FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA+EK Award Ticket Questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2167950-ua-ek-award-ticket-questions.html)

nycflyer222 Jul 27, 2024 11:16 pm

UA+EK Award Ticket Questions

I am considering booking an award ticket SFO-EWR-DXB-SEZ in J (except SFO-EWR)... UA: SFO-EWR-DXB / EK: DXB-SEZ

A few questions:
  • Can I visit the Polaris Lounge at SFO in addition to EWR (domestic leg id in Y, all else in J)?
  • Will my bags be checked through to SEZ (~8 hour layover that crosses over midnight at DXB)?
  • If I missed my connection at EWR for whatever reason, would they potentially put me on EK (or another *A airline) for EWR-DXB, or would I have to wait until the next available UA flight?

sonyeoshin Jul 27, 2024 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by nycflyer222 (Post 36410862)
I am considering booking an award ticket SFO-EWR-DXB-SEZ in J (except SFO-EWR)... UA: SFO-EWR-DXB / EK: DXB-SEZ

A few questions:
  • Can I visit the Polaris Lounge at SFO in addition to EWR (domestic leg id in Y, all else in J)?

Yes

• Will my bags be checked through to SEZ (~8 hour layover that crosses over midnight at DXB)?

Not sure, maybe. I'd say that is technically not an overnight layover. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...solidated.html

• If I missed my connection at EWR for whatever reason, would they potentially put me on EK (or another *A airline) for EWR-DXB, or would I have to wait until the next available UA flight?

Maybe on EK. Probably a higher chance on an LH group airline or other *A with a connection, or on UA on the next flight.

rolltribe Jul 28, 2024 8:13 am

A few questions:

possibly, better chances on a revenue ticket, but also not many options across the pond later than the UA flight that would get you into DXB in the middle of the night.

cfischer Jul 28, 2024 9:30 am

Lounge ok, bags checked through. Irop rebooking will by YMMV - not a ton of options to SEZ

fumje Jul 28, 2024 10:00 am

UA is able to sign over to EK. However, the timing is such that by the time your EWR-DXB cancels, you would be quite tight on time to get over to JFK to catch the EK flight.

Cancels on the late-evening EWR TATL flights usually mean try again next day because there aren't many alternatives left by the time it happens.

dkc192 Jul 28, 2024 10:22 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 36411753)
UA is able to sign over to EK. However, the timing is such that by the time your EWR-DXB cancels, you would be quite tight on time to get over to JFK to catch the EK flight.

Cancels on the late-evening EWR TATL flights usually mean try again next day because there aren't many alternatives left by the time it happens.

EK flies EWR-DXB as well (via ATH), and that flight currently leaves EWR about 2.5h after the UA flight.

If 4Y/WK/OS fly to SEZ (I think some or all do, at least seasonally), then rebooking via a LH group hub is also an option.

PTahCha Jul 28, 2024 11:10 am

How long is your layover in EWR?

nycflyer222 Jul 28, 2024 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 36411893)
How long is your layover in EWR?

~2 hours - I think it should be okay (except for thunderstorms) but just wanted to know what a backup plan could look like!

rolltribe Jul 28, 2024 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by nycflyer222 (Post 36412207)
~2 hours - I think it should be okay (except for thunderstorms) but just wanted to know what a backup plan could look like!

why not take one of the earlier EWR-SFO options for a longer layover?

nycflyer222 Jul 28, 2024 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by rolltribe (Post 36412375)
why not take one of the earlier EWR-SFO options for a longer layover?

It's a very long journey, so I'm hoping to avoid extra time at airports. I suppose if I see inclement weather, I could head to the airport and go standby on an earlier flight.