Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning Prime Time Shuttle@ LAX- safety and fraudulent charge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Warning Prime Time Shuttle@ LAX- safety and fraudulent charge

During the winter weather problems last week we found ourselves flying from BWI-LAX although our original destination was SNA- Flights on the connection were full and we opted for the Prime TimeShuttle-(there were no rental cars) The driver spent most of his driving time readung text mesages @ 75 mph and the icing on the cake came with our credit card bill which had a charge of 345 USD although our signed receipt was 45 USD.

We contacted amex- so that won't be a problem but just a warning to others.

Last edited by naxos; Feb 24, 2007 at 9:13 am Reason: mistake
Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:55 am
In memoriam

There was a lawsuit against PrimeTime at LAX a few years ago for its trying to use a big hunk of the public area as its private pickup spot. Even went so far as to threaten members of the public with arrest if they dared to sit there.

I am always amazed that folks take the shuttles at LAX. The service is not good (who wants to be fifth or sixth one dropped off on the way home). And, I have heard that various shuttle companies do not have adequate insurance and refuse to pay accident claims even when their liability is clear. If the drivers are reading text messages while driving, even more reason to stay away.

Shuttle taking can be dangerous. See this thread. http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=662107

Last edited by biggestbopper; Feb 24, 2007 at 10:14 am
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
There was a lawsuit against PrimeTime at LAX a few years ago for its trying to use a big hunk of the public area as its private pickup spot. Even went so far as to threaten members of the public with arrest if they dared to sit there.

I am always amazed that folks take the shuttles at LAX. The service is not good (who wants to be fifth or sixth one dropped off on the way home). And, I have heard that various shuttle companies do not have adequate insurance and refuse to pay accident claims even when their liability is clear. If the drivers are reading text messages while driving, even more reason to stay away.

Shuttle taking can be dangerous. See this thread. http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=662107
I avoid shuttles everywhere these days. It's been taken over by the characters who aren't ethical enough to qualify as cab drivers.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Took SuperShuttle quiet often and was always satisfied... Anyways there ar 2 other options besides this:

If you under time pressure, well then a cab is your friend

If you have all the time of the world there is even the Fly2LAX bus !

Cheers,
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Took SuperShuttle quiet often and was always satisfied... Anyways there ar 2 other options besides this:

If you under time pressure, well then a cab is your friend

If you have all the time of the world there is even the Fly2LAX bus !
Do you mean the Union Station LAX FlyAway? I love that service and can't gush enough over it. ^

My profile used to state my location as BUR, as that airport is far closer to my apartment than is LAX. But, I would often wind up flying out of LAX more often than BUR, as fares are usually cheaper and itins are more likely to be non-stop than out of BUR. Rides to and from the airport were almost always on SuperShuttle. And, of course, I was at the mercy of their schedule each time. The only saving grace for it was that due to my location in Pasadena, California, I was usually the first one dropped off and last one picked up.

However, I changed the location in my profile, as the LAX FlyAway has completely changed my airport preferences! I now prefer LAX to BUR (); the LAX FlyAway has lowered the overhead of getting to LAX so significantly that it is now more convenient for me to get to LAX than BUR. I just hop on the gold line, take that to Union Station and take the FlyAway from there -- all for only $4.25, compared to the $28 + tip.

And, it's faster! When all of the connections are smooth it takes ~1 hour to get to the airport; when they're not smooth it's ~1 hour, 20 minutes. Sure, the SuperShuttle ride can be as quick as 40 minutes, but when you take into account the fact that they pick you up way in advance and that you're on their schedule, I think the Metro-FlyAway option saves time.

So, let's see. I've got that the Metro-LAX FlyAway option is:
- much cheaper,
- quicker,
- more convenient,
- and, of course, safer.
The only possible occasions I can think of to take the SuperShuttle is when my flight lands too late (~11:00pm if I haven't checked baggage, ~10:40pm if I have) or I'm flying in and out of BUR (I have no car). Aside from that why on Earth would I ever take the SuperShuttle ever again??? No more waiting ~45 minutes for a Pasadena-bound SuperShuttle! Good riddance!
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:20 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by iapetus
Do you mean the Union Station LAX FlyAway? I love that service and can't gush enough over it. ^

My profile used to state my location as BUR, as that airport is far closer to my apartment than is LAX. But, I would often wind up flying out of LAX more often than BUR, as fares are usually cheaper and itins are more likely to be non-stop than out of BUR. Rides to and from the airport were almost always on SuperShuttle. And, of course, I was at the mercy of their schedule each time. The only saving grace for it was that due to my location in Pasadena, California, I was usually the first one dropped off and last one picked up.

