Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Canarsie
ATL-HPN-LGA-ATL-DTW-YYZ-FCO-LCA-BEY-LCA-MXP-STR-MXP-YYZ-DTW-DCA-DTW-ATL...
Certainly impresses me!!! ^

What do you estimate the cost of this Mileage Run Supreme™ ??

And how many miles were gained??
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'd trade Canarsie's trip for mine any day -- especially as I really enjoy great drives through hills & mountains and the countryside.
OMG, I do, too! And I didn't realize how much until I had some chances to drive around parts of the continent over the last 3 years or so. (I never really felt I knew Mexico until I had a chance to do a bit of a driving trip, and even so, it was pretty limited.)

Here in southern AZ, I am lucky to have a buddy who likes to drive the secondary, tertiary and backroad routes. I have been in and out of the mountains, so many ranges, but the Santa Ritas are my fave.

The road to Whipple Observatory was very very scary even though it's well maintained, but the one to Mt. Lemmon and Summerhaven are easy and so beautiful. Driving out to the various ghost-towns on the primitive roads and over wash-outs and through creeks has been a lot of fun.

The sad thing is the signs on even the most isolated roads.... Travel Caution: Smuggling and Illegal Immigration may be encountered in this area.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by tkey75
Do share your secret for juicing a pomegranite. I want a pomtini right now!
Actually, I kind of followed something that scoow suggested (or from a friend of hers?).

Anyway, I bought a 99 cent plastic orange juicer - you know, the one where you cut the fruit in half and then push down and turn to juice it and it has some slots at the bottom to catch the juice in a lower dish....??? Well, I tried just cutting the pom in half and juiced it like an orange only I squish it a little differently, and I do it in the bottom of the sink with a cutting board resting across the top so it doesn't spatter too much. It takes a fraction of the time and it doesn't produce that much less juice - I estimate I get about 15 to 20% less juice this way, but it is 10 times faster!!!!!

As long as I can find the poms on sale, I am doing it this way!!!!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:56 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by tkey75
I've never had a home made egg nog.
What's exactly in the egg nog?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:07 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cholula
Certainly impresses me!!! ^

What do you estimate the cost of this Mileage Run Supreme™ ??

And how many miles were gained??
I was supposed to meet Lehava north of Scranton after I drove there from White Plains in New York, but she had to catch a flight early next morning and was unavailable. I was at a customer in Wilkes-Barre for three days.

The Larnaca-Beirut round-trip flight was the most expensive flight, at approximately US$300.00.

The business class flights on Alitalia and Cyprus Airways between Toronto and Larnaca was slightly more than US$180.00, including taxes, fees and expedited shipping of the paper tickets — and it was the least expensive of all of the itineraries, of which there were at least four.

I also had the pleasure of sampling the Alitalia business class seat on a Boeing 777 on an overnight flight from Toronto to Rome. It was comfortable enough that I was sorry the flight ended, as I easily could have slept longer.

Alitalia treated me as though I paid full price for that itinerary, on each aircraft as well as in the lounges. I was quite pleased.

As for the drive, I traveled with chrissxb in a rented mini-van from his home in France. We stopped at a rest area near Stuttgart because his mother met us and brought us a picnic lunch to enjoy, including large soft pretzels and orange juice — and the weather was sunny and warm.

After meeting rcs85551 at his office in Munich, we then had dinner that evening.

The next morning, we went to the airport in Munich and met up with myefre and jimquan. We then drove from Munich through Austria into Slovenia and on to our final destination in Ljubljana for the Who Will Be The Next FlyerTalk Member To Post? An OMNI Game LIVE and In Person:LJU DO.

Guess who came up with that wacky idea for a destination?!?

Yes — you guessed it.

During the Who Will Be The Next FlyerTalk Member To Post? An OMNI Game LIVE and In Person:ELP DO, while we were all in Ciudad Juΰrez, Mexico, chrissxb asked me to which obscure place should we meet next.

I simply shrugged my shoulders and innocently said “Slovenia?!?”, not being completely serious.

The next thing I knew, chrissxb took control and organized practically everything.

After Ljubljana, we drove to Opatija in Croatia, spent the rest of the afternoon there and stayed overnight in a hotel that had a great view as it overlooked the Adriatic Sea.

The next morning, we drove back through Italy and Austria back into Germany. We dropped myefre off at the airport in Munich, where after I spotted a sign pointing towards Dachau. I asked chrissxb and jimquan if they would mind if I visited Dachau. They were absolutely accommodating.

Up until that point, it was sunny T-shirt weather in Europe. When I visited Dachau, it was cold, rainy, cloudy, dreary and windy — perfect to set the somber mood of visiting one of the world’s most notorious concentration camps. I was the first to enter Dachau that morning, and I was alone for quote a while.

