Wiki Posts
Search

Dominican All Inclusive Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019 | 4:27 pm
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by TTT103
According to TPG, the Viva’s are leaving Wyndham Rewards effective June 1, 2019. Reservations made prior to that date will be honored.

Do you have a link to this news ?

Our November 30 - December 7 is still showing on the Wyndham Website so hopefully we are ok as our return flight on AA can only be changed if it's the same route and we paid for First Class and laydown seats PUJ/CLT

Our CLT/MSP leg is on a MAX 8 so hopefully that is taken care of soon

We booked MSP/PUJ today on Southwest.

Now to book the shuttle and we should be all set.

Our incoming flight arrives at 4pm so I'm going to pass on the fast track through customs as we won't be at the resort in time to enjoy the sun that day.

Our departing flight is at 3:50 pm and Super Shuttle says they pick us up at the hotel at 12:15 so I'm guessing that is enough time.

Thanks for all of your help.

Last edited by flyer4512; May 30, 2019 at 5:02 pm
Old Jun 2, 2019 | 3:16 pm
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Do you have a link to this news ?

Our November 30 - December 7 is still showing on the Wyndham Website so hopefully we are ok as our return flight on AA can only be changed if it's the same route and we paid for First Class and laydown seats PUJ/CLT

Our CLT/MSP leg is on a MAX 8 so hopefully that is taken care of soon

We booked MSP/PUJ today on Southwest.

Now to book the shuttle and we should be all set.

Our incoming flight arrives at 4pm so I'm going to pass on the fast track through customs as we won't be at the resort in time to enjoy the sun that day.

Our departing flight is at 3:50 pm and Super Shuttle says they pick us up at the hotel at 12:15 so I'm guessing that is enough time.

Thanks for all of your help.
You have nothing to be concerned about regarding the change. The Viva's are still part of Wyndham; however, they are no longer part of Wyndham Rewards. They are honoring all reward reservations made prior to June 1, 2019, so you're good to go. Moving forward, they no longer permit reward redemptions or the earning of Wyndham Reward points. Other than that, it should be business as usual.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/wyndha...ve-properties/

I hate to advise for or against expedited entry services, but we have never had a long delay at PUJ. ​​​​​​​

In terms of your return shuttle, that is more than plenty of time. No worries! You'll have quite a bit of time on your hands at the airport.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019 | 7:51 pm
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

These deaths in La Romana have me a bit concerned as well as the 2 beatings...............

https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...-werner-2019-6

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/miranda...ed-2019-06-05/
Old Jun 7, 2019 | 5:41 am
20 Years on Site

These deaths in La Romana have me a bit concerned as well as the 2 beatings...............

https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...-werner-2019-6

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/miranda...ed-2019-06-05/
The deaths and illnesses were at the Gran Bahia, and were likely the result of pesticides being drawn into guest rooms due to improper spraying near/on the individual guest room air conditioning units. In terms of the beatings, we have stayed in LaRomana/Bayahibe numerous times, and find the area to be safe. However, like any place, tourists need to use their heads. Walking around outside the Viva complex with a purse dangling from your shoulder or a gold chain around your neck is welcoming attention.
Old Jun 7, 2019 | 12:19 pm
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

The deaths and illnesses were at the Gran Bahia, and were likely the result of pesticides being drawn into guest rooms due to improper spraying near/on the individual guest room air conditioning units. In terms of the beatings, we have stayed in LaRomana/Bayahibe numerous times, and find the area to be safe. However, like any place, tourists need to use their heads. Walking around outside the Viva complex with a purse dangling from your shoulder or a gold chain around your neck is welcoming attention.

I asked American a question about our MAx 8 leg CLT/MSP and for some reason they cancelled the flight

May be a sign, we may just go to Key West. Thanks for all the time you took to answer my questions
Old Jun 9, 2019 | 8:12 am
20 Years on Site

I asked American a question about our MAx 8 leg CLT/MSP and for some reason they cancelled the flight

May be a sign, we may just go to Key West. Thanks for all the time you took to answer my questions
I am so sorry! Did they not place you on another aircraft, as I know they were trying to consolidate flights when canceling Max flights? I'm on an Airbus 320 next month to PUJ, so should be good to go.

The 15K Wyndham point redemption was a great deal on the all-inclusive, and I'd hate to see you lose it. Did American offer you any other option or connection?
Old Jun 10, 2019 | 2:37 pm
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

I am so sorry! Did they not place you on another aircraft, as I know they were trying to consolidate flights when canceling Max flights? I'm on an Airbus 320 next month to PUJ, so should be good to go.

The 15K Wyndham point redemption was a great deal on the all-inclusive, and I'd hate to see you lose it. Did American offer you any other option or connection?
Wyndham refunded my 105K points, AA and Southwest refunded our flight miles

Now that David Ortiz was shot in the DR I bet they lose a lot of business.

We'll be much more comfortable in Key West and can transfer the Wyndham points to Caesars or use them for Hawaii as the property we were looking a on Waikiki beach stayed at 15 k.

Thanks for taking the time to explain about the DR
Old Jun 11, 2019 | 10:42 am
20 Years on Site

Wyndham refunded my 105K points, AA and Southwest refunded our flight miles

Now that David Ortiz was shot in the DR I bet they lose a lot of business.

We'll be much more comfortable in Key West and can transfer the Wyndham points to Caesars or use them for Hawaii as the property we were looking a on Waikiki beach stayed at 15 k.

Thanks for taking the time to explain about the DR
I'm glad you were able to have everything refunded, and am so sorry that the trip did not work out. Key West is a nice alternative. We most recently were in Key West last August. While not the greatest of beaches, there is still quite a bit to do. Enjoy!
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019 | 12:43 pm
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

I'm glad you were able to have everything refunded, and am so sorry that the trip did not work out. Key West is a nice alternative. We most recently were in Key West last August. While not the greatest of beaches, there is still quite a bit to do. Enjoy!
We are staying across from the Beach at the Sheraton in KW, I see water sports, etc so we'll see how it goes.

DR gets scarier every day, I'm very happy that we changed our plans.

If you enjoy it I'm sure the cost to travel and stay in DR is going to drop so that works out for you.
Old Jun 19, 2019 | 5:27 pm
20 Years on Site

We are staying across from the Beach at the Sheraton in KW, I see water sports, etc so we'll see how it goes.

DR gets scarier every day, I'm very happy that we changed our plans.

If you enjoy it I'm sure the cost to travel and stay in DR is going to drop so that works out for you.
I know exactly where you are staying in Key West. You are right across the road from Smathers Beach, which is a really nice beach. Have a great time. There is so much to do in Key West, and they have some really nice restaurants.

Yes, we are still on for the DR. We've been there too many times for the current events to scare us off. They have the same challenges on other islands. It's just that the DR seems to be getting all of the attention, as of late. Plus, due to the overbuilding of resorts, rates are low compared to other islands, which is attracting an interesting crowd at some of the resorts. The Wyndham Viva's are Italian owned, so the clientele tends to be mostly Europeans, which tends to be much more laid back than the backward baseball cap wearing Americans that park themselves at swim-up bars. Regardless, yes, I would agree that rates are going to start dropping. However, I'm not so sure that I will return to the Viva's now that they are no longer part of Wyndham Rewards. I really liked earning points for my stays.
flyer4512 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.