Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's the latest you can check in for a flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2024 | 6:52 am
Original Poster

I understand you are supposed to check in for your fight online 24 hours ahead of time. But what's the latest you can check in for a flight and not lose your seat? Do you have to do online checkin, or is check in at airport still allowed with United? (Believe it or not, I know someone who still doesn't have a smartphone and refuses to get one LOL) thanks
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 7:11 am
Original Member
30 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
It depends on type of flight (domestic or international), whether the traveler has a checked bag, and which airport they would be flying out of.

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...t-process.html

And yes, they can still check-in in person at the airport, via a kiosk or wait in line.

geckoflyer and Jason77W like this.
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 7:25 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Also can check in on computer, and print boarding pass (or just get at airport if no printer).
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha
It depends on type of flight (domestic or international), whether the traveler has a checked bag, and which airport they would be flying out of.

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...t-process.html

And yes, they can still check-in in person at the airport, via a kiosk or wait in line.
If they are flying to a connecting USA city and then an international flight from that connecting city, is that counted as a domestic or international check in for the first flight in USA?
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by redfrog
If they are flying to a connecting USA city and then an international flight from that connecting city, is that counted as a domestic or international check in for the first flight in USA?
Domestic.
redfrog likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

I understand you are supposed to check in for your fight online 24 hours ahead of time.
I think you're thinking of Southwest. Although I frequently due this, either out of habit or because UA sends a reminder text at about T-23:45, in most situations there's no real advantage to doing so.

Do you have to do online checkin, or is check in at airport still allowed with United?
You can check-in at the airport, and unlike some ULCCs, there's no charge for doing so. But if you choose not to check in online, either via the app or web, you're at the mercy of the line at the airport. So if your friend is the type of person who will arrive at the airport three hours prior to departure, then they'll be fine, but if they are last-minute arrivers, they may find themselves stuck in an unexpected line and unable to make their flight.
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 8:48 am
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AADULtArer
I understand you are supposed to check in for your fight online 24 hours ahead of time. But what's the latest you can check in for a flight and not lose your seat? Do you have to do online checkin, or is check in at airport still allowed with United? (Believe it or not, I know someone who still doesn't have a smartphone and refuses to get one LOL) thanks

you must checking 30 minutes before scheduled flight time domestic , 60 minutes international.

bags have nothing to do with checkin but have their own deadlines for flights , which can be station dependent.
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 9:39 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Domestic.
I think this is incorrect as I have been burned on this before. I was flying LNK-ORD-PEK. LNK is very small and I lived very close. I showed up 45m before the LNK-ORD and could not check-in. The agent had to manually override explaining to me it was because of the international segment.
uanj likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 9:51 am
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by mander
I think this is incorrect as I have been burned on this before. I was flying LNK-ORD-PEK. LNK is very small and I lived very close. I showed up 45m before the LNK-ORD and could not check-in. The agent had to manually override explaining to me it was because of the international segment.
you are correct, the extra time is in theory for document check and international documents need to be checked at the airport of your first flight now because there is more time to send your information you can get an over ride in many cases, if you just need a passport and it is a us passport assuming no expiration date issue it can be done at the kiosk
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mander
Originally Posted by tennessetom
you are correct, the extra time is in theory for document check and international documents need to be checked at the airport of your first flight now because there is more time to send your information you can get an over ride in many cases, if you just need a passport and it is a us passport assuming no expiration date issue it can be done at the kiosk
Hmmm I have not ever run into problems with this, but maybe I am organically arriving early enough.
Jason77W likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 10:40 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by drewguy
Also can check in on computer, and print boarding pass (or just get at airport if no printer).
My experience has been that it is no longer possible to email or print a PDF boarding pass.
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by physioprof
My experience has been that it is no longer possible to email or print a PDF boarding pass.
Sometimes it still gives the print pdf option when you do checkin on the website. I got it earlier this month. I have no idea why it is sometimes offered and sometimes not, though.
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 12:07 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by fumje
Sometimes it still gives the print pdf option when you do checkin on the website. I got it earlier this month. I have no idea why it is sometimes offered and sometimes not, though.
Huh - shows how long it's been since i did it that way! Only issue I've had is the "this is not a boarding pass" boarding pass for international flights needing a doc check.

Anyway, one can still check in via computer and get BP at kiosk, which in theory might allow one to check in even later (though with 30 mins you're not likely to make it to any airport, through security, and to boarding).
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physioprof
I have always had the option to print BP when checking in on the website. Doesn't offer it on the app.

Wonder why it wouldn't show up sometimes?
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 1:52 pm

Programs: UA: 1K. Hilton: Diamond. Marriot: Gold. AA: Gold
Originally Posted by tennessetom
For international flights (including Canada and Mexico), you need to checkin 60 minutes before departure of your first flight regardless of whether you first segment is domestic or international.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.