Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GateGourmet pending strike? 30 July 2024 (Deal reached? pre-order not returned yet?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2024, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sonyeoshin

UA Catering by Airport

Gate Gourmet – Newark, Denver, Honolulu, San Francisco, Washington (IAD)
Sky Café – Cleveland
Newrest – Houston
Air Fayre - Los Angeles
LSG SkyChefs - Chicago, Guam
Print Wikipost

GateGourmet pending strike? 30 July 2024 (Deal reached? pre-order not returned yet?)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2024 | 9:53 am
1M15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
Originally Posted by kmersh
IIRC Filk Hospitality Group caters at least the Polaris Lounges if not the United Clubs as well.
Flik also caters the AMEX lounges
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 9:55 am

Programs: United 1K
I'm traveling in Polaris SFO to MNL (14+ hours) on 7/30, less than an hour after the strike is scheduled to begin. I was wondering why I haven't received an invitation to select my meal. It's going to be an interesting flight!
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by John_Montana
I'm traveling in Polaris SFO to MNL (14+ hours) on 7/30, less than an hour after the strike is scheduled to begin. I was wondering why I haven't received an invitation to select my meal. It's going to be an interesting flight!
Did you log in today and check your reservation for the option? An e-mail invitation is not always forthcoming in a timely manner. The option in the reservation often shows up before an e-mail for whatever reason.
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 12:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
That explains why I have an upcoming flight and I haven't received my pre-order option.
Same here, ex-SFO
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 1:22 pm
10 Countries Visited2M80 Nights10 Years on Site

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Did you log in today and check your reservation for the option? An e-mail invitation is not always forthcoming in a timely manner. The option in the reservation often shows up before an e-mail for whatever reason.
I never wait for the email. I always log in to my account. Just logged in again for a SFO-SYD flight on 30 July. Nadda

And now my 29 July MIA-SFO has seen the link disappear and my previously selected meal cancelled Getting us ready for for shelf stable catering when the strike actually happens?!? I know, first world problem, but SFO-SYD with shelf stable MRE's and minimal beverages (water?) will make for a looooonger flight then normal.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 26, 2024 at 1:34 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know if the pre-order system is down? I have a domestic F flight next Tuesday out of a hub that is a lunch flight. Definitely within the five-day window now but under Manage Trip it still just says Lunch instead of changing to the pre-order link. Or did they change how to pre-order since I last did it?
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 1:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bear96
Does anyone know if the pre-order system is down? I have a domestic F flight next Tuesday out of a hub that is a lunch flight.
EWR, DEN, SFO, and IAD?
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
EWR, DEN, SFO, and IAD?
No, IAH. So should not be part of the affected by the GG issue according to the Wiki part of this thread. (I did not initially post the question in the GG Strike thread but it was moved here.)
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 3:00 pm

That explains why I have an upcoming flight and I haven't received my pre-order option.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Same here, ex-SFO
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Bear96
Does anyone know if the pre-order system is down? I have a domestic F flight next Tuesday out of a hub that is a lunch flight. Definitely within the five-day window now but under Manage Trip it still just says Lunch instead of changing to the pre-order link. Or did they change how to pre-order since I last did it?
I also don't have a preorder link yet, but it is a flight from IAD. It would be nice if they could communicate something proactively instead of leaving us to guess.
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 3:19 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Pre order

Apparently UA has disabled pre order. IF there is no strike, I suspect there will still be significant service issues w UA using the potential strike as causing them..

Old Jul 27, 2024 | 5:00 am
mp2

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
United Polaris - No Preorder option?

Hello,

my family is traveling on Monday Jul 29 on United Polaris, SFO - FRA. . We haven’t received a link to preorder meals. It doesn’t show up on the reservation as well

Tried chatting with United and even called them. Neither were able to help.

Is this normal? How can I get to preorder meals?

I can go with the meal preference route but it’s hit or miss.

Any ideas on how to resolve?
Old Jul 27, 2024 | 5:40 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Its being discussed on the thread about meals, and the thread about the possible strike of the caterer at a couple airports. They may have taken down the pre-order option due to the possible strike.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 27, 2024 at 9:41 am Reason: cleanup after merge, thanks for the link
Old Jul 27, 2024 | 7:02 am
30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: UA Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Its being discussed on the thread about meals, and the thread about the possible strike of the caterer at a couple airports. They may have taken down the pre-order option due to the possible strike.
Why would they pull it a day before the strike though?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 27, 2024 at 9:41 am
Old Jul 27, 2024 | 8:38 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by periperi
Why would they pull it a day before the strike though?
Maybe because there are threats of a sick out, or other disruption in the days leading up to the actual strike. Sometimes things get stupid. Maybe the caterer is shutting down production to avoid wasting food. I don't have any actual info, just ideas on possible issues.
Old Jul 27, 2024 | 8:43 am
40 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
EWR-DEN tomorrow and return Wednesday. No pre-order option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.