Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Old Apr 17, 2010 | 9:55 am

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
Originally Posted by SAN 1K
I have a high level of respect for pilots, but I have to say that I find this excessive and, to some degree, disrespectful to passengers. Could the new business class seats have sufficed for pilot rests? (I understand why the old business seats didn't). In first class, why would the crew rest seats need to litterally be the best seats in the cabin? Why couldn't they have been middle seats, as they are for sleeping anyway? Is it really true that a first class seat (or two) is needed to eat a meal? Couldn't meals be eaten in an FA type crew seat in coach? I have to say I haven't seen this crew seat thing in F cabins (or C cabins) on other airlines (BA, LH). How do the crews eat on those flights?
Respectfully submitted,
SAN 1K
It's what their union (ALPA) and United agreed to as an acceptable seat for their meal and crew rest. It could also have to do with the curtain used for the rest as it would be easier to just cover 1 window seat like 2K on the 767. I think 1K is the best seat on the 767 as you're in your own private side.

FA don't eat their meals in our crew rest seats in Y. We eat in the galley or on our jumpseats. Some Pilots eat their meals in the cockpit but some wish to wait for their break to eat.
Old Apr 17, 2010 | 10:24 am
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Aluminum tubing
Yes but they can't eat their meal in a bunk.
Where does the flightdeck crew on the 747 eat their meals? They have a bunk and no first class seat for crew rest.
Old Apr 17, 2010 | 10:44 am

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
The 747 cockpit is large enough for the bunk room to be inside. They eat in the cockpit.
Old Apr 17, 2010 | 1:27 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
It's what their union (ALPA) and United agreed to as an acceptable seat for their meal and crew rest. It could also have to do with the curtain used for the rest as it would be easier to just cover 1 window seat like 2K on the 767. I think 1K is the best seat on the 767 as you're in your own private side.

FA don't eat their meals in our crew rest seats in Y. We eat in the galley or on our jumpseats. Some Pilots eat their meals in the cockpit but some wish to wait for their break to eat.
I realize that the flight crew rest seats are the results of union negotiations. I believe that the "first class" stipulation was negotiated when the old cabins were in play, and should be rethought at the next round.
I actually think 1k is the second-worst 767 F seat for overnight flights (after 1C). Even in the best of situations galley noise from breakfast prep will wake me up 60-90 minutes before breakfast. More commonly there is sporadic galley prep noise and FA chatter thruout the flight making 1C and 1F non-sleep seats for many.
I have definitely seen FAs eat in the 767 seats at the back of the C cabin. Is that against policy (I don't see why it should be?).
Old Apr 17, 2010 | 4:45 pm

No it's not against policy for the FA's to eat in their crew seats on the 767.

I'm not a pilot so maybe they can give more info as to why it's in F and C. I only passed along the info of the pilot seat being 2A since the question was asked to me in a PM as that person wasn't able to see an updated seat map and I have the seat map for the new 777 in my manual.
Old Apr 17, 2010 | 10:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

....Last update I heard which could change was the plane should be out April 14th-17th. Still SFO-LHR-DEN-SFO routing.
It's April 17 and they didn't make it -- but who would have guessed back then that the reason could well be not that they were late, but that there are no flights going to LHR due to an Icelandic volcano!

Any new ETA once flights resume?
Old Apr 18, 2010 | 12:17 am

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
If the plane was (is) done, it could/would get started on domestic trial flights, which it was likely to have done before starting up the international rotation. It's either done (on time), or not. The volcano is not a factor in that respect.
Old Apr 18, 2010 | 9:50 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It's April 17 and they didn't make it -- but who would have guessed back then that the reason could well be not that they were late, but that there are no flights going to LHR due to an Icelandic volcano!

Any new ETA once flights resume?
Word I heard was that it made its first test flight Thursday Apr 15 and was going to do another one Friday Apr 16.
Old Apr 18, 2010 | 9:56 am

Programs: UA *G
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL9834

April 15th test flight?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL9826

April 16th test flight?

:]
Old Apr 18, 2010 | 9:58 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Word I heard was that it made its first test flight Thursday Apr 15 and was going to do another one Friday Apr 16.
The test flights
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...227Z/KSFO/KSFO
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...017Z/KSFO/KSFO
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...617Z/KSFO/KSFO
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...922Z/KSFO/KSFO

ACARSD.org shows that it made a flight to JNB, CPT and FRA. It must be an error because the times are about the time of the above.
N794UA (B772 UA) 1911 20100416 UA9826 (CPT-JNB)
N794UA (B772 UA) 0205 20100416 UA9832 (JNB-FRA)
FRA is not a good place for a plane to be right now.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Apr 19, 2010 at 5:52 am
Old Apr 18, 2010 | 11:21 am
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
True, and it's now in the certification phase (STC).
Old Apr 18, 2010 | 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
The test flights
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...227Z/KSFO/KSFO
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...017Z/KSFO/KSFO
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...617Z/KSFO/KSFO
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...922Z/KSFO/KSFO

ACARSD.com shows that it made a flight to JNB, CPT and FRA. It must be an error because the times are about the time of the above.
N794UA (B772 UA) 1911 20100416 UA9826 (CPT-JNB)
N794UA (B772 UA) 0205 20100416 UA9832 (JNB-FRA)
FRA is not a good place for a plane to be right now.
ACARS gets confused by code-share flight numbers. Those two numbers are UA/SAA and UA/LH codeshares, respectively.

The test flights are as Flightaware has them.
Old Apr 19, 2010 | 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by worldtrav
True, and it's now in the certification phase (STC).
Cool! Any indication, how long that process might take?
Old Apr 19, 2010 | 7:39 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Yes but they can't eat their meal in a bunk. Many will eat then rest from their seat which is 2A on the reconfig 777 . I don't know any other way to explain it to you of the 8 seats they're 6-7 for pax due to the flt time and cockpit duty day. So when you see a seat map take 2A out of your wish list seat of choice on an Int'l flt.
Hi, I am booked in 2A on UA901 (747) in August Based on your above post I am wondering if I might get bumped and if perhaps I shouldn't proactively switch my seat.

Thank you.
Old Apr 19, 2010 | 8:05 am

Originally Posted by janehoya
Hi, I am booked in 2A on UA901 (747) in August Based on your above post I am wondering if I might get bumped and if perhaps I shouldn't proactively switch my seat.

Thank you.
The Pilot rest areas on int'l flights are :
On the 747 the cockpit have a rest seat and bunk inside the cockpit.
On the 767 it's seat 2K
on the 777 it's 2A and if the flt time is longer (I believe over 12hrs ) also 2K.

This is only for int'l flights.

So you will be fine flying on the 747. enjoy your flight and 2A

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.