Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Palm Springs Gayla V: April 4-6, 2008: DESPERATE FLYERTALK HOUSEWIVES!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!

Ahhh... Palm Springs!

THE FIFTH ANNUAL PALM SPRINGS FLYERTALK GAYLA!
APRIL 4-6, 2008!

PLEASE NOTE: The original, definitive thread is in the GLBT Forum. Of course, the first post is identical but usually you can read more... ummm.. errr... "off-color" remarks in that thread than this one.
=================================================

LIGHTS COME UP. SLOWLY. SWEETLY. CUE MUSIC.

Desperate FLYERTALK Housewives - Episode 01.01 - Pilot

An Ensemble Cast

Overview of a nice, upscale neighborhood. Birds are chirping, people are basking in the sunlight, sitting on park benches, checking their mileage balances and calling the 1K line trying for that last-minute upgrade. This is HYSTERIA LANE.

Focus on a house where a man scurries around inside, carrying various luggage. The camera zooms in through a window. The man’s voice is the one in the voiceover:

"My name is GoodKarmaGuy. When you read this morning's Community Forum, you may come across an article about the unusual day I had last week. Normally, there is never anything newsworthy about my life. Especially since I stopped flying and traveling for work. But that all changed last Thursday."

As he talks, we see snippets of what he's describing.

"Of course, everything seemed quite normal at first. I made breakfast. I performed my chores. I completed my projects. I ran my errands. In truth, I spent the day as I spent every other day, quietly polishing the routine of my life. Until it gleamed with perfection. That's why it was so astonishing when I decided to go to my hallway closet and retrieve a United Coupon that had never been used."

Mary Alice holds the gun to her head and pulls the trigger. The gun goes off and in the reflection of a mirror, Mary Alice falls to the floor.

We hear the man’s voiceover again:

Errrrrr... wrong script... ummmm... let’s see, Desperate FlyerTalkers... Desperate FlyerTalkers.. Ahhh...here:

GoodKarmaGuy holds the coupon to the light and gasps. “EXPIRED!” The coupon falls to the floor in slow motion and in the reflection of a mirror, GoodKarmaGuy falls to the floor with a cry.

A woman reaches down into a pile of red, blood-like liquid, dips her finger into it, and raises it to her lips to taste it, then turns to look out her window when she hears the cry. The voiceover continues.:

"My body was discovered by my neighbor, See Ya, who had been startled by a strange cry and moaning sound. Her curiosity aroused, See Ya tried to think of a reason for dropping in on me unannounced."

See Ya goes to her hallway closet and removes a blender that has a label on it reading "Property of GoodKarmaGuy."

She leaves her house and hurries over next door.

"After some initial hesitation, she decided to return the blender she borrowed six months before. "After all", See Ya muses, "GoodKarmaGuy might switch from Martinis this year to Frozen Daiquiris at the Palm Springs Gayla!"

See Ya goes to the front door and rings the bell, waits, then rings it again. She then goes around the house and peeks through a window. Seeing GoodKarmaGuy on the floor, she screams and rushes back to her house to call FlyBalletGuy..

"It's GoodKarmaGuy! I think he’s dead.. There's luggage everywhere! And I glimpsed a coupon on the floor. Yes, you've got to send someone. You've got to send Viajero Joven right now!"

She hangs up. Cut to a NYC theater foyer with a bewildered FlyBalletGuy looking at his cell phone.

"And for a moment, See Ya stood motionless in her kitchen, grief-stricken by this senseless tragedy. But only for a moment."

See Ya turns to look at the blender with its label firmly attached.

"And if there's one thing See Ya was known for..."

See Ya tears off the label on the blender.

"...it was her ability to look on the bright side."

She puts the blender back in her new Tumi bag, the one with rollers. After all, IluvParis has been promising a return to the Gayla and HE knows how to make those damn frozen drinks.

Many people go to GoodKarmaGuy's house, dressed solemnly.

"I was severely dressed down on Monday. After the talking to, about EXPIRED COUPONS, all the residents of HYSTERIA Lane came to pay their respects. And as people do in these situations, they brought food. missydarlin brought fried chicken."

missydarlin rings GoodKarmaGuy's front doorbell, caring a large platter of chicken, looking happy to see her old friends.

