Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

what to wear to a Muslim wedding in a KUL Mosque

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010 | 6:24 pm
Original Poster
20 Years on Site

hi there,
Has anyone been to a wedding in a Mosque? Trying to figure out what to wear to one in Kuala Lumpur in late May. There will also be a second, larger wedding at a hotel or hall.
Any thoughts? I'll be coming from 3 days in BKK---don't know if that's long enough to have something made.
Old Mar 8, 2010 | 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Long skirt, long dress. I would ask whoever invited you for any specific advice.
Old Mar 8, 2010 | 11:38 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I found this on google...

http://weddings.about.com/cs/wedding.../religious.htm

I personally would make sure my arms and legs were covered, and wear a headscarf.
Old Mar 8, 2010 | 10:44 pm
50 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: BA GfL
Wirelessly posted (Palm Treo 650: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Legs covered, shoulders and arms covered, headscarf. That is required attire just for visiting mosques in KL (I have a very amusing photo of me from there, wearing a mosque-supplied outfit). Loose clothing will feel a lot better in this very hot country.
Old Mar 9, 2010 | 4:13 am

I've been to a Muslim wedding in the UK. On the advice of my friend (the bride) the Islamic dress code does not apply to non-Muslim women but as a courtesy don't expose arms and legs. So I wore a western style long dress and a jacket to cover my arms plus my head covered with a matching silk scarf during the actual ceremony - scarf and jacket were not needed for the festivities afterwards. Remember also you'll probably need to remove shoes too.
Old Mar 13, 2010 | 12:00 am
Suspended
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The OP may want to verify if the wedding is going to actually occur in a mosque or not. Most weddings of couples who believe in Islam don't involve the actual wedding taking place at a mosque.

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Wirelessly posted (Palm Treo 650: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Legs covered, shoulders and arms covered, headscarf. That is required attire just for visiting mosques in KL (I have a very amusing photo of me from there, wearing a mosque-supplied outfit). Loose clothing will feel a lot better in this very hot country.
Originally Posted by Capricorn
I've been to a Muslim wedding in the UK. On the advice of my friend (the bride) the Islamic dress code does not apply to non-Muslim women but as a courtesy don't expose arms and legs. So I wore a western style long dress and a jacket to cover my arms plus my head covered with a matching silk scarf during the actual ceremony - scarf and jacket were not needed for the festivities afterwards. Remember also you'll probably need to remove shoes too.
That is playing it very safely.
Old Mar 13, 2010 | 1:46 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

AND respectfully which is ^^^
Old Mar 13, 2010 | 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The OP may want to verify if the wedding is going to actually occur in a mosque or not. Most weddings of couples who believe in Islam don't involve the actual wedding taking place at a mosque.
The religious ceremony Akah Nikah is held either at the local mosque or at the bride’s home.The current trend is to hold the marriage solemnization - a brief affair - in a mosque before the highlight of the day - the wedding party and feast either at the bride's house or a banquet hall.

Women wear a “baju kurong” ( loose-fitting dress with a long tunic and skirt that goes to the ground) and a “tudong” (colorful headscarf.)

btw: I was given the following advice by my brother who used to be an expat in KL:
On the invitation will be noted the date, time and place for the "Akad Nikah" as well as wedding reception.

Even though both ceremonies are noted on the invitation, the majority of people will only attend the reception.

If you would like to attend the wedding ceremony, as this is when most of the cultural ceremonies take place, be sure to ask the person who gave you the invitation if this would be okay.

The answer will probably be "yes", but it's best to clear it first as usually a much smaller crowd or just close family members are expected to witness the actual exchange of marriage vows.

Last edited by dodo; Mar 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm
Old Mar 15, 2010 | 9:07 am
Original Poster
20 Years on Site

Thanks all---Dodo's advice is almost exactly what some of my co-workers have told me (funny, I didn't think to ask them first). The folks I questioned are all from the region---just another benefit of working for an international agency!

There are two weddings in this case, one a large reception at a venue, the other a religious ceremony in the Mosque. I was asking for information specific to the religious ceremony, I knew what was expected for the reception/ celebration of the wedding.

Originally Posted by dodo
The religious ceremony Akah Nikah is held either at the local mosque or at the brides home.The current trend is to hold the marriage solemnization - a brief affair - in a mosque before the highlight of the day - the wedding party and feast either at the bride's house or a banquet hall.

Women wear a baju kurong ( loose-fitting dress with a long tunic and skirt that goes to the ground) and a tudong (colorful headscarf.)

btw: I was given the following advice by my brother who used to be an expat in KL:
On the invitation will be noted the date, time and place for the "Akad Nikah" as well as wedding reception.

Even though both ceremonies are noted on the invitation, the majority of people will only attend the reception.

If you would like to attend the wedding ceremony, as this is when most of the cultural ceremonies take place, be sure to ask the person who gave you the invitation if this would be okay.

The answer will probably be "yes", but it's best to clear it first as usually a much smaller crowd or just close family members are expected to witness the actual exchange of marriage vows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.