I am not ashamed to admit my eyes were not exactly dry. It was an absolutely incredible experience. I had my camera going and took many photographs.

We then had dinner that evening at a steakhouse in Stuttgart with ralfkrippner.

I then returned to the United States to Washington, D.C. to attend the fourth meeting of FlyerTalk moderators, but by this point I was feeling awful with a horrible cold. I am proud to say that all of the Delta forum moderators were in attendance. At one point during the meeting, that danged Rssrsvp made me drink this vile concoction of hot water, lemon and honey — and he laughed fiendishly as he watched me suffer through drinking that swill. “Drink it!”, he kept saying. Blech!!!

So, that is the abbreviated synopsis of my month-long trip.

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 5, 2006 at 10:15 pm
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by skchin
Ingredients:
6 large Egg
1 cup Powdered sugar
750 ml Dark rum, brandy or bourbon
4 cups Whipping cream
1/2 cup peach or apricot Brandy
Freshly ground Nutmeg
Mixing instructions:
Separate eggs and refrigerate the whites. Beat ylks until light in color. Gradually beat in sugar, then slowly beat in 1 cup of rum. Let stand covered for atleast 1 hr. Add rest of liquor, cream, and peack brandy, beating constantly. Refrigerate, covered, for 3 hours. Beat egg whites until stiff, fold in. Serve sprinkled with nutmeg. Serve in a punch bowl or inject it for a faster buzz.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by skchin
Every recipe is different, but it's usually some combination of eggs (separate & whip the white), sugar (often powdered sugar), cream, nutmeg, and alcohol (whisky, rum or whatever).

Edit to add: MRKEY beat me to it -- and with a full recipe!

Last edited by scoow; Dec 5, 2006 at 10:17 pm Reason: to note that MRKEY beat me to it.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:35 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Sounds like a pain in the butt. How long does it take to burn off 1 drink?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:32 am

Programs: DL-DM/MM,Marriott-Lifetime Platinum, Hertz#1 Gold 5 Star President's Club
Newbie saying Hello

And Happy Holidays to All...

I have lurked at FlyerTalk for years but finally registered this morning. I'm based in Atlanta and have been flying DL for almost 20 years. Currently a PM and about 100K short of Million Miler. Over the years I was a PM for about 4 and a GM for 3-4 years or so.

I'm hoping to be an active member on the DL threads and offer my experiences both good and bad for the perusal of all interested. Hopefully I'll learn a few things from those of you who travel way more than I do.

Thanks...

metro
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:45 am

Programs: DL, AA
atlmetroguy - Welcome to Flyertalk & the Delta Forum Lounge! Looking forward to your contributions - both serious questions and responses, and some not-so-serious here in The Lounge™.

Lehava - How was the first flight? I hope everything went well.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:04 am

Programs: DL-DM/MM,Marriott-Lifetime Platinum, Hertz#1 Gold 5 Star President's Club
Originally Posted by scoow
atlmetroguy - Welcome to Flyertalk & the Delta Forum Lounge! Looking forward to your contributions - both serious questions and responses, and some not-so-serious here in The Lounge™.

Lehava - How was the first flight? I hope everything went well.
Hi Scoow...thanks for the welcome!! Well serious posts will be well...serious!! I do love flying on DL but they are serious trying my patience these days!!!

As for non serious...there will be plenty!!!
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
atlmetroguy - Welcome to Flyertalk !
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by atlmetroguy
Hi Scoow...thanks for the welcome!! Well serious posts will be well...serious!! I do love flying on DL but they are serious trying my patience these days!!!

As for non serious...there will be plenty!!!
Heh. If you have been lurking in this place as long as you say you have, you'd realize that we are all business here and this is neither the time or place for jokesters. No one here ever has any fun and usually it's wallowing in the tragedy that is the frequent business flyer's life.

Welcome to The Lounge, altmetroguy
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:34 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by atlmetroguy
And Happy Holidays to All...

I have lurked at FlyerTalk for years but finally registered this morning. I'm based in Atlanta and have been flying DL for almost 20 years. Currently a PM and about 100K short of Million Miler. Over the years I was a PM for about 4 and a GM for 3-4 years or so.

I'm hoping to be an active member on the DL threads and offer my experiences both good and bad for the perusal of all interested. Hopefully I'll learn a few things from those of you who travel way more than I do.

Thanks...

metro
atlmetroguy..A very warm welcome to FlyerTalk and the good company over here on the DL Lounge. Happy Holidays and do get that 100K next year.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:53 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to The Lounge, atlmetroguy. Glad you decided to register and join us here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.