"Missy had a great family recipe for fried chicken. Of course, she didn't cook much while she was climbing up the corporate ladder. Besides, she was preoccupied with her kids in Hawaii. I mean she was WITH her kids in Hawaii, she didn’t leave them in Hawaii and then become preoccupied with.... oh, never mind."

Flashback to missydarlin in a boardroom, giving a fried chicken to a group of people. Then flash forward to the present time, missydarlin walking down the sidewalk, holding the chicken platter and pushing a stroller. As she walks, her other eight children, all little boys, two of whom are twins, walk in front of the stroller, the twins pushing each other as they walk.

"But missydarlin's life had become so hectic, she was now forced to get her fried chicken from a fast food restaurant. One would have appreciated the irony if one stopped to think about it."

“The great irony, too, is that like kids and like the ever arguing twins, FlyerTalkers are engaged in a tussle of the wills at the Palm Springs Gayla V. Yes, I mean the Sunday Brunch Gift Swap."

peteropny has had enough of holtju2's XXX rated videos: "Listen to me. You are going to behave today. I will not going to be humiliated in front of the entire Flyertalk community. And, just so you know how serious I am..." [peteropny pulls a piece of paper out of his jacket].

The twins, StSebastian and bluesincenew, ask in unison,"What's that?"

peteropny: "Santa's cell phone number."
lisamcgu: "How'd you get that?"
peteropny: "I know someone who knows danhammer53 who knows an elf. And if any of you acts up, so help me, I will call Santa and tell him you want coach seating for Christmas. Are you willing to risk that?"

All the FlyerTalkers shake their heads no.

He straightens up. "All right, let's get this over with. START THE SWAP!"

The camera pans to a man in a sleeveless muscle shirt, standing outside of a beautiful house. He turns to watch his gorgeous husband hurry down the steps to meet him.

We hear the voice over
:

"olafman, who lives down the block, brought a spicy paella and a set of pecs to my house. Paella always cheers me up"

Flashback to when olafman was younger, walking down the runway as a fashion model.

"Since his modeling days in WeHo, olafman had developed a taste for fun food and fun men."

Flashback to a restaurant, where olafman and bigguyinpasadena are having dinner.

"Bigguypasadena, who worked in mergers and acquisitions, was setting up a car pool to The Palm Springs gayla. Organizing is his strong suit.. olafman was touched when tears welled up in his eyes. But he soon discovered that this happened every time bigguyinpasadena organized something."

The door to the GoodKarmaGuy’s's house opens to show a well-groomed young man standing outside. He's holding two baskets full of baked goods.

"fooko2002, who lives next door, brought baskets of muffins he baked from scratch. fooko2002 was known for his cooking, and for taking off his clothes, and for having many, many drag queen friends. Even Tommy Hilfiger was rumored to be a friend. And he’s not a drag queen. They say. Yes, fooko2002's many talents were known throughout the neighborhood. And everyone on HYSTERIA Lane thought of fooko2002 as the perfect party guest. Everyone, that is, except the other handsome young boys."

fooko2002 walks in, with Wireless following, hardly looking up from his iPhone.

Wireless is carrying a silver tray of Grey Goose martinis with aluminum foil covering them. The foil comes off the glasses and he has to grab it before it flies away. Noone even notices nroscoe sneaking a martini off the tray.

"Wireless, who lives across the street, was forever being teased by FlyerTalkers, saying it was the only thing he knew how to cook, but he did make them well.

While friends gather ‘round GoodKarmaGuy consoling him on the loss of his coupon, there are various flashback to treasured memories of old Gaylas in Palm Springs: The unknown woman passed out on the River Rocks at the Villas; Mom, Larry, Good KarmaGuy , StSebastian and bluesincenew going up the tram; Norma getting lost for an hour at Beer Bust in the Barracks; jockdaddy’s hosting at The Red Tomato, now a tradition gone to the wayside; pool side massages; missydarlin in a sarong(!); suitless swims at the Villas; topless swims at the villas(!); drag queens; strippers; great venues and not-so-great venues.

In present time, peteropny interrupts GoodKarmaGuy’'s memories, saying that the jacuzzi needs fixing, as he can't face doing it himself. KenCT agrees. GoodKarmaGuy asks if he's okay. KenCt tells him,
"Just fix the jacuzzi, buster."

But GoodKarmaGuy knows that KentCt is just a big softy.

