Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why do we chase UA status? Did UA marketing make us do that?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do we chase UA status? Did UA marketing make us do that?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2024, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I do find myself chasing additional Plus Points by buying more expensive tickets to generate additional PQDs. To me, the fare gap between international Y and Polaris is getting so wide that the value of PPs have increased as result (while the RDM value is decreasing due to dynamic pricing redemption rates).
Please, stop this immediately.

I"m not disputing the value of PlusPoints, but you only get 20 additional PlusPoints for every 3000 PQP. That's an extra $6,000 for one one-way upgrade from R or W to J.

Absolutely nobody should be targeting the extra PlusPoints by making incremental spend, unless you end up within say $200 of a threshold. Keep in mind, Miles + Copay has the exact same clearance behavior as PlusPoints. If you don't have enough PlusPoints, use miles. If you don't have enough miles, buy more with Award Accelerator. But please don't spend $6,000 to get a single one-way upgrade that you could get for ~$500+30K miles.
Old Aug 27, 2024, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

I"m not disputing the value of PlusPoints, but you only get 20 additional PlusPoints for every 3000 PQP. That's an extra $6,000 for one one-way upgrade from R or W to J.

Absolutely nobody should be targeting the extra PlusPoints by making incremental spend, unless you end up within say $200 of a threshold. Keep in mind, Miles + Copay has the exact same clearance behavior as PlusPoints. If you don't have enough PlusPoints, use miles. If you don't have enough miles, buy more with Award Accelerator. But please don't spend $6,000 to get a single one-way upgrade that you could get for ~$500+30K miles.
Off topic but does miles + copay clear into PZ (if 1K or below) and PN (if GS) space?
Old Aug 27, 2024, 7:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UnitedHostage
Off topic but does miles + copay clear into PZ (if 1K or below) and PN (if GS) space?
PlusPoints and Miles+copay, have the same priority and clear from the same inventory.
If from a GS account, PN, otherwise PZ.
Passenger status is not a factor, source of the upgrade support is the factor.
Old Aug 27, 2024, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UnitedHostage
Yes. A miles+copay upgrade is indistinguishable from a PlusPoints upgrade.
UnitedHostage likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2024, 7:25 pm

Yes. A miles+copay upgrade is indistinguishable from a PlusPoints upgrade.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
PlusPoints and Miles+copay, have the same priority and clear from the same inventory.
If from a GS account, PN, otherwise PZ.
Passenger status is not a factor, source of the upgrade support is the factor.
Thanks. Yes seems incorrect to chase PlusPoints spend bonuses then.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2024, 8:42 pm

Programs: MP Silver
United's Asia network and my job flying every week paid dividends because i had status and could get upgrades to China easily before the pandemic. Now i work for another airline and rarely fly so 2024 was the first year since 2019 that i haven't had some kind of United status. Never really chased it, more like a happy coincidence. I imagine WFH probably trimmed their elites roster quite a bit after United stopped extending it and giving people free PQP like candy.
Old Aug 28, 2024, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

No, I am not spending $6K to earn PPs. That would be silly as you described.

I am doing as you pointed out: If I am within one fare class (within economy) and/or a couple of hundred $ away, I would upgrade my fare to earn those points. Typically at end of year.

jsloan, SPN Lifer and abaheti like this.
Old Aug 30, 2024, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ani90
Wow. I learn something new everyday - maybe there are then people who buy petrol and pour down the drain to get superior status recognition with Shell afterall
Lots of people game the grocery store fuel points discount. Usually can redeem to get a $1/gal discount on gas ($1 per point spent; redeem 100 points for $0.10/gal discount up to 1000 points per fill-up). Typical redemption is limited to 35 gallons per fill-up, so I know stories about people who bring multiple 5 gallon gas cans to hit the 35 gallon mark. When I had three gas cars (now down to two and one EV), I would recruit the household to take all three cars and fill up at one pump. We'd easily hit 35 gallons, and I'd use the "savings" to pick up take-out while the other two cars went directly home.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2024, 2:54 am

Programs: UA, QR, EY, AA, SQ, A6, MH
I don't know if I'm chasing or not, but I suspect I am.
I'm based out of Dubai for work, so my regular travel has me flying EWR-DXB 3-4 times a year, which I do in Polaris. UA has the least expensive biz seats for a non-stop flight back home to the NYC area, with the the two other options being Etihad & Emirates. The price difference is substantial between UA/EY/EK. I'm talking thousands of $$ difference. With two more domestic segments flown once I'm stateside, I move up one status level at the completion of each round trip. I hit Platinum in May with the third trip of the year, got those 40 Plus Points, but have not flown UA since then. I really could put the extra Plus Points to use next year if I hit 1K this year, so I booked one last trip with the remaining 3 days of vacation I have left for the calendar year to be stateside for Thanksgiving weekend. That's 3 days of traveling for 3 days spent with family. Hardly seems worth it time-wise, but being able to purchase a $2200 PE ticket, and using PP to upgrade to Polaris, saving between $2k-$4k in the process, 4 times for 2025 travel should make it worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.