Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Been flying for yrs, never encountered seat mate (odor) quite like this

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Been flying for yrs, never encountered seat mate (odor) quite like this

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2024, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Up until about 5 (?) years ago, the FAs would hang a coffee bag from the coat hook inside the F lavatory, to help with the odors.
Coffee bag? You mean tea bag, yes?
I continue to see tea bags hung in lavs to this day.
Old Aug 25, 2024, 10:57 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by narvik
Yes I've seen this -- they use a coffee filter filled with coffee...
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2024, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I fly mainly to Japan and, on my flights, it was always coffee in the lav until it was discontinued pre-COVID (thanks to Andy for letting us know why).
Old Aug 25, 2024, 11:02 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Hey everyone, enjoy your lunch!!
LETTERBOY and zombietooth like this.
Old Aug 25, 2024, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Yes I've seen this -- they use a coffee filter filled with coffee...
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I fly mainly to Japan and, on my flights, it was always coffee in the lav until it was discontinued pre-COVID.
Oh, cool.
Never noticed.

(Maybe young new UA hires will restart the practice by using Nespresso capsules? )
Old Aug 25, 2024, 3:02 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Whether or not one has access to a lounge for a shower...always take clean shirt, pants, socks and undies..you feel better and so do those around you and if possible, nothing wrong with freshening up in a bathroom with a wet towel, even paper if need be. be considerate to your fellow traveller especially if a known offender.
Old Aug 25, 2024, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Been stuck one time by a guy who farted over most of the 2 hr flight. Not sure what he ate at the gate?
Live4Upgrades likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2024, 7:31 pm

Programs: MP Silver
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Been stuck one time by a guy who farted over most of the 2 hr flight. Not sure what he ate at the gate?
this was me years ago in polaris from ORD to PEK after I had the AVML lentil curry. high FODMAP foods and stomach upset due to altitude are not a good combo

Old Aug 26, 2024, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I keep a small tube of scented lotion in my 3-1-1 bag for a reason - so I can apply it liberally under my nose as needed.
uanj, UALboy and jtwiz like this.
Old Aug 26, 2024, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Doppy
Many years ago I am pretty sure I was on a transcon seated next to a homeless person. At the time I couldn't figure how how someone in that state was on a plane, but now I'm aware that certain cities have policies of sending homeless people around between them, so I guess I can see how it would happen but it would be nice if they provided a shower and change of clothes.
I remember there was quite a stink (pun intended) in the 1970s or 1980s because some mainland states (I seem to recall New York and California but I could be mistaken, it's been a few decades) used to send their vagrants to Hawaii on a one-way ticket. Interestingly, I see Hawaii now had a Return to Home program to send homeless back to their families on the mainland.
SPN Lifer and Live4Upgrades like this.
Old Aug 26, 2024, 10:29 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I fly mainly to Japan and, on my flights, it was always coffee in the lav until it was discontinued pre-COVID (thanks to Andy for letting us know why).
There is now a scent stick that is attached to the soap dispenser, but some old school FAs still hang the coffee bag for nostalgia.
Old Aug 26, 2024, 10:43 am

I recall someone on FT describing the modification of one of those jumbo Life Saver candies at the UC to clip it below his nostrils, like a bullnose ring, in order to ward off the displeasing scents of seatmates.
uanj, narvik, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 26, 2024, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahzor
this was me years ago in polaris from ORD to PEK after I had the AVML lentil curry. high FODMAP foods and stomach upset due to altitude are not a good combo
pretty bold, fessing up to fumigating out your seat mate
Old Aug 26, 2024, 11:09 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Well, I've been guilty of being Mr. Stinky on a flight or two many, many years ago.
Working in rendering plants in Iowa for days on end, then catching a plane back home.
No, a shower doesn't get rid of the smell.

I've since learned to 'excuse' someone's odor, as circumstances are not always such, that one can board the plane in 'pristine condition'.
What's much more appalling to me in OP's story is the person's attitude.
Ah, the smells of childhood. I grew up in a rural area where we had a rendering plant referred to as "the glue factory", two competing pork sausage plants with their own abattoirs and the world's largest pickle factory where they pickled fish arriving frozen on train cars as well as regional produce. And local manure was abundantly used as fertilizer on everything in the spring. Smells don't tend to bother me much.

But as I started to travel for business I learned to carry a sample bottle of citrus eau de toilette which I offer my colleagues to dab on the end of their nose when traveling in the warmer areas of the world.

I believe that most people with strong body odor are not aware of who much they are, uh, stimulating olfactory senses of those nearby.

SPN Lifer, narvik and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2024, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Originally Posted by mahzor
It's why I always make sure I have a small stash of Gas-X caplets in my laptop bag. I take one as I walk my way towards the gate.
lamphs likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.