Wiki Posts
Search

UA+EK Award Ticket Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2024, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
UA+EK Award Ticket Questions

I am considering booking an award ticket SFO-EWR-DXB-SEZ in J (except SFO-EWR)... UA: SFO-EWR-DXB / EK: DXB-SEZ

A few questions:
  • Can I visit the Polaris Lounge at SFO in addition to EWR (domestic leg id in Y, all else in J)?
  • Will my bags be checked through to SEZ (~8 hour layover that crosses over midnight at DXB)?
  • If I missed my connection at EWR for whatever reason, would they potentially put me on EK (or another *A airline) for EWR-DXB, or would I have to wait until the next available UA flight?
Old Jul 27, 2024, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by nycflyer222
I am considering booking an award ticket SFO-EWR-DXB-SEZ in J (except SFO-EWR)... UA: SFO-EWR-DXB / EK: DXB-SEZ

A few questions:
  • Can I visit the Polaris Lounge at SFO in addition to EWR (domestic leg id in Y, all else in J)?
Yes
  • Will my bags be checked through to SEZ (~8 hour layover that crosses over midnight at DXB)?
Not sure, maybe. I'd say that is technically not an overnight layover. Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

• If I missed my connection at EWR for whatever reason, would they potentially put me on EK (or another *A airline) for EWR-DXB, or would I have to wait until the next available UA flight?
Maybe on EK. Probably a higher chance on an LH group airline or other *A with a connection, or on UA on the next flight.
Old Jul 28, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond

A few questions:
possibly, better chances on a revenue ticket, but also not many options across the pond later than the UA flight that would get you into DXB in the middle of the night.
Old Jul 28, 2024, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Lounge ok, bags checked through. Irop rebooking will by YMMV - not a ton of options to SEZ
Old Jul 28, 2024, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA is able to sign over to EK. However, the timing is such that by the time your EWR-DXB cancels, you would be quite tight on time to get over to JFK to catch the EK flight.

Cancels on the late-evening EWR TATL flights usually mean try again next day because there aren't many alternatives left by the time it happens.
Old Jul 28, 2024, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fumje
UA is able to sign over to EK. However, the timing is such that by the time your EWR-DXB cancels, you would be quite tight on time to get over to JFK to catch the EK flight.

Cancels on the late-evening EWR TATL flights usually mean try again next day because there aren't many alternatives left by the time it happens.
EK flies EWR-DXB as well (via ATH), and that flight currently leaves EWR about 2.5h after the UA flight.

If 4Y/WK/OS fly to SEZ (I think some or all do, at least seasonally), then rebooking via a LH group hub is also an option.
Old Jul 28, 2024, 11:10 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
How long is your layover in EWR?
Old Jul 28, 2024, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha
How long is your layover in EWR?
~2 hours - I think it should be okay (except for thunderstorms) but just wanted to know what a backup plan could look like!
Old Jul 28, 2024, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
~2 hours - I think it should be okay (except for thunderstorms) but just wanted to know what a backup plan could look like!
why not take one of the earlier EWR-SFO options for a longer layover?
Old Jul 28, 2024, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rolltribe
why not take one of the earlier EWR-SFO options for a longer layover?
It's a very long journey, so I'm hoping to avoid extra time at airports. I suppose if I see inclement weather, I could head to the airport and go standby on an earlier flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.