Wiki Posts
Search

What is "Global Services"?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2004, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN AList
What is "Global Services"?

On a recent SFO-HKG-SIN-NRT-HNL-SFO trip, the gate agents during their boarding announcement kept mentioning something called "global services" (I believe that's what it was). It was obvious to me this was a high elite status level of some sort, as they would mention it in the same breath as 1K.

That said, I'd never heard of it before.

Did I remember the name right, and what is it for?

TIA.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:05 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111089
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317348
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Do a search for "UGS" and you will find out plenty of details. In short, it's for the high revenue pax on UA (taking into account cost / mile, from what I understand; you can fly $75k in S&T fares and not make it, but fly $40k in Y&B fares and be offered UGS)
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:42 pm

Programs: Lots
Global Services was introduced by United in conjunction with FlyerTalk to single out those who are unable or unwilling to use the "Search" function.

Those who still post about it are singled out by United as having a sort of "special" status, but just not in *that* sort of way...
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Okay, how many posts do we need in one thread suggesting that someone do a search funtion?

It's actually not a Mileage Plus status level based on miles flown or earned, but "awarded" by United & based on revenue spent annually (as mentioned by exerda) although I'm not clear on the numbers as they seem to be a slightly moving target based on some of the previous posts.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate your straightforward answer, exerda.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
UGS stands for United Global Services.

It is an invitation-only program United began in 2003. Criteria include at least $30,000-40,000 in annual spend and the majority of your tickets be in P, F, A, C, D, Y, or B fare basis (generally unrestricted tickets). If you also control very large corporate contracts (probably $50-100 million or more in spending), you can be invited to join UGS, even if you don't fly that much.

UGS members can upgrade a flight with 500-mile certs 120 hours prior to departure. They are also the highest priority on the waitlist for all other upgrade instruments.

UGS members are allowed to board with First Class passengers and are welcome to use International or Domestic First Class check-in counters, regardless of the class of service they are flying on. Also, some airports (like LAX) have a dedicated check-in area for UGS members.

A handful of airports (like SEA and DEN) have dedicated "UGS Rooms" that serve the function the old "1K Rooms" did - a private place to relax before a flight and get assistance from UA Customer Service.

UGS members also have their own private phone line. However, the people on this line are UA's best and most knowledgable agents and have been known to be sticklers for the rules. On the flip side, others have reported that the UGS line will move mountains for them.

Most UGS members are 1Ks, but with membership being determined by either revenue-spend or how much revenue-spend one influences, UGS membership guarantees one at least Premier Executive status (Star Gold).
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, SEA_Tigger.

For others, thanks for your suggestions for using the search function. I've been online since rec.travel.air back over a decade ago and I do know how to look things up (I have an MLIS). So I got dinged. I'll remember to search first, ask second.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
We're not really hard-asses, it's just that with a community this big and active, most questions have been asked and answered - usually in depth and great detail. My reply, for example, was a cut-and-paste of one I did like a week ago for exactly the same question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.