However, I changed the location in my profile, as the LAX FlyAway has completely changed my airport preferences! I now prefer LAX to BUR (); the LAX FlyAway has lowered the overhead of getting to LAX so significantly that it is now more convenient for me to get to LAX than BUR. I just hop on the gold line, take that to Union Station and take the FlyAway from there -- all for only $4.25, compared to the $28 + tip.

And, it's faster! When all of the connections are smooth it takes ~1 hour to get to the airport; when they're not smooth it's ~1 hour, 20 minutes. Sure, the SuperShuttle ride can be as quick as 40 minutes, but when you take into account the fact that they pick you up way in advance and that you're on their schedule, I think the Metro-FlyAway option saves time.

So, let's see. I've got that the Metro-LAX FlyAway option is:
- much cheaper,
- quicker,
- more convenient,
- and, of course, safer.
The only possible occasions I can think of to take the SuperShuttle is when my flight lands too late (~11:00pm if I haven't checked baggage, ~10:40pm if I have) or I'm flying in and out of BUR (I have no car). Aside from that why on Earth would I ever take the SuperShuttle ever again??? No more waiting ~45 minutes for a Pasadena-bound SuperShuttle! Good riddance!
Live in LA County and do not have a car. Is that allowed?

Last edited by Lonely Flyer; Mar 4, 2007 at 2:05 pm Reason: Nitpicker
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I live in southern california and drive 99% of the time to/from the airport.

My last experience with a shuttle at LAX was a few years ago and it involved several loops around the terminals trolling for more passengers before we got on the road.

I was so irritated that I asked to be let off at the next terminal if he was planning to make another loop.

Is this common practice? And does this still go on? the time involved/wasted on this is ridiculous not to mention the overall exhaust fumes and congestion in the terminal area.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:37 pm
In memoriam

I believe this trolling is theoretically prohibited, along with a lot of other things which, nonetheless, are commonly done. The shuttles pay a franchise fee to the airport (although rumor has it that they don't always pay on time or in full) and appear to believe this allows them to get away with a lot of things.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:47 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by OskiBear
My last experience with a shuttle at LAX was a few years ago and it involved several loops around the terminals trolling for more passengers before we got on the road.

I was so irritated that I asked to be let off at the next terminal if he was planning to make another loop.

Is this common practice? And does this still go on? the time involved/wasted on this is ridiculous not to mention the overall exhaust fumes and congestion in the terminal area.
THIS MAY HAVE CHANGED

I hate shuttles, a co-worker took a Super Shuttle last and the driver was FALLING ASLEEP while driving. To the point where he was driving off the road, head down. My co-worker said he had to yell and kick the seat several times to wake him up, and asked to be let off, but the driver just kept apologizing and saying he didn't want to lose his job.

Scary stuff. My experience is that the drivers are of extremely poor ability.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
Live in LA and do not have a car. Is that allowed?
Well, I actually reside in Pasadena, California, not Los Angeles, California. So, I guess I could get off on a technicality!
Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I can't wait until they finally start up service from OC (apparently from the Irvine Metrolink station).
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:06 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Well, I actually reside in Pasadena, California, not Los Angeles, California. So, I guess I could get off on a technicality!
Have amended
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I can't wait until they finally start up service from OC (apparently from the Irvine Metrolink station).
Ears perk up.

Are you saying there will be a shuttle from Irvine Metrolink to LAX?
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Ears perk up.

Are you saying there will be a shuttle from Irvine Metrolink to LAX?
I need to find the source again, but they said they would set up a FlyAway station with checkin for baggage (a la Van Nuys) from the Irvine Metrolink to LAX sometime in the coming months.

I'll be back when I find it....

EDIT - Found something (but not the source I read before... http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1306420.php )... according to this article, it's a new Metrolink station to be built in Irvine, on the former El Toro Marine Base.

Last edited by IceTrojan; Mar 4, 2007 at 6:25 pm
Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA Blue forever!
We have been satisfied with Super Shuttle except when it was once late in picking us up and then wanted to make another stop-I pointed out that we really didn't have enough time. For LAX international flights they now insist on picking you up close to 4 hours ahead of flight time! And LAX, as we all know, is not a nice airport to hang around in. As for the return pickup, we don't reserve as we're never sure about the true arrival time of an international 12 hour flight. I believe that Super Shuttle is allowed to troll 3 times around the LAX track. Metrolink from Irvine would be a start but what about PAX from the Costa Mesa/Huntington Beach area? Most large cities of the world have some type of public transportation to their international airport. We're tired of paying over $55 each way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.