Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

May 4: “ WestJet issues 72-hour lockout notification” and later related actions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

May 4: “ WestJet issues 72-hour lockout notification” and later related actions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2024, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by stevendorechester
I don't favor any compensation for weather delays or mechanical issues as these cannot be controlled and does lead to ticket price increases.

However cancelling flights in advance is a business decision and usually short term so the impact over the longer is minimal. Also the market would prevent one airline that seems to have a problem managing their labor issues with raising fares if they want to stay competitive.

This is true not only of WS but the industry in general. If airlines cannot manage their labor properly than shareholders should take a hit, not the clients. Funny how airlines like Qatar, Emirates, Saudia, Singapore among others never seem to have these issues because their leaders are not afraid of organized labor.
All the airlines from those countries have either very restricted union rights, or as in the case of Saudi Arabia trade unions are banned outright, so there wouldn't be any issues with organised labour, as worker rights are pretty well non-existent. Not places that I would want to be an airline worker in general.
FlyerJ, kiwiandrew, YYCguy and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 7:17 pm

Well, looks like the strike is on...
WestJet responds to the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) notice that it has commenced strike action as of today, June 28, 2024 at 7:30 pm ET.

“The government has officially stepped in to provide binding arbitration and ensure we get to a resolution; the only reason for this union to continue with a strike action is to create damage, disrupt the travel plans of thousands of Canadians over the July long weekend and to inflict significant costs on our business,” said Diederik Pen, President of WestJet Airlines and Group Chief Operating Officer. “Given arbitration has been ordered, a strike has no leverage on the arbitration’s outcome, so it is pure retaliation of a disappointed union. We are extremely outraged at these actions and will hold AMFA 100 per cent accountable for the unnecessary stress and costs incurred as a result.” 

The airline is actively and aggressively pursuing every avenue to minimize disruption, including asking for immediate intervention by the Minister of Labour and the Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB). Severe travel disruption is to be expected if the strike is not called off immediately, as the network takedown can no longer happen in the orderly manner that WestJet had originally planned.
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...-minister-s-or
Old Jun 28, 2024, 8:06 pm

We have a WestJet flight from YYZ to MCO tomorrow afternoon. We’re overnighting at MCO and catching a COPA flight to SCL the next day. I wonder how long I should wait before booking a backup flight out of DTW… 😬
Old Jun 28, 2024, 8:12 pm

Programs: Several
Code Share

I have a flight next week booked on AeroMexico ticket. It’s an AeroMexico flight number but operated by WestJet YYC-YYZ. Then connecting to an AeroMexixo flight to MEX. Just waiting to hear if AeroMexico will rebook us onto another airline. Not sure how this type of situation works.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by WestonC
I have a flight next week booked on AeroMexico ticket. It’s an AeroMexico flight number but operated by WestJet YYC-YYZ. Then connecting to an AeroMexixo flight to MEX. Just waiting to hear if AeroMexico will rebook us onto another airline. Not sure how this type of situation works.
Not sure how early in the week you're traveling, but I'd wait for some dust to settle over the weekend (or at least overnight). See what contingency plans WestJet announces and whether the government steps in again.
WestonC likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
To **** with this union.

Now that I’m following this closely, I’m beginning to see all sorts of AMFA positioning showing up in my feeds. Including many sob story posts from the union.

The essence: WestJet has offered big increases. Those increases would make AMFA the best paid in Canada. The union bosses are angry, and aggrieved, and are victims, and are horribly discriminated against because there are mechanics in one other country (not the one we live in) who make more. And they’re working hard to tell their members that they are aggrieved victims.

News flash: welcome to the real world. In my job, there are absolutely people in more than a few countries who make more than I do. There are also people in a hundred countries doing things like I do who make less than me. The fact that I don’t make the same amount as the best paid people I can find on the planet does not make me a victim.

And the union’s actions while this is in front of CIRB may be illegal. They - and their members - could face fines.

Feds: take action. End this. Get them back to work.
aerobod and CCNA like this.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Per the WS travel policy.....they wont even refund basic fares so that people can avoid being stuck....or even the vacation packages are not allowing hotel refunds....

Wow....talk about screwing over the flying public....at least AS refunded miles for hotel bookings for an entire month to not get stuck somewhere when the max 9 cancelations were in effect.....

i definitely know where the Ultrabasic fare has come from.....

Old Jun 28, 2024, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
Per the WS travel policy.....they wont even refund basic fares so that people can avoid being stuck....or even the vacation packages are not allowing hotel refunds....