This is, after all, FlyerTalk life on HYSTERIA Lane.

~ The End ~

================================================== =====
================================================== =====
To see what all the fuss is about, view the first post and perhaps the last page or two of posts
for these past Palm Springs Gaylas:

Palm Springs Gayla IV, 2007 (The “reviews” start on page 8 or so I think.)

Palm Springs Gayla III, 2006 and some more reviews of Palm Springs Gayla III.

Palm Springs Gayla II, 2005 and, if I do say so myself, a very good thread of reviews!

And lastly, Palm Springs Gayla I, 2004, (which, at the time, we didn’t know was #1!). And the reviews are here.

Whew.

================================================== =
SCHEDULE:

Thursday Night: Early bird arrivals usually meet for dinner and drinks and then go to the FREE Thursday Night Street Festival in Palm Springs. 7pmish.

Palm Springs World Famous Annual Friday Night Martini Party 830pm: This year DesertDave and his very cute bf, Keith, have offered to host the event poolside at their Palm Springs manse.
The Martini Party is a pay-in-advance event. Paypal or mail-a-check details will be posted below by peteropny, the Gayla's official treasurer. The cost is a very reasonable $10 for one alcoholic drink or less and a very reasonable $20 for all-u-can-drink! We will have premium vodka martinis. 4 or 5 kinds. And hors d'ouvres.

Feb 12 Update!:FABULOUS, FUN, FIERCE, FANTASTIC NEWS! DesertDave and his bf, Keith, our Martini Party hosts for this year, are providing a stetch limo for all of the Martini Party guests! This is their GIFT to the Gayla. Isn't that the most amazing thing!!?

ALL GUESTS MUST PARK AT THE DESERT MOON. There is plenty of safe, easy, street parking out front of the DM if you are not a registered guest. The parking in the Dave and Keith's neighborhood is extremely limited and, more importantly, the police patrols are notoriously beefed up for Dinah Shore Weekend. Since the Martini Party starts at 830pm, the first limo will leave the DM at 815pm. The last return car will leave Dave and Keith's at 1145pm for the DM where we will be providing an after-party firepit wind-down. And of course Toucan's is next door. We will have late transpo from Dave and Keith's as well so not to worry. The limo will be out front of either Dave's house or the DM ALL EVENING. (So, when someone forgets their pocketbook, they can run back and get it. Not that they will need it. )

Saturday Day:
-Usually a desert hike in the morning organized by FlyBalletGuy 11ish
-shopping at the Cabazon Outlets organized by peteropny 11ish
-all day scheduled poolside massages organized by your Gayla hosts
-day-long poolside mileage tip sharing

Saturday Dinner
Drinks at 630pm
: Poolside at the Desert Moon Resort.
Dinner and a Show at 730-ishPoolside at the Desert Moon Resort.
Dinner and drinks are all included at $40pp. This includes taxes and grats. Like the Martini Party, Dinner is a pay-in-advance event. Again, Paypal or mail-a-check details will be posted below by peteropny, the Gayla's official treasurer.

Dinner will be a BBQ Buffet with wine and some BBQ-ish alcoholic beverage of our choosing. (Read as 'On Sale at Safeway' ). There will be Beef, Pork Ribs, Chicken and several vegetables and potatoes. Vegans need to PM me. Entertainment will be a surprise. Trust us, it will be the best yet. But bring some singles.

Saturday Night Gay Bar Hopping Organized by we-don't-know-who-yet; str8 contingent organized, this year, by we-don't-know-who-yet; and NOT chaperoned by Wireless or fooko2002 .

Sunday Brunch1130am-ish:
Site TBD. This a pay on your own event. Usually at an outdoor venue that we can get free champagne and good food. YMMV. Our fab brunch will include the World Famous Palm Springs Gayla Gift Swap. This is a bizarre, very fun blind gift swap. Years' past the gifts have been beautiful, cheap, hairy (who can forget the CHP FTer receiving a nicely boxed...errr.. "cigarette"... ), raunchy (one of our dear ones produces XXX videos) and classy ($40 in a nice organic Jamaican wallet! <<waving to Lisa>>). We are hoping for classy and raunchy this year.

