Wiki Posts
Search

CBP keeping the country safe!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:25 am
Original Poster

CBP keeping the country safe!

Amazing: http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/11/14...uck/index.html

A Canadian firetruck responding with lights and sirens to a weekend fire in Rouses Point, New York, was stopped at the U.S. border for about eight minutes, U.S. border officials said Tuesday.

Fire officials battling the blaze called for help from fire departments in nearby Quebec, using a longstanding and often-used mutual aid agreement. But the first truck that arrived at the small Rouses Point border crossing was delayed as officials checked documentation of the firefighters and their truck, officials confirmed.

ID checks are apparently required for fighting fires under a long-standing cross-border mutual-aid agreement.

Do you want to fly, ahem, burn today???
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:47 am
Suspended

Each time you read a story like this, whether it's related to the TSA or CPB, you wonder "Can it get any worse?" And each time it does get worse. Will it never end?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:47 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, United 1K, Continental Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Platinum
It doesn't surprise me...stupidity from both the US and CDN sides at the border seems to be the status quo.

Hopefully karma will kick in if they ever need a quick response to their homes...
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:59 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Better safe than scorched!"
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
"Better safe than scorched!"
This story really burns my @$$.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:53 pm

"The terrorists are coming, where's my pen?" -Boston Legal-
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Canadian firetruck responding to U.S. call held up at border

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/14/bor...uck/index.html

(CNN) -- A Canadian firetruck responding with lights and sirens to a weekend fire in Rouses Point, New York, was stopped at the U.S. border for about eight minutes, U.S. border officials said Tuesday.

Fire officials battling the blaze called for help from fire departments in nearby Quebec, using a longstanding and often-used mutual aid agreement. But the first truck that arrived at the small Rouses Point border crossing was delayed as officials checked documentation of the firefighters and their truck, officials confirmed.
Laughing stock of the world.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Also being discussed in OMNI:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757127
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:28 pm

A U.S. Customs and Border Protection official said the eight-minute delay at the Rouses Point crossing was caused "when one of the firefighters' admissibility was brought into question." He declined to elaborate, citing immigration and privacy laws.

Kevin Corsaro of the border protection's Buffalo field office said the agency's primary responsibility is to protect the homeland.
I'd be willing to bet that if it were his house that they were responding to, that he'd let them through without any question.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Thanks. I only saw that after posting.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

And here... http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757136 ... Mods, time to close all these and refer to OMNI?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
What was the quote I heard recently? Something like
We're not here for anyone's individual safety or protection, we're here to protect the government"
or something like that.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:15 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by doober
Each time you read a story like this, whether it's related to the TSA or CPB, you wonder "Can it get any worse?" And each time it does get worse. Will it never end?

I was pretty much thinking the same.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doober
Sadly, I think it's going to take at least a generation. This generation has its panties too far done up in a wad.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:32 am
Suspended

If they didn't do this, it would make for a large very easy way to smuggle a few tons of goods across the border would it not? It's not as if this is a normal occurance. I've crossed at the border points in Quebec about 50 times. I have never heard or seen any fire trucks racing for the border. The border police were doing their due diligence. Searching a truck, checking the ID's of all aboard and running the plate in 8 minutes isn't bad. The article doesn't note if this has happened before, how long it usually takes, etc. It still is a vehicle coming from another country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.