Wow....talk about screwing over the flying public....at least AS refunded miles for hotel bookings for an entire month to not get stuck somewhere when the max 9 cancelations were in effect.....

i definitely know where the Ultrabasic fare has come from.....
That is not true. There is a travel waiver in effect. If you have chosen a UB fare, the travel waiver allows you to change or cancel.
Old Jun 29, 2024, 12:19 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
That is not true. There is a travel waiver in effect. If you have chosen a UB fare, the travel waiver allows you to change or cancel.
they will only issue a travel credit. Not a refund.

the hotel bookings will still incur a 200 fee too. It should be full refunds.
Old Jun 29, 2024, 5:41 am

Programs: ba silver
This has to stop. Our government needs to put an end to this. The laws need to be enforced and strengthened.

Every available employee should either be at the airport or call center rebooking with whatever option the passenger deems is best for them, with individual employees facing personal fines if they refuse to re-accommodate on the available flight.

Change the law so that strikes/lockouts that inconvenience the public are not allowed. Works in many countries. I would even go further and allow passengers to sue employees and their unions ( or managers and the airline in the case of a lockout).
Old Jun 29, 2024, 6:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
This is not an illegal strike at least for the moment. WestJet failed at the bargaining table and convinced the Minister to use his bully stick on their workers. The union didn't ask for arbitration and still retain their right to strike. So sad that grandma can't fly to Calgary this weekend but strikes inconvenience people which is why they are an important lever for labor unions seeking fair wages and working conditions.
justinyvr likes this.

Last edited by Heyden; Jun 29, 2024 at 10:42 am
Old Jun 29, 2024, 6:40 am

Grandma can't fly to calgary?

my entire European vacation hinges on this flight. An itinerary that I have made before twice without issue on AC. Had heard good things about Westjet.

no this is a private equity firm trying to extract every last dollar from its customers. I have multiple stories over past 6 months of WJ customers getting screwed
justinyvr likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2024, 6:59 am

The essence: WestJet has offered big increases. Those increases would make AMFA the best paid in Canada.

And the union’s actions while this is in front of CIRB may be illegal. They - and their members - could face fines.
Any evidence of the pay that was offered? In terms of real dollar amount and/or total compensation?

This is not an illegal strike. The minister ordered binding arbitration. He didn't order the employees to stay on the job.

As for countries that have anti labour laws. Those same countries also have many anti other group laws too.
Be careful what you wish for.
Fisch, rankourabu, aerobod and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 29, 2024, 8:56 am

WestJet must have updated their cancellation policies since the earlier posts on this thread. I was able to cancel my flight online this morning (scheduled to depart at 16:15) even though it has not *yet* been officially cancelled by WJ. A full refund will be issued (not a credit) for any itineraries from June 28–July 1.

Not thrilled about having to fly with Spirit out of Detroit instead, but I’m grateful we at least had options when so many others have none.
Old Jun 29, 2024, 9:21 am

To **** with this union.

Now that I’m following this closely, I’m beginning to see all sorts of AMFA positioning showing up in my feeds. Including many sob story posts from the union.

The essence: WestJet has offered big increases. Those increases would make AMFA the best paid in Canada. The union bosses are angry, and aggrieved, and are victims, and are horribly discriminated against because there are mechanics in one other country (not the one we live in) who make more. And they’re working hard to tell their members that they are aggrieved victims.
Hi. As you read my comment below, you will realize I have a different view than you on this matter, but please take your time and read the full story.

These AME's are working outside, in the rain, in the snow, nights, weekends, holidays, Christmas, birthdays, with biohazardous materials, noise over 110db, with mega-cancer chemicals which explicitly states it is a carcinogen, at heights over 10m over ground, maintaining and releasing aircrafts that will fly 10km over the ground at 900kmh with 200 souls on board. One critical error will cause a crater of smoldering aluminum, just to make less money than mechanics in your nearby auto dealerships?

I do not know if you felt the same way when the pandemic happened and majority of the flights were cancelled and many travel plans were ruined, or when 737 max were grounded and many flights were cancelled as a result. Did you feel the same level of anger and frustration against Boeing or the governments preventing travels? Just because these 700 or so workers working silently, day and nights behind the scenes, are easy targets?

You may not feel the sympathy for what WJ AME's are striving for but they've been negotiating with the company for months and WJ's executives most recent offer was a 1% raise?? That is literally being spat on your face. It is unfortunate for the flying public but it is time for WJ management to face their consequences of their lack of proper compensation for what these AME's do. Times of cheap and plentiful skilled labor is no longer a thing in Canada. We see news of impending strikes at Airbus Canada factory workers in Quebec, Toronto's public transit workers, LCBO, etc and its not going to get any better.
Fisch, AFlyingStart and justinyvr like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.