Search

No steak anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:02 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8800: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.8295/1716; en; U; ssr))

In c ord to fra last week on the menu there was no steak choice. When did this happen?
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:04 pm

Had the same for SFO-SYD last week. The return SYD-LAX did have it though.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
What did they replace the steak with?
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I have flown UA 922 frequently (daytime IAD-LHR) and in the old days you did not get an appetizer and the option was steak and one other choice, sometimes pasta (?). Can't remember exactly but I for whatever reason used to always get the steak and it was quite decent from IAD (i.e. rare) at times.

Now they have appetizers (well the salad, smoked salmon combo) and a wider choice of main courses but no steak. Unfortunately it included this awful pork dish that is a "signature" dish of this Charlie Trotter character.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
SFO-SYD was veal medallions, chicken, sea bass, and some vegetarian dish.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
In my experience, on UA 922, it was this nasty pork dish. I suppose that it will be the "Trotter special" going forward. Hopefully, if he concocts something out of fish or chicken then they might bring back steak. But I am guessing that whatever cost they incurred to involve this huckster they have compensated by taking steak off the menu!
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ajthegreat
Had the same for SFO-SYD last week. The return SYD-LAX did have it though.
the flight to SYD leaves so late I never get the steak on that flights, dont want to have a steak sitting in my stomach right before sleeping. perhaps others think they same and there wasnt a big demand for it?
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by gnaget
In my experience, on UA 922, it was this nasty pork dish. I suppose that it will be the "Trotter special" going forward. Hopefully, if he concocts something out of fish or chicken then they might bring back steak. But I am guessing that whatever cost they incurred to involve this huckster they have compensated by taking steak off the menu!
I have heard its more the mass production and inability to transfer the proper cooking to aircraft ovens that has destroyed the C.T. dish. More so this than him being a huckster.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K; Marriott Au; Hyatt Dsc
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I have heard its more the mass production and inability to transfer the proper cooking to aircraft ovens that has destroyed the C.T. dish. More so this than him being a huckster.
That may be so, but still no excuse.

Look, the equipment available in aircraft is no state secret. Part of being a good chef is understanding the food science that goes into the cooking (or reheating process). Transforming ingredients into a sumptuous meal is part art, but more chemistry and engineering -- can't do a good job without taking into account the equipment available.

If CT can't understand this, then UA needs to dump him. Plenty of other airlines have figured out how to have good food if they try.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajthegreat
SFO-SYD was veal medallions, chicken, sea bass, and some vegetarian dish.
Well, veal is beef too.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Well, veal is beef too.
You learn something new everyday! I just googled it...here i am thinking its some duck or deer!
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K Million Miler, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
steak in C HKG-SFO

on Oct. 12.

Wish I hadn't ordered it as it was not that great, but it was offered.

My SO had the fish choice and she made the better choice.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:28 pm

Well, veal is beef too.
No, it's not. It's defined as a cut of meat that comes from an adult steer (or heifer in theory). Veal is from a calf and has completely different texture and taste.

BTW, that Trotter pork would have been horrible in any context. The meat was terrible....
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnaget
No, it's not. It's defined as a cut of meat that comes from an adult steer (or heifer in theory). Veal is from a calf and has completely different texture and taste.

BTW, that Trotter pork would have been horrible in any context. The meat was terrible....
True... you're right. I just thought that since veal is from a calf, and a calf is a young cow...
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:51 pm

True... you're right. I just thought that since veal is from a calf, and a calf is a young cow...
Well, calves are both male and female, but imagine that males are selected for meat. Oddly, there is no appropriate word in the bloody English language that describes these (adult) animals in the singular form. In plural form it's cattle, and specifically beef cattle, which are usually steers (castrated males).

BTW, I prefer not eat veal because these young animals are treated extremely inhumanely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.