Wiki Posts
Search

Frankfurt Check In Time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2001, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Titanium
Frankfurt Check In Time

Does anyone know the cutoff time for checking in at FRA? I know at LHR its something like an hour.
Old Jun 28, 2001, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Contrary to popular belief, the Germans aren't as punctual as they are perceived. Mind you, they still place great importance on time but, in my experiences, it seems FRA is much more lax about punctuality than LHR. FRA appreciates tremendously those who arrive early, but I have been known to check in only about 1/2 hour before the flight-- and have had no problems. Also, when boarding, it is not uncommon to see people checking in at the gate.
Old Jun 28, 2001, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
If you're connecting at FRA and have
less than 90mins, you WILL check in at
the gate, and at the last minute, too.
Old Jun 29, 2001, 6:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by dulcamara:
If you're connecting at FRA and have
less than 90mins, you WILL check in at
the gate, and at the last minute, too.
</font>
Most of the time I have connections at FRA with less than 60
minutes connex time and never had to check in at the gate because BP's get issued at the originating airport! And contrary to what most people say, even 40 minutes online connections do work well. You just have to know your way arounf in the maze...
Old Jul 2, 2001, 8:16 am

I would never schedule an international connection of less than 1 hour (and preferably 1.5 hours). About 50% of the time when I have I have missed my flight (and about 80% of the time when I have my baggage has not made the connection). By the way, BP's only get issued at the originating airport if it is an inline connection (or occasionally if the connection is between partners in the same alliance). For example, if you are flying AA and connecting to LH, BP's will NOT be issued at the originating airport.
Old Jul 2, 2001, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
If you're connecting from LH to LH, I doubt you'll have a problem with a one hour connection. Even within *A and with a BP, an hour is really tight for me.

My connections tend to be UA and Luxair. Luxair uses LH gates at FRA, but will not give me a UA BP when I check in a LUX.
Old Jul 2, 2001, 11:29 am

dcpremex, sure, interline BP's don't get issued by the originating carrier but as long as it is an online connection or within the same alliance, they are issued at the originating airport.

45 Minutes is the official minimum connecting time at FRA, LH and *A have some flights with even lower MCT. I take a lot of tight connections in FRA, and, knock on wood, have always made my flights.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 9:34 am

I'm looking at connecting in FRA from an LH flight from Moscow to a UA flight to ORD. Anyone know if there might be any unusual delays for customs are anything since I'm coming back from Russia ?

Old Jul 15, 2001, 9:40 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
nothing special when connecting in transit from Russia (LH) to USA (UA) in FRA.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
You should not have to go through customs in FRA.

But be aware if your flight is delayed and they try to rebook you on the later LH flight, they may ask you to do the UA-LH shuffle where they bounce you between the two ticket counters. I have had this only happen twice, but I've heard of several others who experienced this. LH will ask you to go the the UA ticket counter if they can not get anyone on the phone at UA to authorize the endorsement. (Then at the UA counter they tell you no endorsement is required and send you back to LH.)

The UA counter is outside of security. So you must clear immigration and security to get to the boarding gate.

The moral is to try to get it staightened out without having to go to the UA counter.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 10:37 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
if you must see UA, don't leave the transit area, go to the UA desk in the transit area or to the RCC (near gate C2) without having to leave transit.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 3:19 pm

Thanks for the advice. My wife and I will be returning from Russia with an adopted child, so making a connection will probably be the least of our troubles at that time !

Considered flying Delta with non-stop from Moscow to NYC, but if changing planes airlines in FRA is not a problem, prefer to go with the airline I have more status with.

As for RCC, what is United's policy on use of the RCC if you are travelling on an upgraded to business class ticket ?
Old Jul 15, 2001, 3:36 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ToddETurner:
...As for RCC, what is United's policy on use of the RCC if you are travelling on an upgraded to business class ticket ?</font>
All pax upgraded to International Business for any reason ARE elegible to use RCC's on the days of travel.

NO pax upgraded to International Business for any reason ARE elegible to use UA's Arrivals service.

However, pax on MP award (not MP upgraded) travel in International Business ARE elegible to use UA's Arrivals service.

Old Jul 15, 2001, 3:37 pm

Location: Memphis, TN USA UA 1K, NW Platinum, AA Gold, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Gold
ToddETurner,

Would you be kind enough to email me. I would sincerely appreciate it. I would like to ask you a question or two about adoption.

Thanks!

Jack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.