entrance from the outer loop, and then drop-offs not clearing out fast enough to keep up, combined with the usual airport curbside coming/going chaos. When coming into the airport, it's often faster to take the inner loop through T1/2 rather an the "express" route to T3. They have recently added flaggers stopping traffic coming in to T3 and allowing T2 traffic out, which also gives the T3 curb a few moments to clear.

It's a total goat rodeo, and I don't think any of this construction will help any of it when finished, unless they add on some traffic management work. Or UA greatly expands its check-in presence in T2 to better distribute between T2 and T3.

nomad420 Oct 15, 2024 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 36599813)
Does the shortterm parking still have the 10-15 minute in/out for free option?

Pretty sure they don't offer that anymore. But yeah, that was convenient and a nice option.

Kacee Oct 15, 2024 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by JAaronT (Post 36599850)
In my observation, it hasn't really been T2 traffic causing the issue, it was like that even before the pickup of UA flying there.

Yes, that's always been an issue, but it's even worse now with T2 much busier due to all the UA traffic. That's why they've recently put a flagger out there to control the flow during busy times.

SF_DUKE Oct 16, 2024 8:50 am

The F1-F4 corridor will be closing next month (Nov)

nomad420 Oct 16, 2024 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by JAaronT (Post 36599850)
It's a total goat rodeo, and I don't think any of this construction will help any of it when finished, unless they add on some traffic management work. Or UA greatly expands its check-in presence in T2 to better distribute between T2 and T3.

Given my unique geographic location in the Bay Area I can pretty much pick and choose where I fly in and out of including SMF and for over the past year my choice of using SFO has been only as a last resort.

Lamp1009 Oct 21, 2024 3:46 pm

Not sure if this belongs here, but when will we likely see Singapore move over to A? Surely we shouldn't be having UA of all airlines stuck in A, especially since all potential connecting passengers from SIN have to re-clear security again anyways.

GoSh4rks Oct 21, 2024 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Lamp1009 (Post 36613864)
Not sure if this belongs here, but when will we likely see Singapore move over to A? Surely we shouldn't be having UA of all airlines stuck in A, especially since all potential connecting passengers from SIN have to re-clear security again anyways.

I doubt SQ would be happy about losing direct access to the Polaris lounge. They had to give up their lounge to make space for it.

lolstebbo Oct 21, 2024 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks (Post 36613918)
I doubt SQ would be happy about losing direct access to the Polaris lounge. They had to give up their lounge to make space for it.

BR already lost direct access, and they also gave up their lounge to make space for the Polaris Lounge.

Infinite1K Oct 21, 2024 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lamp1009 (Post 36613864)

What UA flights have been moved to A on a regular basis? The only ones I’ve seen are when there are late arrivals after G passport control is closed.

Lamp1009 Oct 21, 2024 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K (Post 36614026)
What UA flights have been moved to A on a regular basis? The only ones I’ve seen are when there are late arrivals after G passport control is closed.

MEX is the big one (UA 820), but I've been shoved there about 4 times in the past few months since F1-4 have shuttered, particularly on domestic flights (including IAH-SFO on a 772). The T2 additions should've covered the F1-4 closure, but we're still seeing flights arrive and depart out of A. With anticipated UA expansions, especially to the pacific, I would not at all be surprised if this becomes a more regular occurrence. Throw in the proposed JV with Avianca and Copa, and things will likely get crazier