Sunday Tea 7pmish:
The gay version of course, which means Sunday Tea DANCE. This has been Beer Bust at the Barracks in the past but will be evening drinks and 10pm drag show. Entertainment provided by fooko2002 (if you tip him). This is one of those comments that gets us in trouble with the FT TalkBoard. Also, a few of us will probably start out at the Barracks at 6pm.

Note: Please do not assume that because someone appears on the "Who is coming list" they are str8 or gay. All are welcome. But we are more than happy to leave your name OFF the list and still have you attend! This has worked well for folks in the past.

================================================== ===
================================================== ===

Who is coming:

DEFINITES:

DesertDave +1
peteropny +1
olafman
JCinNYC +1+ his fag hag, Kristen
Wireless
nroscoe
fooko2002
StSebastian
bluesincenew
FlyBalletGuy
aviation kiwi
Nobbi +1
KenCT
Tennen
bigguyinpasadena
steven james
GoodKarmaGuy + who knows
aluminum tubing
SJC1K
World_Traveler
umguy
Foady
ILuvParis
jockdaaddy
SeaMeFly
ebayj
DFWSkylink
howard socal
PHL BUddy
stratofortress
Barr1965 and maybe +1
dfwoods
izzik
a330Marcus

MAYBES:

rosscali
Malaysian16
beamMeUp38

==================================================
==================================================

The host hotel is the Desert Moon Resort which has a GREAT LOCATION for us. For booking info go to www.desertmoonresort.com. MAKE SURE TO VIEW THE CANCELLATION POLICY. All details and prices are below.

Oh and look for a "Missy" award. In honor of Her Fabness not being able to attend this year. ( )

Before I forget, if you have the chance to fly into Palm Springs for under $300: DO IT. Maybe even under $400 'cause you won't have to rent a car. It is the cutest little airport. The cheaper flights into LAX, SNA, LGB, BUR, SAN will all come with a rental car and a 3 hour drive unless you luck into no traffic. (To do that land at 9am -12noon or after 9pm.)

Most of us are happy to pick folks up at the airport and take you back, too. A car is not necessary.

Last edited by GoodKarmaGuy; Feb 13, 2008 at 9:03 pm
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:49 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by GoodKarmaGuy
Oh and look for a "Missy" award. In honor of Her Fabness not being able to attend this year. ( )
Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

You write the BEST posts, GKG!
Old Nov 26, 2007, 2:17 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Hopefully this tempts you into coming
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:39 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
What a fabulous intoduction to the Desperate FLYERTALK Housewives! ^

Having met some of them, it is all sooooo true!!
Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

**blush**

Well, then I probably shouldn't tell you that I added some and edited that first post to make it "prettier"!

And don't you owe me (us) a Palm Springs Gayla!!?? (You too, AJ. )

Last edited by GoodKarmaGuy; Dec 2, 2007 at 1:48 am
Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:57 am
Original Poster

POLLING QUESTION:

I am booking the entertainment for this year. Do we want firemen? (Even though missydarlin can't be there? )

Hmmmm... I guess this could have been "POLE-ING QUESTION"!

Last edited by GoodKarmaGuy; Dec 22, 2007 at 12:07 pm
Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:59 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
i beg and beg for firemen every year... and you're going to do it when I'm not there? <bigfatpout>
Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Personally I much prefer firetwinks over firemen.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
I didn't know I was desperate - of course its those <blank blank> triplets@:-)
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:54 pm

Could you put me as a "MayBe"? I have to see how's my schedule looks like.

Thanks.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:08 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by missydarlin
i beg and beg for firemen every year... and you're going to do it when I'm not there? <bigfatpout>
Perhaps I should send you my Fireman's calendar I received last year as a Secret Santa gift... HOT HOT HOT!
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:25 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by jan_az
hmmmmm
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jan_az
Ah yes, the Karshner triplets wasn't it? *sigh*

Anyway, I will update the "who's coming" list in a few days. I am off to Palm Springs tomorrow! I will check out some BBQ places too to cater for us o Saturday Dinner poolside.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeaMeFly
Could you put me as a "MayBe"? I have to see how's my schedule looks like.

Thanks.
Yesh. Please come!

I am finally getting around to updating the "who is coming" area.

I just had a TERRIFIC visit with DesertDave and Keith at their beautiful home in Palm Springs. Dave and Keith are hosting the Martini Party at their pool home. They also had a couple of very cool ideas for brunch and some other stuff.

If you need to book a room at the Desert Moon, don't wait!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.